The Ed O'Bannon decision will ruin college sports, right?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
SDC

The Ed O'Bannon decision will ruin college sports, right?

Post by SDC »

yes or no? i wonder why grantland is relatively silent on this (compared to the NFL domestic violence abuse case). isnt the obannon decision by the liberal judge more consequential?

the next logical step

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... oadcasters

Indy

Re: The Ed O'Bannon decision will ruin college sports, right

Post by Indy »

Why are you comparing this to people who beat their wives?

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

The NCAA beats student athletes?

I personally think it's ridiculous that a university can sell a jersey with a kid's name on it and the kid sees no benefit from it. He's getting a scholarship for playing, any merchandising should also go to benefit the kid being merchandised. I think if you opened this up and maybe paid student athletes a small stipend you'd see less problems with boosters and fake 'summer jobs', etc.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Indy wrote:Why are you comparing this to people who beat their wives?
it's not an epidemic. besides, the issue has died down (interestingly enough, after espn put a gag order on the sports guy.)

SDC

Post by SDC »

Dan H wrote:The NCAA beats student athletes?

I personally think it's ridiculous that a university can sell a jersey with a kid's name on it and the kid sees no benefit from it. He's getting a scholarship for playing, any merchandising should also go to benefit the kid being merchandised. I think if you opened this up and maybe paid student athletes a small stipend you'd see less problems with boosters and fake 'summer jobs', etc.
the university can sell jerseys without the players name on it. it's not that difficult to fix.

as for stipends, arent they already doing it with free college education, meals, boarding rooms etc?

re the "summer jobs", these players should be allowed to play in the d-league.

nobody's forcing these players to go to college. if they want to get paid, go to the d-league or go to china's pro league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SDC wrote:
it's not an epidemic. besides, the issue has died down (interestingly enough, after espn put a gag order on the sports guy.)
You clearly are not paying attention. And you continue to conflate unrelated issues.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Indy wrote:
SDC wrote:
You clearly are not paying attention. And you continue to conflate unrelated issues.
either you have poor comprehension skills, or you are trolling. (or you might be dense, also a possibility).