What movies are you guys watching?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

What movies are you guys watching?

Post by Superbone »

Along the lines of Mori's TV thread comes this one. Anybody around here watch any non-comic book movies? ;) Here's a place to talk about great movies you've recently seen or upcoming movies you really want to see.

Gone Baby Gone was mentioned in the Suns area as a great Casey Affleck vehicle so I watched it and really liked it. I had never heard of it previously. Kind of ironic that his brother recently starred in Gone Girl.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Re: What movies are you guys watching?

Post by Superbone »

I really want to see Whiplash which is only in limited theaters in my area. Swing you might dig this as it's about a jazz drummer.

[youtube][/youtube]

There's a lot of Oscar buzz for JK Simmons for his role in this movie. He's a guy you might not know by name but you'll recognize when you see him. The movie has been described as Full Metal Juilliard by some.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Tusk was... I don't know the right words, but I feel like you have to see it.

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:I really want to see Whiplash which is only in limited theaters in my area. Swing you might dig this as it's about a jazz drummer.

[youtube][/youtube]

There's a lot of Oscar buzz for JK Simmons for his role in this movie. He's a guy you might not know by name but you'll recognize when you see him. The movie has been described as Full Metal Juilliard by some.
Who doesn't know who JK Simmons is? Oz, Raimi's Spider-Man, Juno, chief on The Closer...

If anything you might not know Miles Teller.... watch the Spectacular Now which is a great coming of age love story & of course he's in the FF4 reboot.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Superbone wrote:I really want to see Whiplash which is only in limited theaters in my area. Swing you might dig this as it's about a jazz drummer.

[youtube][/youtube]

I just saw Whiplash and I think it's my favorite movie of the year so far. If Drumline were a psychological thriller, it'd be Whiplash. The final 10 minutes of the movie are unbelievable.

JK Simmons gives a career-defining performance, and Miles Teller holds his own. I want to see it again.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Watched Godzilla and Blended last week.

Need to watch Snowpiercer, just haven't had the time at work this week.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Xylus wrote:I just saw Whiplash and I think it's my favorite movie of the year so far. If Drumline were a psychological thriller, it'd be Whiplash. The final 10 minutes of the movie are unbelievable.

JK Simmons gives a career-defining performance, and Miles Teller holds his own. I want to see it again.
Awesome! Can't wait to see it!
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

If you're in to action movies and don't mind subtitles, The Raid 2 is awesome. I'd recommend watching the Raid:Redemption first.

I'm looking forward to Interstellar. Nolan's got a lifetime pass with me.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Raid:Redemption is a bit of a seperate story and thankfully isn't a necessity to see Raid 2, though both are amazing movies. Raid Redemption was made on a very limited budget and Raid 2 was the original movie they intended to make. Thankfully they had the budget they needed. Both are some of the greatest action movies of our time. Graphic, gory, fantastic martial arts, cinematography, choreography and action scenes. I agree with you fully. Must see for anyone that likes action and/or martial arts.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Xylus wrote:I just saw Whiplash and I think it's my favorite movie of the year so far. If Drumline were a psychological thriller, it'd be Whiplash. The final 10 minutes of the movie are unbelievable.

Awesome! Can't wait to see it!
I think this movie finally goes into wide release this weekend. It is playing near me and I'll finally get to see it.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Just saw Interstellar. Enjoyed it a lot. Got more to say, maybe tomorrow. Go see it.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I watched Fury on Tuesday, I thought it was pretty good movie. I am even more exited for Suicide Squad.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Mori Chu wrote:Just saw Interstellar. Enjoyed it a lot. Got more to say, maybe tomorrow. Go see it.

It's top on my "must-see" list. I've heard it has elements of "2001," "Inception," "Contact" and "Solaris" in it.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:Just saw Interstellar. Enjoyed it a lot. Got more to say, maybe tomorrow. Go see it.

It's top on my "must-see" list. I've heard it has elements of "2001," "Inception," "Contact" and "Solaris" in it.
I'm seeing both it and Whiplash this weekend.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Maybe I'll wait until the weekend to write some thoughts about it, then, since several of you haven't seen it. It has flaws, it is not 100% plausible, but it is entertaining and I enjoyed it a lot.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Saw Big Hero 6 with the kiddos last night. Fun movie, played around with the movie archetypes a bit. Stinger after the credits was hysterical as well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Well, saw both Whiplash and Interstellar and both were excellent! Totally different types of movies but both great in their own right. Looking forward to reading your impressions of Interstellar, Mori.
"Be Legendary."

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Awwwww, yeah.

[youtube][/youtube]

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Star-Lord, is that you?
"Be Legendary."

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

When the hell does Foxcatcher come out? Seems like the trailer has been out for months...