What TV shows are you guys watching?

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Re: What TV shows are you guys watching?

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:Been watching the Strain since the beginning. I like it, but they seemed to take all the popular sci fi/horror shows of the past and try to roll it into one show. A little fabricated, but entertaining none the less.

Haven't seen the Shield.

I am sick of cop/detective shows. There have been so many in my lifetime that they all bore me to tears now. For some reason my wife and I like Blue Bloods. It seems like it was written for Republicans because the story revolves around the Reagan family who is a Conservative family in NYC. The elder grandfather is the ex Police Commisioner of NYC. His Son is played by Tom Selleck and is the acting Police Commisioner of NYC. His daughter is the deputy District Attourney of NYC. His son is a Police detective played by Donnie Whalburgh. His other son is a regular beat cop. Foe some reason we both like this show. Donnie Whalburgh has really impressed me as an actor. He was made for this role. The family is tight and they all get together every Sunday for dinner around a big table. I used to watch the Andy Griffith Show as a kid and in a way it reminds me of that because they are always doing the right thing. In other shows its about who is getting money under the table and who is screwing who over, but in this show the family is always doing what is right even if it means they get hurt in the process. They say grace at dinner and talk about god a lot. like I said, it seems like it was made for Republicans, but I still like it anyway. :D
My wife and I have watched all the episodes that Netflix have available and have really enjoyed it. As far as them being Republican, maybe only if you define family values and God fearing as strictly a Republican trait in shows. I'm not entirely sure that you can box Republicans or Democrats into any particular stereotype definition.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Good point. NYC is pretty Liberal anyway.

One thing I did notice. They are always drinking hard liquor in that family. Not that that is a bad thing. I just noticed every scene where they are not working they are drinking some hard liquor.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Lol, yeah I noticed the same thing. The one thing that my wife and I make fun of is that Danny is the superstar detective in NYC. All the big cases go through him exclusively. Makes me wonder how good any of the other detectives in the city are.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Nodack wrote:Good point. NYC is pretty Liberal anyway.

One thing I did notice. They are always drinking hard liquor in that family. Not that that is a bad thing. I just noticed every scene where they are not working they are drinking some hard liquor.
You've never hung out with Lutherans, have you? :lol:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Dan H wrote:

Believe it or not I was Baptized Lutheran as a baby and my relatives up North are all Lutheran or LDS. Come to think of it there is a history of heavy drinking in my family in ND, so the Lutherans must be drinkers.

Tom Select as Police Commish seems to meet with the leaders of the Catholic Church a lot, so I assumed he was Catholic on the show.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Catholics know how to party as well, so makes sense. My sister had a Catholic wedding and they had a beer truck with a dozen keg taps on it at the reception, LOL.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Dan H wrote:

Believe it or not I was Baptized Lutheran as a baby and my relatives up North are all Lutheran or LDS. Come to think of it there is a history of heavy drinking in my family in ND, so the Lutherans must be drinkers.

Tom Select as Police Commish seems to meet with the leaders of the Catholic Church a lot, so I assumed he was Catholic on the show.
I'm from ND and most of my family lives there. Heavy drinking isn't just a Lutheran thing there. Nearly everyone drinks in ND, since there isn't much else to do for entertainment. HS sports, hunting, drinking, church functions...

Come to think of it, you would think there would be a huge problem with violent crime if you equate everyone having firearms and heavy drinking in ND, but it may have the lowest per capita rate of violent crime in the country.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Dan H wrote:

I'm from ND and most of my family lives there. Heavy drinking isn't just a Lutheran thing there. Nearly everyone drinks in ND, since there isn't much else to do for entertainment. HS sports, hunting, drinking, church functions...

Come to think of it, you would think there would be a huge problem with violent crime if you equate everyone having firearms and heavy drinking in ND, but it may have the lowest per capita rate of violent crime in the country.
It is in the top half of states for deaths by firearm per 100,000 people.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Hmm, I found it was 4th lowest in the US in 2010 with 0.6 per 100,000 for gun murders. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_viole ... s_by_state

Indy

Post by Indy »

http://www.phx-suns.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=778#p44154

That is quite different than the recent article I linked to in another thread. It was from 2013 and got the data from here:
http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/fi ... er-100000/

It says ND is at 11.8. I wonder if the difference is from how often you kill others versus killing yourself...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ah, here you go:

"Causes of death attributable to firearm mortality include ICD-10 Codes W32-W34, Accidental discharge of firearm; Codes X72-X74, Intentional self-harm by firearm; X93-X95, Assault by firearm; Y22-Y24, Firearm discharge, undetermined intent; and Y35, Legal intervention involving firearm discharge. Deaths from injury by firearms exclude deaths due to explosives and other causes indirectly related to firearms."

I assume the data from the wiki page is only murders (meaning you didn't accidentally kill yourself, which probably plays a lot into the heaving drinking... and hunting at the same time).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Although it's certainly possible many of the deaths occurred from hunting, from my experience it's doubtful. I would guess it's closer to suicide.

This discussion has deviated from the TV show subject, sorry about that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:Although it's certainly possible many of the deaths occurred from hunting, from my experience it's doubtful. I would guess it's closer to suicide.

Maybe, but accidental shootings during hunting is higher than it should be.

And yes, we are certainly off topic!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:Although it's certainly possible many of the deaths occurred from hunting, from my experience it's doubtful. I would guess it's closer to suicide.

Is Cheney doing a lot of hunting still?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:

Is Cheney doing a lot of hunting still?
Only his friends still.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Back to Hunters Safety class for them, or take away their licenses.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Lol.

Hunters safety class for people hunting with Cheney consists of wearing body armor and always staying behind Cheney.

There has been a serious population boom in ND with the oil boom. Perhaps that is a contributing factor in deaths by guns there.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Mr. Robot finale that was to air tonight was postponed until next week due to "a graphic scene similar in nature to today's tragic events in Virginia".
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oh wow. Is that why it wasn't on? I couldn't find it to watch anywhere. Sad stuff.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:Oh wow. Is that why it wasn't on? I couldn't find it to watch anywhere. Sad stuff.
Yeah, they showed a repeat of last week's episode with that disclaimer at the top.
"Be Legendary."