From the comic to the screen.

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Phoenix219

Re: From the comic to the screen.

Post by Phoenix219 »

Avengers 1 was great the first time I saw it, but really doesn't do it for me on repeat viewings. Great spectacle, but somethings lacking to me.

Days of Future Past was fantastic. The best X Men movie I've ever seen, and leaves it in a wide open, brand new place for the franchise, without completely trampling on its own past. Awesome stuff.

Loved the first Captain America, but haven't seen the second yet. It was ruined for me by SHIELD, so I haven't bothered yet.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Finally watched Days of Future Past. I enjoyed it a lot. I was really immersed. The only thing that irks me is that
Spoiler: show/hide
Wolverine, Bolivar Trask, Young Magneto, Quicksilver and Raven were awesome.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I know there was a whole scene that wasn't ready at release, where
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing any director's cut or deleted scenes.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Phoenix219 wrote:Avengers 1 was great the first time I saw it, but really doesn't do it for me on repeat viewings. Great spectacle, but somethings lacking to me.

Days of Future Past was fantastic. The best X Men movie I've ever seen, and leaves it in a wide open, brand new place for the franchise, without completely trampling on its own past. Awesome stuff.

Loved the first Captain America, but haven't seen the second yet. It was ruined for me by SHIELD, so I haven't bothered yet.
i hated the avengers' third act. i wasnt impressed when whedon flooded the screen with CGI robots.

DOFP i thought was the best comic book movie of the year. (i havent seen GOTG yet)

winter soldier is just a good action movie, with nice cinematography and action sequences. an action movie more than a comic book movie.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Yeah, i've heard it compared to a 70s spy movie or something of that effect. I actually am looking forward to seeing it eventually; I loved the first movie's adventure / Indiana Jones style for the 1940s, and love the thought that each movie can be a different styles, tell different stories, use different combinations of characters, and express different sides of Cap's personality. The Iron Man movies have been getting worse since the first one, and Hulk didn't even rate for a second movie, so thats very cool for Cap, IMO.

carey

Post by carey »

The Winter Soldier was my favorite film for '14. I've seen it 4 times. I liked GotG as well but it wasn't as good imho.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I like Winter Soldier but after like the 7th viewing it gets sort of predictable and boring...

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Still love GOTG but Cap 2 is a close 2nd.

I could watch that Age of Ultron trailer over and over . . . ung.

My wife and I just got into Blacklist and binge-watched the first season in a couple weeks so we're already digging the antihero vibe James Spader puts out.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

SDC

Post by SDC »

i only got to see the first hour of TMNT remake, but what i did see was impressive in terms of CGI. so real they (the turtles) looked like 6-foot guys wearing costumes.
Last edited by SDC on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

That movie was awful.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Indy wrote:That movie was awful.
My seven-year old even thought so, as well!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mine too (girl). But my five year old loved it (boy)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Avengers 1 was great the first time I saw it, but really doesn't do it for me on repeat viewings. Great spectacle, but somethings lacking to me.

Caught up on the Marvel stuff this weekend with Cap 2 and Days of Future Past...I thought Avengers was awesome. They really did a great job with the story and balancing all the characters within the story, action and screen time. Was really impressed with it. Cap 1 was pretty good but i thought the last 2/3s of it fell off after the beginning. Cap 2 was better and felt more like Avengers.
DOFP was also entertaining. First Class was pretty good but i wasn't crazy about the younger mutants. Loved McAvoy's Xavier and Fassbenger's Magneto and thought they really carried the movie. Same this time around...and honestly, is anyone better right now than Hugh Jackman as Wolverine? He's just killing it, and having fun doing so. In general though, I have an issue with time travel plots because
Last edited by ShelC on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

carey

Post by carey »

That was the intention Shel & there is a spoiler tag available to use now. :p
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

There we go!

I don't like it then.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Speaking of time travel, they dropped a really big bomb on the new Terminator movie in Entertainment Weekly.

Supposedly Cameron liked the idea, but man, it really throws a wrench in the works.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

ShelC wrote:There we go!

I don't like it then.
Yeah, that was the whole point.... to 1) bring characters back from the dead, 2) wipe out movies that had contradictory canon (Wolverine Origins was completely ignored by this movie) and 3) because of that, the ability to completely reboot Gambit and Wolverine.

The original movies were done, and not going to be revisited - thats why we have First Class. Instead of just getting a sequel to First Class (reboot movies) we got a sequel to EVERYTHING, and got a fresh start out of the deal - I don't think it could have been handled any better, and people like Shel got to see the original characters one more time.

I'm guessing we'll see younger versions of those characters in the next movie (Apocolypse) played by new actors.

The success of the old cast in DOFP does allow the possiblity of one more "old school" X men movie as well, which wouldn't have happened otherwise by any chance. Even the end of DOFP with
wouldn't have happened without the
so that alone should have been worth it for fans of the OT.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Dan H wrote:Speaking of time travel, they dropped a really big bomb on the new Terminator movie in Entertainment Weekly.

Supposedly Cameron liked the idea, but man, it really throws a wrench in the works.
Definitely sounds like a reboot on one hand, while using time travel on the other, rather like the new Trek and X Men movies, using a soft reboot where the old universe literally causes the new universe, but lets the story start at the beginning again. (Although part of me just can't stop thinking about Robot Chicken right now....) - but at the same time it makes sense; every attempt by Skynet will involve time travel, and thus be slightly different. Going back farther, after 2 and 3 of going back not as far, definitely does wipe out the earlier movies. I guess I can dig it.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Dan H wrote:
Indy wrote:That movie was awful.
My seven-year old even thought so, as well!
the guy who directed TMNT should get a gig at marvel or DC. really impressive CGI work (i give it A+). There's hope for the CGI Fantastic Four "Thing"