Arizona Cardinals

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Re: Arizona Cardinals

Post by In2ition »

I'm not opposed to Lamar Jackson. In fact I'm intrigued by the prospect, but it would probably be a trade back into the 1st to get jim, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:Manziel wasn't close to Jackson as an athlete. And having his family represent him and scoring low on the wonderlic doesn't tell me he can't be a leader. He can be a good athlete and an intelligent leader.

I’m just going to agree to disagree on this one and let it be. You can rub it in my face in 10 years when he’s been a pro bowler, but I just have no faith in him as a QB. I wouldn’t take him in the 2nd round either.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don't follow the NFL draft nearly as much as the NBA, so I have a very limited perspective on prospects. I'm not saying Jackson will be a probowler, because I really don't know. I'm just very intrigued by his physical skills. In football I've watched and played, having a QB that can beat the opposing team in multiple ways is debilitating. Those 3rd and 7's are tough because the defense has to be ready for the QB to just get the first down with his legs.

Your point is valid and all this is moot if Jackson doesn't know how to read defenses and sit in the pocket and find receivers. I guess we'll see what happens, although I've seen zero indication that Jackson is under any consideration in AZ.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Josh Rosen is the pick for us. Thoughts?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Wow. What a steal!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

When I saw the Raiders had the 10th pick and Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson were still available, I figured it was time for the Cards to crap or get off the pot. Raiders did not need a QB and probably would be willing to deal, being in a different conference.

Depending upon who you talk to, Rosen is the most NFL ready OR the most self-absorbed prima donna in the draft.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:Josh Rosen is the pick for us. Thoughts?
Positive:
At least they finally drafted a quarterback instead of slapping together a roster full of washed up bums at the position.

Negative:
I watch a lot of Pac-12 football and I can never recall thinking, "I'm worried about UCLA. Josh Rosen scares me."

He always seemed pretty aloof to me when it came to college football. That could either be because he's pretty bright and understood the big picture of the NCAA and "amateurism", or he could possibly not really care about football that much. The latter would mean the Cards just made a massive mistake.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I absolutely love the deal. Love love love. To make a "massive mistake" would mean to have taken a huge risk. They moved up 5 spots, only gave up a 3rd and 5th rounder, and if he blows then so be it. Low risk, high rewards to me.

Solid move. Lets get us a WR now. Would have loved Martavis Bryant, too bad.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:They moved up 5 spots, only gave up a 3rd and 5th rounder, and if he blows then so be it. Low risk, high rewards to me.
I disagree. I think that's a pretty expensive price to move up 5 spots.

It's a mistake if he doesn't become a reliable starter by his third year.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Buffalo gave up 2 2nd round picks to move up 5 spots about ten minutes before us. To only give up a 3rd and a 5th is huge. And we drafted a guy who could have gone top 3. There was not a clear cut top QB, but there was a top tier and we got one of the 4 QBs in the tier and paid the lowest price to do it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:I absolutely love the deal. Love love love. To make a "massive mistake" would mean to have taken a huge risk. They moved up 5 spots, only gave up a 3rd and 5th rounder, and if he blows then so be it. Low risk, high rewards to me.

I love the way that Rosen sees the game and throws the ball. I think this was a great deal, and a tremendous value of moving up.

Christian Kirk available now?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Maybe Kirk, maybe some lineman to protect Rosen, or maybe a CB?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
specialsauce wrote:They moved up 5 spots, only gave up a 3rd and 5th rounder, and if he blows then so be it. Low risk, high rewards to me.

According to most experts, it wasn't an expensive price.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1512166/ ... osh-rosen/
Bill Barnwell – ESPN.com
Cardinals’ GM Steve Keim missed out on Patrick Mahomes when the Chiefs traded up last year, so it’s no surprise that he made a move of his own this year. He also got himself a great deal in the process, given that he actually turned a profit on the Johnson chart and paid less than either the Bills or Ravens did on the dollar by the Stuart model. It’s surprising that the Raiders weren’t able to scare the Cardinals into giving up the 46th pick with the threat of the Dolphins lurking at 11. Alternately, 15 and the Cardinals’ two third-round picks at 79 and 97 would have been a reasonable ask, given that it would have cost $1.04 on the dollar by the Johnson model.
Peter King – The MMQB on SI.com
Kudos to GM Steve Keim for knowing he had to get a young, developmental quarterback, and getting the fourth passer picked, UCLA’s Josh Rosen, by trading up from 15 to 10 with Oakland. Amazingly, Keim didn’t have to give next year’s first-rounder or this year’s second to get the deal done. “There’s always pressure to find the young quarterback,” Keim told me near midnight Thursday, “but if you trade away so many picks that you can’t solve your other problems, it’s really too much of a sacrifice to do.”
Chad Reuter – NFL.com
Gave Cardinals an ‘A’ grade for their Day 1 action – Rosen is the best pure pocket passer in the draft. The Cardinals need to protect him, but if they do, he’ll be a Pro Bowler. Giving up third- and fifth-round picks was more than reasonable for a player of his caliber.
Will Brinson – CBSSports.com
Not sure what trade chart Steve Keim showed to Jon Gruden when he called him up about a deal for swapping No. 15 for No. 10, but the Cards GM got a good deal on moving up to grab the last remaining quarterback of the “Big Four” when he landed Josh Rosen out of UCLA. Now technically, the Raiders didn’t get ripped off: the No. 10 pick is worth 1,300 points on the old trade value chart and Gruden and Oakland got 1,275 points in return. However, this was a situation where there was just one of the top quarterbacks on the board and they didn’t crank up the cost. The Cardinals were in a bit of desperation to land a young signal caller after missing out on Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson last year, and Rosen could be a stud. He’s considered the most “pro ready” of all the quarterbacks in this draft class, he has just has the downside of being a millennial and having battled concussions. Rosen has at least one pretty impressive quarterback in his corner.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Christian Kirk is the pick

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Yes!!!! I love it!!!

Makes up for FA in a big way so far.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:I absolutely love the deal. Love love love. To make a "massive mistake" would mean to have taken a huge risk. They moved up 5 spots, only gave up a 3rd and 5th rounder, and if he blows then so be it. Low risk, high rewards to me.

I love the way that Rosen sees the game and throws the ball. I think this was a great deal, and a tremendous value of moving up.

Called it

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Called it
Hometown boy, love the pick. Very good draft so far. Don’t know much about the lineman they drafted

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

According to most experts, it wasn't an expensive price.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1512166/ ... osh-rosen/
Bill Barnwell – ESPN.com
Cardinals’ GM Steve Keim missed out on Patrick Mahomes when the Chiefs traded up last year, so it’s no surprise that he made a move of his own this year. He also got himself a great deal in the process, given that he actually turned a profit on the Johnson chart and paid less than either the Bills or Ravens did on the dollar by the Stuart model. It’s surprising that the Raiders weren’t able to scare the Cardinals into giving up the 46th pick with the threat of the Dolphins lurking at 11. Alternately, 15 and the Cardinals’ two third-round picks at 79 and 97 would have been a reasonable ask, given that it would have cost $1.04 on the dollar by the Johnson model.
Peter King – The MMQB on SI.com
Kudos to GM Steve Keim for knowing he had to get a young, developmental quarterback, and getting the fourth passer picked, UCLA’s Josh Rosen, by trading up from 15 to 10 with Oakland. Amazingly, Keim didn’t have to give next year’s first-rounder or this year’s second to get the deal done. “There’s always pressure to find the young quarterback,” Keim told me near midnight Thursday, “but if you trade away so many picks that you can’t solve your other problems, it’s really too much of a sacrifice to do.”
Chad Reuter – NFL.com
Gave Cardinals an ‘A’ grade for their Day 1 action – Rosen is the best pure pocket passer in the draft. The Cardinals need to protect him, but if they do, he’ll be a Pro Bowler. Giving up third- and fifth-round picks was more than reasonable for a player of his caliber.
Will Brinson – CBSSports.com
Not sure what trade chart Steve Keim showed to Jon Gruden when he called him up about a deal for swapping No. 15 for No. 10, but the Cards GM got a good deal on moving up to grab the last remaining quarterback of the “Big Four” when he landed Josh Rosen out of UCLA. Now technically, the Raiders didn’t get ripped off: the No. 10 pick is worth 1,300 points on the old trade value chart and Gruden and Oakland got 1,275 points in return. However, this was a situation where there was just one of the top quarterbacks on the board and they didn’t crank up the cost. The Cardinals were in a bit of desperation to land a young signal caller after missing out on Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson last year, and Rosen could be a stud. He’s considered the most “pro ready” of all the quarterbacks in this draft class, he has just has the downside of being a millennial and having battled concussions. Rosen has at least one pretty impressive quarterback in his corner.

Lol

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Fair enough on the trade, I guess. I think it's almost always better to have more picks, but at least they went for a quarterback. I hope it works out.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Fair enough on the trade, I guess. I think it's almost always better to have more picks, but at least they went for a quarterback. I hope it works out.
It really comes down to Josh Rosen. Qb's are so hit and miss, if he turns into a good qb, it was a fantastic trade. If he busts, it was a bad trade. Seems obvious but it really is that simple. For what we gave up, I think the risk was worth it.