Terror Attacks in Paris

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Wally_West

Terror Attacks in Paris

Post by Wally_West »

This absolutely horrible. I'm speechless.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... /75727746/

LazarusLong

Re: Terror Attacks in Paris

Post by LazarusLong »

Terror in a large-scale sporting venue -- the soccer match -- is especially unnerving.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

No words. Been scanning reddit for info, eyewitness accoutns, etc. Just awful. Hope there aren't more attacks to come.
Forcing me to conform to your beliefs is an exercise in futility.
You deal with you, because you can't stop me from being me.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm so saddened by this. It's basically Paris' own 9/11 (if you don't consider the Charlie Hedbo hostage situation that already.) I would not be shocked to see another terrorist attack in America within the year. ISIS is getting more & more bold. They've attacked Paris a number of times now and also Russia recently.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I am not sure if this is ISIS, many people on the news seem to think that this type of an attack is more consistent with Al Qaeda than ISIS. I don't think anyone has claimed the attack yet though.

SDC

Post by SDC »

carey wrote:I'm so saddened by this. It's basically Paris' own 9/11 (if you don't consider the Charlie Hedbo hostage situation that already.) I would not be shocked to see another terrorist attack in America within the year. ISIS is getting more & more bold. They've attacked Paris a number of times now and also Russia recently.
i know the crowded train attack where 3 servicemen saved the day doesnt count, but...

carey

Post by carey »

Wally_West wrote:I am not sure if this is ISIS, many people on the news seem to think that this type of an attack is more consistent with Al Qaeda than ISIS. I don't think anyone has claimed the attack yet though.
http://news.yahoo.com/paris-attacks-tol ... 25817.html

:(
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

carey wrote:
Wally_West wrote:I am not sure if this is ISIS, many people on the news seem to think that this type of an attack is more consistent with Al Qaeda than ISIS. I don't think anyone has claimed the attack yet though.
http://news.yahoo.com/paris-attacks-tol ... 25817.html

:(
Just heart breaking stuff, man.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

All the anti-Islam stuff is horrifying. Fox News calls it "radical Islam" to cover their asses, but there is a clear undertone of, "These people are bad and their religion is evil." Ugh.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I realize this is late, but the reason this is more IS than Al Qaeda is that the former is much more indiscriminate in their attacks. Sounds ridiculous after we watched 9/11 happen, but Al Qaeda now focuses on attacking places where Muslims aren't (or shouldn't be).

The anti-Muslim sentiment in France is already really high; I can't imagine how this will turn out...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:All the anti-Islam stuff is horrifying. Fox News calls it "radical Islam" to cover their asses, but there is a clear undertone of, "These people are bad and their religion is evil." Ugh.
Our leading presidential candidates excluded all members of one of the world's most populous religions from being able to serve as President here, basically saying they wouldn't trust them. It isn't just Fox News--it is half of our country.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Indy wrote:
I realize this is late, but the reason this is more IS than Al Qaeda is that the former is much more indiscriminate in their attacks. Sounds ridiculous after we watched 9/11 happen, but Al Qaeda now focuses on attacking places where Muslims aren't (or shouldn't be).

The anti-Muslim sentiment in France is already really high; I can't imagine how this will turn out.
At the time, when we were still in the dark about who was responsible, I was watching CNN and MSNBC and their were interviewing several counter-terrorism experts and they listing many reasons why this is more Al Qaeda type attack more so than an IS one. They were not really saying it was one or the other but rather just observing it was more consistent with Al Qaeda is all, so that was where I was getting my info from. Plus, a branch of Al Qaeda was responsible for the Charlie Hebdo earlier in the year.
Indy wrote: The anti-Muslim sentiment in France is already really high; I can't imagine how this will turn out...
Yeah, this is one of the more sad aspects of all this. When it should be a time of coming together, it will most likely just make the divide even worse.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:All the anti-Islam stuff is horrifying. Fox News calls it "radical Islam" to cover their asses, but there is a clear undertone of, "These people are bad and their religion is evil." Ugh.
Our leading presidential candidates excluded all members of one of the world's most populous religions from being able to serve as President here, basically saying they wouldn't trust them. It isn't just Fox News--it is half of our country.
Mostly the half that listens to FOX News. FOX gives off the perception of Muslims = Terrorists. Did I mention I hate FOX News today yet?

We all live in our own small worlds building perceptions of other people we have never met and don't understand. In some Muslim land there are Muslms talking about how evil the US and the West are. How we propped up evil dictators in return for flowing oil making their leaders rich and their people poor. They are talking about how the West's wars with Muslm countries was just to steal their oil and persecute Muslims. Every time a smart bomb misses its target they think it was on purpose.

Every escalation is met by an equal escalation. I am not sure that throwing battalions more troops into the fight killing more ISIS/AlQueda/Muslims is going to solve the terrorist problem.

I think it is more of a PR/Propaganda war than a military war, especially nowadays. If all the worlds religious and political leaders including all faiths especially the Muslim Faith came together in a show of solidarity against ISIS, I think that would do more good than an infinite number of bombs. We need to stop ISIS from recruiting new members. That's how you stop them long term.

Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

http://buzzfeed-video1.s3.amazonaws.com ... 00.mp4?_=1

Pretty interesting response to the exploitation of tragedies for political gain, in the video above from France 24, hours after the attack.

Zeratul

Post by Zeratul »

Rockin' and having a good time and all of the sudden...

[youtube][/youtube]

Zeratul

Post by Zeratul »

The police found some of the missing terrorists near Paris. One lady terrorist blew herself up, one got shot and 3 were arrested...

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I was reading a good article about ISIS today. We we talking about what ISIS's goals were before. In short the article pointed out that ISIS wants a holy war. They want to infuriate the West into fighting them and they want the West to blame all Muslims for their activities so, we will start killing Muslims and incite all Muslims to rise up against us.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/18/opinions/ ... structive/