Obligatory Walking Dead Thread

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Re: Obligatory Walking Dead Thread

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:And do we really need spoiler tags in a thread about TWD when we are only discussing items that have already been broadcast?
Well, it just happened. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to people that aren't up to the minute on the show. I know I DVR many shows and I'm not always totally up to date.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:And do we really need spoiler tags in a thread about TWD when we are only discussing items that have already been broadcast?
Well, it just happened. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to people that aren't up to the minute on the show. I know I DVR many shows and I'm not always totally up to date.
I DVR most of my shows too. I am just thinking how ridiculous it would look if we used spoiler tags in a game-day thread while the game was going on. :P Same thing here, IMO.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'll go with the wishes of the board. I was just trying to be on the side of caution. I know I wouldn't read this thread if I hadn't watched the episode yet.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:I'll go with the wishes of the board. I was just trying to be on the side of caution. I know I wouldn't read this thread if I hadn't watched the episode yet.
I am the same way. Especially because it doesn't even help if you use tapatalk to read the board, and the last post has tags. It still shows. So I avoid any threads for shows I am not up to date.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I had read the spoilers about who dies in the comics,
Spoiler: show/hide
Between the show last night and the cardinals game, my anxiety kept me up all night.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:I had read the spoilers about who dies in the comics,
Between the show last night and the cardinals game, my anxiety kept me up all night.
I shut off the Cards game at midnight (here in the Eastern time zone) and assumed they wouldn't win. I guess I was right, but not in the way expected.

I am not surprised they followed the comics on this one. This is a big reset for the story, and it wouldn't have been near as meaningful if it wasn't Glenn. I was amazed at how well they got the on-screen image to match the comic for that death.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
I shut off the Cards game at midnight (here in the Eastern time zone) and assumed they wouldn't win. I guess I was right, but not in the way expected.

I am not surprised they followed the comics on this one. This is a big reset for the story, and it wouldn't have been near as meaningful if it wasn't Glenn. I was amazed at how well they got the on-screen image to match the comic for that death.
I haven't read the comic but I agree with a lot of others online that it was too over the top. Sure, the show is about zombies and gross stuff but most of the violence is against the undead. When it's human on human, it's a different story. That was a little too graphic for my taste.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

I haven't read the comic but I agree with a lot of others online that it was too over the top. Sure, the show is about zombies and gross stuff but most of the violence is against the undead. When it's human on human, it's a different story. That was a little too graphic for my taste.
Interesting take. I don't see it as a zombie show at all. I see it as a morality play. And the first season ended with Rick killing Shane. Then he had to kill his wife. Carol killed the kiddos. You can say they waited to kill them until they turned, but the show has always been very graphic. It was disturbing, sure. It was supposed to be. Otherwise, it wouldn't have the same effect. If you didn't feel that the way Rick felt it, you wouldn't believe he is completely broken.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I thought how graphic it was is absolutely great and refreshing for network television. I don't watch the show for romance and farming. I watch it to see zombies, conflict, survival. It was awesome. I think the people that are swearing off the show because of the graphic nature of this episode are probably better off not watching anyway.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

,It was definitely graphic. My wife wouldn't watch it. I had to tell her who was killed. I'm ok with it but it was disturbing to watch. It is different when you know it's zombies. Seeing a person enjoy crushing another persons skull in is messed up. My wife watches a lot real life crime shows on tv and this stuff and even worse does happen in real life.

On a side note. I think Neegan is a cool character but, I think he is a little whimpy physically for his character. They dress him up in leather to make him look tough and his acting is great. I just think most of the guys he leads could kick his ass.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:,It was definitely graphic. My wife wouldn't watch it. I had to tell her who was killed. I'm ok with it but it was disturbing to watch. It is different when you know it's zombies. Seeing a person enjoy crushing another persons skull in is messed up. My wife watches a lot real life crime shows on tv and this stuff and even worse does happen in real life.

On a side note. I think Neegan is a cool character but, I think he is a little whimpy physically for his character. They dress him up in leather to make him look tough and his acting is great. I just think most of the guys he leads could kick his ass.
Heh. And what's up with the scarf? I think one of the twists will be that he is a gay man. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

No comments on the latest episode?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:,It was definitely graphic. My wife wouldn't watch it. I had to tell her who was killed. I'm ok with it but it was disturbing to watch. It is different when you know it's zombies. Seeing a person enjoy crushing another persons skull in is messed up. My wife watches a lot real life crime shows on tv and this stuff and even worse does happen in real life.

There are two problems with Neegan so far. First, despite the actor being very good, he isn't as physically intimidating as Neegan in the comics. He is much larger. Second, he can't talk like Neegan in the comics, or they would be bleeping every 4th word. It seems to undermine the character, who is way scary in the books.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

On the other hand, King Ezekiel may be one of the coolest characters in quite some time. He has a very theatrical flair, but there seems to be another interesting persona beneath the façade. I like that he sees through Carol's dippy 'blue skies" act. He senses her worth as well as, perhaps, her battles with inner conflicts.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:On the other hand, King Ezekiel may be one of the coolest characters in quite some time. He has a very theatrical flair, but there seems to be another interesting persona beneath the façade. I like that he sees through Carol's dippy 'blue skies" act. He senses her worth as well as, perhaps, her battles with inner conflicts.
Yeah, that was fun. That episode needed to be very light hearted after the previous one. Oh, and LL, dueces!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And back to the dark episodes. I wanted Daryl to just play along and get his revenge later but no...

Here are a couple of my thoughts. The Negan takeover reminds me of when the Cylons took over on Battlestar Galactica. Also, Negan's character doesn't really make sense to me. If you are such an asshole to even your righthand man, eventually it's going to backfire. I don't see why his men would continue to, pardon my pun, go to bat for him since he's such a dick.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

His right hand man is broken. He still has a shred of humanity left in him. Daryl is a proud stubborn man. Negan should just kill him but his ego is so yuge that he won't be satisfied until he has broken the guy first. I like trying to figure out where they are going. I think his right hand man will let Daryl go and then have a date with Lucille as payback. Daryl will find his way back to the group who will hide him from Negan. Lucille will be used on Negan at some point. I think Ricks group and the Kingdom will join forces at some point along with perhaps other groups to defeat Negan. Then they will live happily ever after. Then again this is the Walking Dead and nobody lives happily ever after.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How do you know that the walking dead are unhappy?
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They seem unhappy. Always so hungry. Not too many veegans.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:And back to the dark episodes. I wanted Daryl to just play along and get his revenge later but no...

Here are a couple of my thoughts. The Negan takeover reminds me of when the Cylons took over on Battlestar Galactica. Also, Negan's character doesn't really make sense to me. If you are such an asshole to even your righthand man, eventually it's going to backfire. I don't see why his men would continue to, pardon my pun, go to bat for him since he's such a dick.
It is a very strong leader that can get a person you have completely humiliated, viscerated, and cuckolded, to be your right hand man willingly. And I have a hard time thinking that D is his first right hand man... I am betting those that don't perform this way end up on a spike, after they watched their loved ones live out a worse fate. Sure, it may come back to bite him in the end, but breaking people isn't a temporary thing. There aren't a lot of psychologists around to help.