Louis CK Molester Joke

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Louis CK Molester Joke

Post by Superbone »

What did you guys think about Louis CK's molester joke on SNL this weekend?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/1 ... 00632.html

Too far? It definitely made me uncomfortable. I get that molesters must really like what they do considering the repercussions but is that funny? I understand that he likes to push the edge but I personally think he went over it with that one.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Re: Louis CK Molester Joke

Post by Indy »

It's a joke; take it, or leave it. Are you saying it is offensive to people who were molested? I personally don't see that take. But I don't have a great perspective on that (fortunately). Even if it were, comedy is offensive to someone, at some point. I think it is a little over the top, but not in a hateful way like many comedians seem to go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:Are you saying it is offensive to people who were molested?
I didn't say that. I wouldn't know. Just seems like there are some subjects you don't joke about and this is one. What's the purpose of doing this joke? Is it really funny how much molesters like molesting children? I don't think so. Does the joke challenge one's beliefs? I don't think so. Was its only purpose to shock? I have more questions than answers.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

He's the most famous comedian in the world right now. So his jokes are going to get picked apart more. If this was said at a Tuesday night open mic it wouldn't be very shocking.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:He's the most famous comedian in the world right now. So his jokes are going to get picked apart more. If this was said at a Tuesday night open mic it wouldn't be very shocking.
Right but it was said in the opening monologue on national TV on the season finale of SNL. Of course Louis knew it was controversial as well since he said during the joke that "this may be my last time on TV".
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I guess my point is that, why should he treat it any differently than one of his live shows? This is one of the reasons that stand up should be consumed as a communal event with a (relatively) small group. The whole "you throw like a girl" is much more offensive and damaging to our world than pointing out how people who are driven to molest must *really* be driven to it.