From the comic to the screen.

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Phoenix219

Re: From the comic to the screen.

Post by Phoenix219 »

Dan H wrote:Speaking of time travel, they dropped a really big bomb on the new Terminator movie in Entertainment Weekly.

Supposedly Cameron liked the idea, but man, it really throws a wrench in the works.
Spoiler: show/hide
[youtube][/youtube]

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I'd be for it.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad too?! Joker, Harley Quinn and Lex Luthor all in the same movie? Suicide Squad is shaping up to be pretty awesome movie.
http://collider.com/harley-quinn-suicid ... ot-robbie/

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Yet absolutely nothing to do with the Suicide Squad.

Might as well call it Villains R Us, since it seems to be a generic, lets throw every villain we can think of, together.... yet none of these characters (or their heroes) have even met or had adventures and battles on screen yet. The whole thing just seems a bit hokey to me, and quite a bit jumping the gun....

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Am I the only one who didn't really like Avengers very much? I just felt like the villains in the end were an endless flood of completely nondescript CGI generic baddies out of a wormhole. I didn't care at all about the actual resolution of the fighting. They did a good job bringing so many heroes together, but the conflict of the movie was a real yawn for me.

The movie had a lot of clever dialogue (thanks, Joss Whedon) but it felt extremely "quippy" to me. As if every scene or exchange was just a set up for a sarcastic one-liner.

Also, I had a problem with the collection of heroes and their differing powers. So on one hand you have characters who are super beings and/or literally gods (e.g. Thor) with crazy supernatural powers and strength. Then you have people like the archer and the girl who are literally just ordinary people who wear black leather for some reason. What possible use do those characters have? Why should I care about "guy with a bow" or "sneaky girl who is a thief or hacker or something"? They don't fit in with the likes of Hulk or Thor at all.

I like the X-Men movies a lot more (ignoring all the spin-offs about Wolverine, none of which I have seen). Days of Future Past was a lot of fun, though I dislike the casting of Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique and therefore somewhat dislike the heavy focus on her in DofP.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Hawkeye and the Black Widow are world class spies. It's not like they are Aquaman...

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Mori Chu wrote:Am I the only one who didn't really like Avengers very much? I just felt like the villains in the end were an endless flood of completely nondescript CGI generic baddies out of a wormhole. I didn't care at all about the actual resolution of the fighting. They did a good job bringing so many heroes together, but the conflict of the movie was a real yawn for me.

The movie had a lot of clever dialogue (thanks, Joss Whedon) but it felt extremely "quippy" to me. As if every scene or exchange was just a set up for a sarcastic one-liner.

Also, I had a problem with the collection of heroes and their differing powers. So on one hand you have characters who are super beings and/or literally gods (e.g. Thor) with crazy supernatural powers and strength. Then you have people like the archer and the girl who are literally just ordinary people who wear black leather for some reason. What possible use do those characters have? Why should I care about "guy with a bow" or "sneaky girl who is a thief or hacker or something"? They don't fit in with the likes of Hulk or Thor at all.

I like the X-Men movies a lot more (ignoring all the spin-offs about Wolverine, none of which I have seen). Days of Future Past was a lot of fun, though I dislike the casting of Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique and therefore somewhat dislike the heavy focus on her in DofP.
That's just Whedon dialogue. The differing powers is true to the source material, so hard to say much about that in all honesty. BTW, Thor is not a 'god' per se, just a really long-lived alien. ;) They're trying to keep it as grounded as possible, though I don't know how Doctor Strange is going to deal with that . . .

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I like the Avengers but I had many problems with it overall. I really do not like the whole jokiness of the whole MCU right now, every dramatic and good emotional moment are just ruin with silly one-liners and comedic gags and most of the movies after the first Iron Man have felt like they are from assembly line, just generic quite frankly. That is probably why I liked The Winter Soldier so much, because it cut down the jokes, was mostly serious and had actual plot with severe consequences going forward. It didn’t feel generic like most MCU films right now; it felt like a real movie.
Phoenix219 wrote:Yet absolutely nothing to do with the Suicide Squad.

Might as well call it Villains R Us, since it seems to be a generic, lets throw every villain we can think of, together.... yet none of these characters (or their heroes) have even met or had adventures and battles on screen yet. The whole thing just seems a bit hokey to me, and quite a bit jumping the gun....
I disagree. This is a fantastic way to introduce audiences to the DCU villains. I really do not see why we have to see Deadshot square off against Batman or Captain Boomerang fight the Flash to introduce these characters. You can perfectly set them up in this type of movie. We are pretty much going to see the Justice League get introduced in Batman v Superman and now the next movie that same year will basically introduce audiences to the villains of DCU. Suicide Squad concept is pretty original and David Ayer has done solid work recently so I think this has a real good chance of being good.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Sounds like the Russos will be shepherding the MCU down the road, so that portends well IMO.

I really enjoyed Assault on Arkham, hopefully a movie version of Suicide Squad will be better. ;)

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Dan H wrote:Sounds like the Russos will be shepherding the MCU down the road, so that portends well IMO.

I really enjoyed Assault on Arkham, hopefully a movie version of Suicide Squad will be better. ;)
Agreed about both parts man, Phase 3 is going to be insane!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

These are absolutely horrible...they are fucking hilarious but OMG is this bad...

Dr. Doom is basically going to be an internet forum troll with the user name "Doom" in the new Fantastic Four movie.
He’s Victor Domashev, not Victor Von Doom in our story. And I’m sure I’ll be sent to jail for telling you that. The Doom in ours—I’m a programmer. Very anti-social programmer. And on blogging sites I’m “Doom”.
http://collider.com/doctor-doom-new-ori ... our-movie/

And now this is even worse if true. Sony wants to make an Aunt May movie with no Peter Parker in it, basically making it like Agent Carter but with Aunt May...jeez.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... /?a=110873

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

You almost wish Sony would go belly up so they could get the rights back, LOL.

carey

Post by carey »

I read the Aunt May news this morning. I checked my calendar to see if it was April & I somehow slept through winter like a bear.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Wally_West wrote:I like the Avengers but I had many problems with it overall. I really do not like the whole jokiness of the whole MCU right now, every dramatic and good emotional moment are just ruin with silly one-liners and comedic gags and most of the movies after the first Iron Man have felt like they are from assembly line, just generic quite frankly. That is probably why I liked The Winter Soldier so much, because it cut down the jokes, was mostly serious and had actual plot with severe consequences going forward. It didn’t feel generic like most MCU films right now; it felt like a real movie.
Phoenix219 wrote:Yet absolutely nothing to do with the Suicide Squad.

I disagree. This is a fantastic way to introduce audiences to the DCU villains. I really do not see why we have to see Deadshot square off against Batman or Captain Boomerang fight the Flash to introduce these characters. You can perfectly set them up in this type of movie. We are pretty much going to see the Justice League get introduced in Batman v Superman and now the next movie that same year will basically introduce audiences to the villains of DCU. Suicide Squad concept is pretty original and David Ayer has done solid work recently so I think this has a real good chance of being good.
There is just no way or reason for all these "super villains" to even exist yet, let alone be captured and put to work for the government, in a world where super heroes and crazy stuff is just starting to come out. They are going to be ignoring all the history and in the process, most of the reason and motivation for these characters to even exist - let alone setting them up as villains to *root for* in the suicide squad. It works best with gray area villains, and *lower tier* villains - the Joker? AND Harley? AND Luthor? Sorry, I can't picture Luthor working for *anyone* let alone part of the suicide squad. Deathstroke, sure - he's a DCU super villain that has never really been connected to anyone but the Titans, but for so many entwined, iconic villains to be showing up before they have even met their respective heroes that are JUST starting their careers post MOS, it just rings really hollow to me.
Ring_Wanted wrote:Hawkeye and the Black Widow are world class spies. It's not like they are Aquaman...
Yeah - Aquaman would kick their asses without breaking a sweat. People think he's a wuss because of Superfriends, which was literally the worst representation of him in any media - his representation in, for instance, the game Injustice, is a lot more appropriate to modern aquaman. He is King of Atlantis, super strength to an immense level (ocean pressure at those depths, just for starters) and invulnerability, some variations can control and manipulate water, etc. some quick googling found me this.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman are on the level of Greek Gods, compared to Thor as a Norse God. Hawkeye and Black Widow are more like Arrow and Canary, to be honest.

http://www.newsarama.com/15433-a-laughi ... adass.html

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Phoenix219 wrote: There is just no way or reason for all these "super villains" to even exist yet, let alone be captured and put to work for the government, in a world where super heroes and crazy stuff is just starting to come out. They are going to be ignoring all the history and in the process, most of the reason and motivation for these characters to even exist - let alone setting them up as villains to *root for* in the suicide squad. It works best with gray area villains, and *lower tier* villains - the Joker? AND Harley? AND Luthor? Sorry, I can't picture Luthor working for *anyone* let alone part of the suicide squad. Deathstroke, sure - he's a DCU super villain that has never really been connected to anyone but the Titans, but for so many entwined, iconic villains to be showing up before they have even met their respective heroes that are JUST starting their careers post MOS, it just rings really hollow to me
But not all heroes are just starting out yet; Batman in BvS is said to already be someone who has been on the job for 10-15 years already possibly even more. Apparently Wonder Woman and Aquaman have been around for some time as well, which means there have been heroes in this world for some time. We do not know enough about Flash and Cyborg yet but based on the actors age they probably have not been around for too long or just starting out. It seems MOS will be the coming out party so to speak. These superheroes have been out in the world for many years now but it is now at a point where you can’t ignore that these people exist out in the world. They are probably taking this approach with villains as well. BvS is supposed to take place 2 years after the events of MOS so the world is going to be well aware of Superman and metahumans in general now it seems.

Also I think you can establish most of these characters in the movie itself. Lex will already be establish, he is the villain in BvS. Joker doesn't really need establishing in the typical sense, he is probably one of the most well-known and recognizable villains ever in the history of film and comics, people will know who he is. He will probably be heavily referenced in BvS or even might cameo for all we know. Harley can be easily established in the movie itself. Also Harley will probably be the only one of those three to be an actual member of the Squad. Most likely Joker and Lex will not be members. Lex will either be the target of the Suicide Squad or just some one behind the scenes. Joker will probably play a part similar to the one in Assault on Arkham or maybe something less. Those are probably the only A-list villains in the movie really. I think Captain Boomerang is the only one truly confirmed at this point. I think the rest will be "Lower tier" villains as you say. I would imagine they will be very much grounded too, no super powered villains but I could be wrong. Assault on Arkham is probably a good example of how Joker and Harley could work in a Suicide Squad movie.

Also I have confidence in the director David Ayer. Based on Fury, End of Watch and Training Day I think we could potentially get a really bad ass movie.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Phoenix219 wrote: Yeah - Aquaman would kick their asses without breaking a sweat. People think he's a wuss because of Superfriends, which was literally the worst representation of him in any media - his representation in, for instance, the game Injustice, is a lot more appropriate to modern aquaman. He is King of Atlantis, super strength to an immense level (ocean pressure at those depths, just for starters) and invulnerability, some variations can control and manipulate water, etc. some quick googling found me this.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman are on the level of Greek Gods, compared to Thor as a Norse God. Hawkeye and Black Widow are more like Arrow and Canary, to be honest.

http://www.newsarama.com/15433-a-laughi ... adass.html
Listen to this man on this one, Aquaman is dude not to be fucked with yo. He could arguably fuck up the whole avengers by himself.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Haha I know. He is one of my favs, but the internet has given him this stupid reputation of being useless.