WNBA Star Griner Cut but OK after Knife Attack in China

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
SDC

WNBA Star Griner Cut but OK after Knife Attack in China

Post by SDC »

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Spor ... k-in-China

WNBA star Brittney Griner felt fortunate to be OK after getting cut on the elbow in a knife attack in China.

Griner sustained a small cut when she was attacked by a man while boarding a bus after practice Monday in Shenyang. The man, who followed the players onto the bus, also stabbed one of Griner's teammates. She was wearing two jackets and wasn't injured because the knife didn't go through.

"I was thinking I was going to end up stabbed in China and if he got to us at the back of the bus, I was going to have to fight this man with a knife," Griner said in an email to The Associated Press.

The man was yelling as he chased the players onto the bus. She said he left the scene, and then returned covered in blood and was apprehended by Chinese authorities.

"The guy was clearly either mentally ill or very drunk," Griner said. "He was yelling about us hitting his wife and it was pretty clear he had no idea who we were."

pickle

Re: WNBA Star Griner Cut but OK after Knife Attack in China

Post by pickle »

my take away from that story was, i had no idea wnba players are able to play two professional contracts... at first i thought griner was in china on a promotional tour. then i realized she was actually playing for a chinese professional team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sadly, being a championship-winning WNBA professional player is not actually a job that earns the player enough money to make a living. Though the same could be said about the NBA in its old days.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Exactly. Making 12x her WNBA salary for playing in China is crazy. I had no idea how poorly the WNBA paid. Rookies make about half of what an entry-level engineer with a BSE degree. Hell, max players make about what I pay my managers.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Supply and demand.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I just didn't think the demand for women's basketball was 10x higher in China (even with enormous population difference).

SDC

Post by SDC »

income inequality. gender pay gap. make the WNBA salaries equal to the NBAs!