What movies are you guys watching?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Indy

Re: What movies are you guys watching?

Post by Indy »

I thought it was a "meh" movie. I honestly don't remember
Spoiler: show/hide
too much, more than I thought it was kind of cool, but not near as cool as I was hoping back then.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Pay off your mortgage with a bet on Casey Affleck to win best actor.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Re: RE: Re: What movies are you guys watching?

Post by carey »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Pay off your mortgage with a bet on Casey Affleck to win best actor.
I didn't like the movie. His character had no arc. I honestly thought Michelle Williams in her brief appearances wiped the floor with him. Combine that with the rape allegations and there is no way I'd place a bet on Affleck.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:Pay off your mortgage with a bet on Casey Affleck to win best actor.
I didn't like the movie. His character had no arc. I honestly thought Michelle Williams in her brief appearances wiped the floor with him. Combine that with the rape allegations and there is no way I'd place a bet on Affleck.
what allegations?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Oh, and I totally disagree about him having no arc. Michelle Williams did do an awesome job, though.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think it was rape, but sexual harassment towards a female staffer on set or something. Like him and his boys "joking around", maybe flashing their wee-wees at her. Think it was a few years ago but not really talked about. It's been brought up because Nate Parker's rape allegations/scandal were talked about when he was up for awards for Birth of a Nation last year.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:I don't think it was rape, but sexual harassment towards a female staffer on set or something. Like him and his boys "joking around", maybe flashing their wee-wees at her. Think it was a few years ago but not really talked about. It's been brought up because Nate Parker's rape allegations/scandal were talked about when he was up for awards for Birth of a Nation last year.
You're right. It's sexual harassment, and the allegations were by 2 staffers. He settled apparently but some of the stuff is pretty messed up. Birth of a Nation was this year, I think. He was acquitted and the alleged victim killed herself. People are saying his career is over. I wonder if it would be the same if he were Ben Affleck's brother and friends with Matt Damon?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ah, I just read about that. I won't be pulling for him or Joaquin Phoenix for anything.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Taraji P. Henson (I had to look that up) got screwed out of a best actress nomination.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Taraji P. Henson (I had to look that up) got screwed out of a best actress nomination.
And Amy Adams. Arrival and Hidden Figures are the 2 best movies of 2016 imho.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Arrival finally made it's way to theaters here in Korea, so I'll probably check it out today.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Arrival finally made it's way to theaters here in Korea, so I'll probably check it out today.
How was it? I'm thinking of checking it out.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:Arrival finally made it's way to theaters here in Korea, so I'll probably check it out today.
It's fantastic. For sure check it out.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am totally bummed to find out the Alamo Drafthouse near us is closing. Effing sucks.

By the way, I saw Elle last night. I didn't read a single review or even a synopsis going in, and still don't know how I would describe it to someone else. And I still really liked it. Well, "like" might not be the right word for it, but I would certainly give it 4.5/5 stars.

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:I am totally bummed to find out the Alamo Drafthouse near us is closing. Effing sucks.

By the way, I saw Elle last night. I didn't read a single review or even a synopsis going in, and still don't know how I would describe it to someone else. And I still really liked it. Well, "like" might not be the right word for it, but I would certainly give it 4.5/5 stars.
Which location is that? I'm surprised. They have been opening new ones in other cities recently so i assumed they were expanding.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:I am totally bummed to find out the Alamo Drafthouse near us is closing. Effing sucks.

Which location is that? I'm surprised. They have been opening new ones in other cities recently so i assumed they were expanding.
It is a franchise, so it depends on the local franchise owner. It is picking up steam, but I guess it wasn't enough to keep it going here in Michigan. I guess it is not as profitable as they expected. It has only been open 3 years.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AmareIsGod wrote:
I finally got around to it tonight, Monday night.

I think the writing is brilliant and it's definitely a movie I recommend, but I didn't leave the theater blown away. Maybe I just heard (read) too much about it before going. Overall, a very solid 4/5 from me.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
I finally got around to it tonight, Monday night.

I think the writing is brilliant and it's definitely a movie I recommend, but I didn't leave the theater blown away. Maybe I just heard (read) too much about it before going. Overall, a very solid 4/5 from me.
I didn't know much of anything going in and that definitely helped the experience. I think that's true most of the time.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I just watched La La Land. A good movie, but it's gonna win more awards than it deserves because the Academy loves a good fellating.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Just got back from an early screening of John Wick 2 and it was pretty fucking awesome. If you liked the first one, you will love this one.