Bill Simmons suspended by ESPN.

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
carey

Bill Simmons suspended by ESPN.

Post by carey »

For his comments about Goodell. I listened to the podcast before they took it down. He was not kind.

Here's some excerpts I found on-line.
"It was like watching the guy who ran Enron...he's like Nixon, he's in total denial. The biggest part is how buddy buddy some owners are with him. In 2007, after Spygate, I wanted it to go away as fast as possible. And it did...it's never been explained why he destroyed that evidence. This...feels like elements of that, he has a buddy owning a team, and he tried to make it go away as fast as possible.

If Goodell says he didn't know what was on the tape, he's a liar. I'm just saying it. He is lying. That dude is lying, if you put him up on a lie detector test, that guy would fail. And for all these people to pretend they didn't know, it's such ******* ********. It's ******* ********. For him to go to that press conference and pretend otherwise, I was so insulted. I really was.

The best point a lot of people have made about this is that this is exactly why he fined and suspended Sean Payton for a season. Sean Payton was like, 'I didn't know,' and he was like, 'Ignorance is not a whatever' and suspended him for a year. This is the same exact situation and it's worse! 'Cause he knew! And he's a liar!

This whole thing really ****** me off and I don't know why...I just really hate liars. We know you're lying!...Roger Goodell has no integrity whatsoever.

I really hope somebody calls me or E-Mails me and says I'm in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell. If one person says that to me, I'm going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner's a liar, and I get to talk about that on my podcast, thank you. Please, call me and say I'm in trouble. I dare you."
Looks like they decided to call his bluff. I really hope he explodes and leaks every dirty little thing he knows about Goodell and the players that despise him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Re: Bill Simmons suspended by ESPN.

Post by Indy »

Agreed.

Sent using Tapatalk

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was just coming here to post about this.

It's pretty ridiculous. All over ESPN's family of web sites and broadcasts you have people tearing into Goodell, writing columns about his deceipt, going on their TV shows (e.g. Olbermann) and ripping into the guy. Simmons does it on his podcast and he gets suspended 3 weeks? Where's the consistency?

Also, somebody on Twitter astutely pointed out that Stephen A. Smith only got suspended for 1 week for saying that Ray Rice's wife may have "provoked" the beating!! That is 1000x worse than what Bill Simmons said. Ridiculous.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Ahhhh...... three weeks of peace and quiet.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Bobster: If you don't like Bill Simmons, that's fine. But nobody forced you to listen to him. And are you saying you approve of his suspension for what he said?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

When you basically challenge your employer to do something about it people shouldn't be to surprised when they do.

And I find Simmons to sophomoric and self-indulgent so I tend to avoid him at every turn. Unfortunately that was pretty hard to do during the basketball season.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

So... What's he "going public" about, and when? And does his threat constitute criminal blackmail?

carey

Post by carey »

Cap wrote:So... What's he "going public" about, and when? And does his threat constitute criminal blackmail?
I'd really, really love to know what secrets or inside info he has. He should just do an hour podcast, not under the Grantland banner, and spill it all. I bet it would be amazing.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Doesn't he own Grantland?

SDC

Post by SDC »

"It was like watching the guy who ran Enron...he's like Nixon, he's in total denial.
that's over the top. if he and his media buddies used that same rhetoric on lois lerner and their IRS buddies though, more appropriate.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Cap wrote:So... What's he "going public" about, and when? And does his threat constitute criminal blackmail?
blackmail, extortion seems like the "in" thing in the nba these days. #racistemails #illegalwiretaps

SDC

Post by SDC »

#FreeBillSimmons: ESPN suspension explodes on Twitter
https://news.yahoo.com/free-bill-simmon ... 04683.html

yup, i say commute the suspension by 1 week. #FREEbillsimmons

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:Doesn't he own Grantland?
It's his baby & he's editor in chief but ESPN funded the entire thing. 30 for 30 was also his thing funded by ESPN.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:Doesn't he own Grantland?
It's his baby & he's editor in chief but ESPN funded the entire thing. 30 for 30 was also his thing funded by ESPN.
Got it. Thanks again

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The sad thing is, if he ever quit and started his own site, he probably would see a gigantic drop in traffic. See Chris Sheridan's site for an example of voluntary irrelevancy.

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:The sad thing is, if he ever quit and started his own site, he probably would see a gigantic drop in traffic. See Chris Sheridan's site for an example of voluntary irrelevancy.
Oh, I doubt that seriously. Most people don't even know Grantland is an ESPN property. He launched that thing on his own. He has a fairly massive following. He's no Chris Sheridan.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Mori Chu wrote:The sad thing is, if he ever quit and started his own site, he probably would see a gigantic drop in traffic. See Chris Sheridan's site for an example of voluntary irrelevancy.
I know Simmons is a pretty controverse guy but I really hope you are wrong.

Sure he is a bit full of himself from time to time but there are not many people out there like him and I usually enjoy what he is saying/writing. Even though his Rondo trade ideas are mostly complete BS ... Image

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

There are double standards and conflicts of interests throughout all of this. The owners lined up against Sterling because they were afraid of the backlash and loss of revenue from sponsors. Players also lined up against ownership until something was done. If sponsors start pulling ads and money from teams asking for Goodell's resignation, you better believe the owners would start speaking up. Instead, they're all laying low with Goodell hoping it blows over because he's making them a ton of money.

SDC

Post by SDC »

out of sight, out of mind.

SDC

Post by SDC »

carey wrote:
Oh, I doubt that seriously. Most people don't even know Grantland is an ESPN property. He launched that thing on his own. He has a fairly massive following. He's no Chris Sheridan.
how about ric bucher? now writing for bleacher report (snicker...)