From the comic to the screen.

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Ring_Wanted

From the comic to the screen.

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Since there is a thread dedicated to comic books, I though some would like to dis·cuss about comic book adaptations.

What movie sucked the most?
Best one? As an adaptation? Just best film in general? Which one made you loss your faith in this genre? Etc.

Herehttp://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/cha ... ESC&p=.htmis a list of movies made from comic books since the absolutely glorious Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 1993.

Ring_Wanted

Re: From the comic to the screen.

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I'll go first.

Last week I watched X-Men first Class for the first time. This has been the first time I've paid attention to superhero movies in a long time and I have to say that It's good. Fassbender makes a very interesting young Magneto. Xavier is not bad either, but not as good. There is also a decent plot and some quality effects.

So that's how I am back into Marvel movies (DC will have to wait after the new Batman).

carey

Post by carey »

An absolutely horrid adaptation of some really great source material is The Losers. Check out the two trades, they are great. Jason Patrick ruined that fucking movie with his over the top camera mugging schtick. Asshole.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

On the list of things that can go either way...

The original Korean "Oldboy" adapted from a manga and then the U.S. version, also adapted from the manga. The original is amazing and timeless, the remake is shite.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I'll go first.

Last week I watched X-Men first Class for the first time. This has been the first time I've paid attention to superhero movies in a long time and I have to say that It's good. Fassbender makes a very interesting young Magneto. Xavier is not bad either, but not as good. There is also a decent plot and some quality effects.

So that's how I am back into Marvel movies (DC will have to wait after the new Batman).
The next movie is going to be INSANE.... its an adaption of Days of Future Past, a multiple time lines crossover event that merges the First Class soft reboot with the original trilogy and will end with a restored status quo launching into a new set of movies with Apocolypse as the big bad.

carey

Post by carey »

Phoenix219 wrote:The next movie is going to be INSANE.... its an adaption of Days of Future Past, a multiple time lines crossover event that merges the First Class soft reboot with the original trilogy and will end with a restored status quo launching into a new set of movies with Apocolypse as the big bad.
The only thing that bugs me about it is that it seems like they took the Wolverine & the X-Men cartoon and just translated it to the big screen. I mean, it's a good cartoon, probably the best Marvel has done, but I'm kind of surprised at the rehash. However, it does seem to meet the goal of rebooting with the new characters. Kind of excited to see what they do with Apocalypse. Even though I'm a DC guy, I do enjoy the MCU.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

carey wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:The next movie is going to be INSANE.... its an adaption of Days of Future Past, a multiple time lines crossover event that merges the First Class soft reboot with the original trilogy and will end with a restored status quo launching into a new set of movies with Apocolypse as the big bad.
The only thing that bugs me about it is that it seems like they took the Wolverine & the X-Men cartoon and just translated it to the big screen. I mean, it's a good cartoon, probably the best Marvel has done, but I'm kind of surprised at the rehash. However, it does seem to meet the goal of rebooting with the new characters. Kind of excited to see what they do with Apocalypse. Even though I'm a DC guy, I do enjoy the MCU.
Haven't seen that cartoon - Tend to stick towards DC stuff in that regard - even though everything good seems to get cancelled, but anyways...the story was also done (in a form) in the 90s X Men: Animated Series. Its not that they are rehashing... but rather that its one of the most iconic X Men stories out there, so it gets redone in various formats.

I actually don't think its going to be a "reboot with the new characters"... but considering X3 ended with Jean and Scott dead, and all sorts of timeline discontinuity between the XTrilogy and First Class, I think its more of a way to merge the two timelines while ressurecting dead characters; They can come out the other side using whoever and whatever they want.

Speaking of cartoons, what do you think of the new batch of CGI styled cartoons? Green Lantern: The Animated Series, Beware the Batman, Transformers Prime,e tc.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I don't know what will happen with Days of Future Past, but linking it credibly to X3 won't be easy, at least if they plan to keep internal coherence, but we'll see. They have credit after First Class. And if En sabah Nur is the next foe, all the better, because that will open the door to the Dark Riders arc, which could be brutal.

By the way, I just watched Thor and Thor 2 and weren't too bad either. The ending of the Dark World was not unexpected but it was cool. I didn't really like the battles because I found the enemies and their weapons quite cheesy, above all the 'ether' stuff, but Asgard is interesting in general.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I don't know what will happen with Days of Future Past, but linking it credibly to X3 won't be easy, at least if they plan to keep internal coherence, but we'll see. They have credit after First Class. And if En sabah Nur is the next foe, all the better, because that will open the door to the Dark Riders arc, which could be brutal.

By the way, I just watched Thor and Thor 2 and weren't too bad either. The ending of the Dark World was not unexpected but it was cool. I didn't really like the battles because I found the enemies and their weapons quite cheesy, above all the 'ether' stuff, but Asgard is interesting in general.
I've purposefully stayed away from most spoilers, but the link is Wolverine.... the Professor was still alive in the post credits scene in X3... so what i'm guessing is that the original trilogy is all on the "bad timeline" that leads to Days of Future Past, and that X3 Magneto and Charles send X3 Wolverine into the time stream (or to start Bishop into the time stream) and that by the end, the X3 timeline is wiped out and replaced by the "right" timeline which also gives them a clean slate for a present day continuation/soft reboot.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

The Marvel X-men movies have been great for the most part and I can’t wait for Days and future past.
Marvels studios movies on the other hand have been hit or miss for me only because of overly joking nature of some of them. I understand having levity in your comic book movies but some of the recent outings seem like they were just comedies that happened to have superheroes in it. Like Iron Man 3 and the first Thor which I didn't care for. I also think it sets a very bad precedent that every comic book movie has to be lighthearted and for the whole family, not that there is anything wrong with those movies, it can be really awesome when done right, but that shouldn't be the standard for what all comic book movies have to be like. I like Captain America a lot and can’t wait for Winter Soldier which literally looks like the best marvel movie yet besides The Avengers.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/m ... a-3-688384
So this is going to be interesting, any thoughts on this? I think this bad for both Marvel and DC/Warners bros.

carey

Post by carey »

One will blink.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Wally_West wrote:The Marvel X-men movies have been great for the most part and I can’t wait for Days and future past.
Marvels studios movies on the other hand have been hit or miss for me only because of overly joking nature of some of them. I understand having levity in your comic book movies but some of the recent outings seem like they were just comedies that happened to have superheroes in it. Like Iron Man 3 and the first Thor which I didn't care for. I also think it sets a very bad precedent that every comic book movie has to be lighthearted and for the whole family, not that there is anything wrong with those movies, it can be really awesome when done right, but that shouldn't be the standard for what all comic book movies have to be like. I like Captain America a lot and can’t wait for Winter Soldier which literally looks like the best marvel movie yet besides The Avengers.
At least the newest batches look better than the likes of Hulk, Fantantic Four, Wolverine 1 and 2 and many others.

Ideally, the lighthearted tone would be replaced by more adult content, but the studios need be able to put as many people as possible on the seats, so the style will never be as crude as it should to satisfy diehard fans.

Personally, I'd die to watch Wolverine go real berserk mode and amputate, tear up and rip off soldiers, other mutants, sentinels, anything.

The fight against Sabertooth from either the Ultimates or the classic Wolverine series (right before the stop for the Apocalypse era) would be one for the ages if it was filmed without restrictions.

TOO

Post by TOO »

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... -suit.html

TVs have screens.. Don't like the suit.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Fox and Sony's Marvel movies are somewhat hit and miss for me. Liked Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 and X-Men, lukewarm on Fantastic Four, X2 and X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine; thumbs down to Daredevil, Spider-Man 3, X-Men: The Last Stand, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider.

One of their problems is the translation of the characters from comics to the screen - they've tended to piecemeal the X-Men stories together with less success than Marvel Studios has done, and the Fantastic Four movies really haven't been any better.

Marvel Studios has done a much better job of bringing the appealing qualities of their characters to the big screen - although there were a couple that were disappointing (Iron Man 2 comes to mind right away).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

Iron Man 2 started filming without a script. Nothing more than plot points. They wrote as they filmed.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Ugh to Daredevil, Ghost Rider, FF, Spiderman 3, Blade 3, Hulks, Wolverines, Hellboy (only good thing in my opinion is Selma Blair), Green Lantern.

I have to watch Iron Man. I downloaded the first one and lasted 15 mins, but I'll give it a second chance.

Loved Sin City, 300, Blade, Spawn in a bizarre way.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Honestly of the Marvel movies so far, I have only liked the Avengers, The first Ironman, and the first Captain America. The first Thor I felt was bad and the 2nd one after repeated viewings actually seems mediocre now. The winter soldier however has to be the best solo Marvel movie by far, like leaps and bounds type far. My biggest complaint about the Marvel movies has been that they have been pretty much comedies and that comedy often seemed forced too. Not all the movies were like that, but many of them were. This Movie changes that, for the most part it is very serious, there are jokes but they are natural and organic to the situation so I didn't have any problems with it. Some of the dialogue is a bit cheesy, and I saw some things coming a mile away but those are minor gripes. Overall, this is a must see movie. Sorry for the rant, but many of the marvel movies have been frustrating to see but this is a great example about how these movies should be like going forward.
Last edited by Wally_West on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carey

Post by carey »

Winter Soldier is the best Marvel movie period. Better than the Avengers because it has a plot. And while there is a MacGuffin in Winter Soldier it is no where near the whole film like the Avengers is. If I had the extra cash I'd see it another two or three times in the theatre. Alas....
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

Does anyone think that one of the Avengers movies lead to the civil war? I would love to see that on the big screen, but i doubt thay show Captain America getting his head shot off like in the graphic novel.
You sold me two quier giraffes