Wal Mart to pioneer $40 doctor visits?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Dan H

Wal Mart to pioneer $40 doctor visits?

Post by Dan H »

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=229542

Very intriguing idea. One of the biggest problems in our medical system is a lack of transparency in regard to pricing.

My wife had a surgery a couple years ago. We get a bill about a year after the surgery from the 'assisting' physician. Same price as the guy who actually performed the surgery. I argued with the billing department about it, because to my reasoning, in most any other line of work if you're training someone, or you need to call in additional help, that's a sunk cost on you. I literally told the lady, "Hey, I work in IT. If your server crashes and I have a contract to fix it, if I have to bring someone else in to consult, that's my problem, not yours."

But there's essentially no option. If we'd been asked if we would pay for a physician to assist we would have declined. But for whatever reason the medical industry is the only one where you don't see the price till after the fact.

Mori Chu

Re: Wal Mart to pioneer $40 doctor visits?

Post by Mori Chu »

They rely on the fact that you'll just hand the bill to the insurance company. It is a crooked industry, ripe for disruption.