Everything Soccer

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Everything Soccer

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

U.S. youngster Julian Green named to Bayern's first-team squad for summer tour

After impressing in his limited action during the 2014 World Cup, American fans will get a chance to see the 19-year-old up close in a pair of summer friendlies in the U.S.

U.S. national team youngster Julian Green will be named to Bayern Munich's first-team squad for the Bundesliga club's summer tour of the United States.

The 19-year-old will join Bayern's roster for a pair of friendlies against Chivas de Guadalajara in Harrison, New Jersey, on July 31 and the MLS All-Stars in Portland, Oregon, on Aug. 6.

Green became a household name for American soccer fans after scoring a dramatic extra-time goal in a 2-1 loss to Belgium in the World Cup's round of 16. It was his only appearance in Brazil

That made Green the youngest U.S. player ever to score a World Cup goal.
Interesting. I highly doubt he gets a chance to sniff first team action for games that actually matter, but maybe this will help improve his stock for a loan to another quality club that will give him substantial playing time this season.

This is also pretty funny from the perspective of how Bayern looks at the MLS All-Star game. :lol:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ManU knocked out of the Capitol One Cup by MK Dons today. :lol:

Good thing they bought another attacker to shore up that porous back line.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

the danny ferry thing reminded me of malky mackay... NOT. #cardiff

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rdiff.html
here are some of the email messages

'Fkn chinkys. Fk it. There's enough dogs in Cardiff for us all to go around.'
On the arrival of South Korean international Kim Bo-Kyung

'Go on, fat Phil. Nothing like a Jew that sees money slipping through his fingers'
On football agent Phil Smith

'He's a snake, a gay snake. Not to be trusted'
On an official of another club

'Not many white faces amongst that lot but worth considering.'
On a list of potential signings

'I hope she's looking after your needs. I bet you'd love a bounce on her falsies.'
On a player's female agent

A picture entitled Black Monopoly (where every square was a "Go to Jail" square)
Sent to members of Cardiff's staff

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

What's the point of that post SDC?

I'd rather discuss the game than some story from months ago about a racist. Not to mention the guy was fired a year ago.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SDC likes to be provocative.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:What's the point of that post SDC?

I'd rather discuss the game than some story from months ago about a racist. Not to mention the guy was fired a year ago.
the emails were splashed in the front pages of tabloids only last month, on aug. 20.

it only came out after disgraced manager mackay was about to take another managerial job at crystal palace.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rdiff.html

SDC

Post by SDC »

Barcelona support Catalonia's push for independence from Spain

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/b ... :foxsoccer

Barcelona still supports Catalonia's push to vote on secession from the rest of Spain despite warnings that independence would mean the club's exclusion from the Spanish league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Not surprising. Barca's always been a club heavily influenced by independentist political parties. Often it is used like a symbol of catalanism and Cataluña as an alleged nation. It's away kit (or alternate, I'm not sure) for instance, is the Senyera, their flag.

The interesting thing would be if they actually became independent, because they'd be out of the La Liga and supposedly out of the Champions League too (let alone European Union, Schengen, etc).

Zeratul

Post by Zeratul »

Why could'nt they become part of the EU? It would take some time but it would be possible...
Some non-European teams can play the Champion's league (Turkey...) why not Cataluna?

I do wonder what the catalans would vote for in case there is a referendum like in Scotland...

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Technically because every EU member would have to sign their adhesion convention, Spain included.

If you mean philosophically, sure, there is a lot of room for debate.

Personally, if I were them, I'd stay away from UE and become a fiscal paradise. Switzerland is insanely rich and there is more than enough room for a second player at their game.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I had to the dust off this old one, exactly 3 years to the day. :shock:

What a fucking shit show by the USMNT. The program needs to be completely gutted. At least we can stop catering to has-been players because our youth system isn't preparing the younger players. Call them up to the first team under a real manager/coaching staff to prepare them the right way.