Video Games

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Indy

Re: Video Games

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
DrSublime wrote:iirc , read somewhere a while back Chuck was in real life, no shoes, 6'3
I just have a hard time believing that.
Majerle seemed to tower over him. And he was listed at 6-6. I am sure that is in shoes like they measure all the guys.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Superbone wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Superbone wrote:C'mon. He's not shorter than 6'4". Give me a break.
I know...it was the part about the elbows and the no-call travel that was real.

Like I said, maybe he was slouching. But we were eye to eye, and I may even fudge my 6'4 number a bit (which is why I love my hiking boots).
Well, I'm glad you got the whole Chuck experience.
Still wasn't as good as my Oliver Miller experience, getting to watch him eat two full size Cinnabuns in about 15 minutes. But, the joys of working in the mall as a kid, you get to see things.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I say the over/under is 6'5" in shoes during his playing days. He's probably a little bit shorter now, naturally.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I say the over/under is 6'5" in shoes during his playing days. He's a lot wider now, naturally.
Fixed it for you. :)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Hey bone. I just played a gig with a 6'10" bone player. I am 6'1" and he towered above me. I have noticed a lot of them are tall. Must be a prerequisite.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:Hey bone. I just played a gig with a 6'10" bone player. I am 6'1" and he towered above me. I have noticed a lot of them are tall. Must be a prerequisite.
Nah, not a prerequisite. You've got me in height by a good three inches. I do have very long arms but that helps me more in basketball than it does trombone playing. As far as prerequisites for bone players, a good sense of humor is probably at the top of the list.

What I want to know is what it's like to be a high speed certified driver and what that entails!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ha, the certifying for high speed driving was the high point. GM had their own sort of navy seal driving team called Traffic Safety who trained all the drivers and even trained a lot of local police and fire in driving techniques. They also did a lot of fancy driving demonstrations for events and VIPs. They were separate from all the other drivers and also doubled as sort of GM drivers police trying to catch drivers who weren't doing what they were supposed to on the grounds. If you were selected to try out for high speed driving they tested your skills. They set up a track made of cones in the middle of a big open slab of asphalt. One of the Traffic Safety guys would race the course with you as a passenger driving a regular car like a Buick Skylark or something. They would time his race and you had to come within a few seconds of his time or you were out. Every cone you hit was an additional second off your time. If you passed that test they moved on to a Corvette and did the same thing. If you passed you were a high speed driver. I have to say that was the biggest adrenalin boost I have ever had and the most fun. Normally you aren't allowed to race any cars in life, so it was like "I'm legally driving like a total maniac!" I managed to pass and stopped to get out of the car to get a drink and I noticed my hands were shaking from the adreneline.

After certifying it wasn't as much fun, but still you got to do some more interesting driving than the normal boring durability testing most drivers did. The majority of the high speed driving was on the five mile circular track driving in the left lane that was banked to where you could go 100 mph + and let go of the steering wheel and it would stay right in the groove indefinitely. 115 was the top speed I was allowed to go. In those test you would just drive around in a big circle all day rotating between different speeds every so often you would push a button that would take readings for whatever tests they were monitoring every so many miles. The cars had roll cages, four point safety harnesses and cool sort of police lights flashing warning everybody else on the track of your approach. The scary part was there were four lanes on the track and the first two were for drivers doing stop and go testing. You weren't supposed to stop in the third lane ever and were supposed to go between 40-80 mph in that lane if I remember right. Sometimes the traffic would get a little congested and somebody would be in the fourth lane as I approached and every once in awhile I had to break speed to avoid them even though they were supposed to stay out of my way. It was always engineers and not regular test drivers. Engineers pretty much did whatever they wanted and broke all kinds of driving rules. I probably drove high speed once a week and the rest was whatever. Sometimes you would be assigned to driving a truck and backing up and down a 100' hill all day counting fifty reps before doing a cool down lap and repeating the whole process all day long. Sometimes you would drive around a parking lot at five mph all day simulating parking lot driving. Zzzzzz. In other words it wasn't always exciting test driving. More often than not it was boring as hell.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Pretty cool to be able to put that on your resume.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I'm sure it was TMI. I went to school in LA and got a job as a messenger to fill in the blanks. Then when I moved back to AZ got a job as a messenger here too to fill in the blanks as well. A friend from high school was an engineer at GM and hooked me up with the job because it was better than being a messenger. The job was 50 miles from my house making it a 100 mile round trip every day plus driving all day on the job and playing gigs at night. I should have bought stock in No-Doze. It's the only thing that kept me alive.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Madden 16 anyone?

I haven't played a Madden game i probably 10 years, but I just fired it up the new one today.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Madden 16 anyone?

I haven't played a Madden game i probably 10 years, but I just fired it up the new one today.
Let me know how the play by play and color commentary is. A friend of mine took it over this year.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:

Let me know how the play by play and color commentary is. A friend of mine took it over this year.
I've only played a couple of games so far, but I've noticed one strange thing so far. I scored a passing TD with :05 left in the game and the Phil Sims was going on and on about scoring on the last play to win the game despite there being :05 left to play. I kicked off and tackled the returner with :01 left and the other color commentator said that they wouldn't have enough time for another play, but they still had :01 to throw a hailmary pass.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I've only played a couple of games so far, but I've noticed one strange thing so far. I scored a passing TD with :05 left in the game and the Phil Sims was going on and on about scoring on the last play to win the game despite there being :05 left to play. I kicked off and tackled the returner with :01 left and the other color commentator said that they wouldn't have enough time for another play, but they still had :01 to throw a hailmary pass.
Early fail!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Early fail!
I guess he came in at the midpoint of development and wasn't able to affect much change. Maybe next year.
"Be Legendary."