From the comic to the screen.

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: From the comic to the screen.

Post by Superbone »

When I think of Star Wars, I think of the original three and of course Return of the Jedi was the weakest by far of those. I don't even consider I, II, and III. They are like bastard step-children.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

carey wrote:But 5 is quite possibly one of the best movies of all time. I watch it two or 3 times a year. Simply fantastic.
Yeah, that's my favorite in the series. Although looking back, the Lannister kiss in it is still creepy.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:When I think of Star Wars, I think of the original three and of course Return of the Jedi was the weakest by far of those. I don't even consider I, II, and III. They are like bastard step-children.

My first viewing of the original Star Wars was bootlegs of the original unaltered versions, free from George Lucas' fat money grubbing fingers. Every time I see these new versions with CGI and other added shit, I usually just turn the channel. I remember liking Empire Strikes Back very much as a kid and seeing it with CGI and other crap just seems so wrong. For that reason it I haven’t actually watched the original first two movies in years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Superbone wrote:When I think of Star Wars, I think of the original three and of course Return of the Jedi was the weakest by far of those. I don't even consider I, II, and III. They are like bastard step-children.

My first viewing of the original Star Wars was bootlegs of the original unaltered versions, free from George Lucas' fat money grubbing fingers. Every time I see these new versions with CGI and other added shit, I usually just turn the channel. I remember liking Empire Strikes Back very much as a kid and seeing it with CGI and other crap just seems so wrong. For that reason it I haven’t actually watched the original first two movies in years.
I still remember the day I saw the original, waiting in a line with my mom that wrapped around the building at the Cine Capri in Phoenix. It was a glorious experience in that theater with a sold out crowd.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Wally_West wrote:

Wally, do yourself a favor and torrent the Despecialized version. PM me for details. They are painstakingly created to mirror the original theatrical release put together from various official releases like old laser discs, foreign releases, etc. They've been color corrected, all the added scenes and chi removed. It's fantastic. It's worth the 12Gig download.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Episode 1 was too cheesy and lacked real action, but the other two weren't bad as long as you don't approach them with the reverence of a sacred object.

Other franchises have been butchered way worse. Predator/Alien, for instance.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Star Trek > Star Wars

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Spoiler: show/hide

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Guess no one will be bitching at me come GoT time next year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Guess no one will be bitching at me come GoT time next year.
I haven't started watching the series yet (or read any of the books) so I appreciate it.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Avengers 2 trailer. Looks so dope. I can't wait.

[youtube][/youtube]
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Wally, if you haven't found that despecialized star wars yet, i HIGHLY suggest THIS version, instead:

http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/about-revisited/

It is BY FAR the best, cleanest, tightest, most perfect cut of Star Wars I have ever seen. I have a few fan edits if people want to check them out. A pretty awesome Weapon X cut of Wolverine Origins, and a sweet new take on Dark Knight, called the rise and fall of Harvey Twoface. An alternate cut of Superman Returns... someone even recut the entire last season of How I Met Your Mother. Fan edits give new life to old movies. I'm still trying to find a copy of a "fixed" Fan Edit of Blade 3.

I even have a 30 minute cut of Planet of the Apes (original) that is cut down and altered to appear as a classic episode of the Twilight zone, and a cut of the TOS Trek episode "Menagerie" with all the flashbacks removed. Some pretty cool shit out there.

Fanedits are the hardest thing to find on the internet.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

carey wrote:Avengers 2 trailer. Looks so dope. I can't wait.

[youtube][/youtube]
Yep! I am glad it looks more cinematic this time too. The first Avengers really did look like a TV movie.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Phoenix219 wrote:Wally, if you haven't found that despecialized star wars yet, i HIGHLY suggest THIS version, instead:

It is BY FAR the best, cleanest, tightest, most perfect cut of Star Wars I have ever seen. I have a few fan edits if people want to check them out. A pretty awesome Weapon X cut of Wolverine Origins, and a sweet new take on Dark Knight, called the rise and fall of Harvey Twoface. An alternate cut of Superman Returns... someone even recut the entire last season of How I Met Your Mother. Fan edits give new life to old movies. I'm still trying to find a copy of a "fixed" Fan Edit of Blade 3.

I even have a 30 minute cut of Planet of the Apes (original) that is cut down and altered to appear as a classic episode of the Twilight zone, and a cut of the TOS Trek episode "Menagerie" with all the flashbacks removed. Some pretty cool shit out there.

Fanedits are the hardest thing to find on the internet.
Very cool, I have heard about these fan edits but never actually seen one though so yeah I am interested in checking them out.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Well I have like 7 terabytes of games, movies and tv, so just send me a PM - i think i could upload to dropbox, give you a download link, and then erase the file. I'll try to make a list of whatever fanedits i already have. they are hard to find, so if anyone ever runs into any, i'd appreciate the info. ;)

carey

Post by carey »

Phoenix219 wrote:Wally, if you haven't found that despecialized star wars yet, i HIGHLY suggest THIS version, instead:

You prefer this to despecialized?? Despecialized is as close to the real theatrical experience as is currently humanly possible to get. Or are you saying you like it as much but for different reasons?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Its just an amazing cut - crystal clear, vibrant colors, perfect musical cues, every laser actually goes from blaster to target; for me, it is the definitive Star Wars. Just look at the work and care put into this:

http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/anhr-change-list/

It is the Perfect Star Wars, IMO.

carey

Post by carey »

Phoenix219 wrote:Its just an amazing cut - crystal clear, vibrant colors, perfect musical cues, every laser actually goes from blaster to target; for me, it is the definitive Star Wars. Just look at the work and care put into this:

http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/anhr-change-list/

It is the Perfect Star Wars, IMO.
The despecialized is just as long. Color corrections, scene edits, etc. The change log is fairly enormous and I can't really comprehend all the things they did because it's completely beyond me. I guess it depends on what you're after. The original movie-going experience of Star Wars or a new experience all together.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SDC

Post by SDC »

Dan H wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy - best movie of the year IMO.
what's your opinion on Captain America 2, Days of Future Past and Avengers 1?