Everything Soccer

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Flagrant Fowl

Everything Soccer

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm curious to hear how many of you follow the world's game. I mentioned in the USMNT discussion that I've been learning more and more about the sport over the last couple of years, and I think I've reached the point that I now know more about what's going on in the various leagues around the world than anything in MLB or the NHL.

Some exciting stuff happening at the moment..

Champions League is down to the final four; Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, and Chelsea. Bayern are defending champs, but I really like Athleti as a dark horse.

Barclays Premier League looks to have a fantastic finish to its season. Liverpool on the attack is poetry in motion.

Barcelona is in shambles (relatively speaking) despite having Messi and one of the best young players in the world, Neymar.

The World Cup is right around the corner. It's just too bad we won't get to see Ibrahimovic or Bale on the biggest stage.

Does anyone have a clue of what I'm talking about? ;)
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Re: Everything Soccer

Post by SDC »

probably ring wanted has a clue of what you are talking about, and maybe the mexican members of phxsuns too.

did you see gareth bale's pre-kamehameha stance after scoring the winning goal?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlY5p1eCAAAcgQ7.jpg

I became a fan of liverpool after watching "being liverpool" on foxsoccer last season (not a bandwagoner here).

and it's too bad the USMNT may not get out of the group stage again. (no fault of klinsmann)
I mentioned in the USMNT discussion that I've been learning more and more about the sport over the last couple of years,
i started following the EPL only in 2011.
Last edited by SDC on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

i'm a liverpool and cardiff fan. i find this "mole" spying business interesting.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... ccusation/

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Did you catch Bale's goal in the King's Cup Final against Barcelona? It was absolutely magnificent. The best display of athleticism I've seen probably ever in soccer.

Take a look, it's worth it.

(ahha almost Zarko Cabarkapa)

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Barcelona is in shambles (relatively speaking) despite having Messi and one of the best young players in the world, Neymar.
The look mentally done, and many of their best players are also too long in the tooth. Messi's apathy is particularly mindboggling, and there is speculation that he is saving himself for the world cup, which if true is a shame and would tell a ton about his professionalism or lack thereof, especially compared to Ronaldo.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:Barcelona is in shambles (relatively speaking) despite having Messi and one of the best young players in the world, Neymar.
The look mentally done, and many of their best players are also too long in the tooth. Messi's apathy is particularly mindboggling, and there is speculation that he is saving himself for the world cup, which if true is a shame and would tell a ton about his professionalism or lack thereof, especially compared to Ronaldo.
maybe it's time to move to the EPL? who needs a goal scorer? arsenal and chelsea!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

SDC wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
maybe it's time to move to the EPL? who needs a goal scorer? arsenal and chelsea!
He, would be something watching Messi play for ManU or Arsenal. I don't think he'd be interested in ManC, Chelsea or Liverpool.

But whoever wants to buy him better prepare €200M (and also prepare for the worst move ever).

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

did you see gareth bale's pre-kamehameha stance after scoring the winning goal?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlY5p1eCAAAcgQ7.jpg
Did you catch Bale's goal in the King's Cup Final against Barcelona? It was absolutely magnificent. The best display of athleticism I've seen probably ever in soccer.
That was an epic run and finish. Exactly the reason why I wish he had a chance to play in the World Cup.
I became a fan of liverpool after watching "being liverpool" on foxsoccer last season (not a bandwagoner here).
Coincidentally, that's when I really started paying attention to the BPL. I was vaguely familiar with the European leagues before then, but Being Liverpool really pulled me into the game even more. While I admire Liverpool's style this season, Everton is probably the club I enjoy watching win the most.
I think this is happening for a lot of teams in all the major european leagues. I don't think it's a coincidence that Neymar is going to miss the next four weeks with an injury starting the day after their loss in the Copa del Rey. Same sort of situation for Ronaldo right now. I don't think he wanted to miss the Spanish cup final, but I certainly believe the upcoming WC has something to do with his current availability. Sergio Aguero is another guy that comes to mind. He was on fire early in the season, but has barely played lately because I think he's resting for the WC.

To be honest, I don't really blame players in European leagues for these "injuries" at this point in the season. The World Cup is the biggest stage, so it makes sense that they don't want to be injured or worn down come mid-June.

On the other hand, some of the major English players (Gerrard, Sterling, Barkley, etc..) have been on good form lately. Same with Dempsey and Bradley in MLS. Rest or momentum; which is best? I think it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the end.
But whoever wants to buy him better prepare €200M (and also prepare for the worst move ever).
I can't imagine Messi would play anywhere but Barca while he's still in his prime.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:i'm a liverpool and cardiff fan. i find this "mole" spying business interesting.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... ccusation/
A couple of things about this..

1. Vincent Tan is insane, which also makes him my favorite owner in the BPL. He kind of reminds me of Sarver when he first bought the Suns. Sarver seems to have learned some lessons, but I'm not sure if Tan will ever get out of his own way.
2. Liverpool and Cardiff fan, huh? Are you Welsh or something? Fancy a sheep to shag, mate? ;)

SDC

Post by SDC »

Coincidentally, that's when I really started paying attention to the BPL. I was vaguely familiar with the European leagues before then, but Being Liverpool really pulled me into the game even more. While I admire Liverpool's style this season, Everton is probably the club I enjoy watching win the most.
the beginning of my epl fandom coincided with the decline of the suns.

SDC

Post by SDC »

1. Vincent Tan is insane, which also makes him my favorite owner in the BPL. He kind of reminds me of Sarver when he first bought the Suns. Sarver seems to have learned some lessons, but I'm not sure if Tan will ever get out of his own way.
too bad the way mckay's sacking was handled poorly. but cardiff's win over mancity early in the season got me interested in the club. if cardiff gets relegated, tan will be pressured to sell the team. but there's still hope...norwich's remaining sked is Suns like... liverpool, Man United, Chelsea, arsenal :lol:
2. Liverpool and Cardiff fan, huh? Are you Welsh or something? Fancy a sheep to shag, mate?
i'm rooting for the asian (non arab) owners to do well. hope qpr gets promoted too.

SDC

Post by SDC »

speeding ticket for bale

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I think this is happening for a lot of teams in all the major european leagues. I don't think it's a coincidence that Neymar is going to miss the next four weeks with an injury starting the day after their loss in the Copa del Rey. Same sort of situation for Ronaldo right now. I don't think he wanted to miss the Spanish cup final, but I certainly believe the upcoming WC has something to do with his current availability. Sergio Aguero is another guy that comes to mind. He was on fire early in the season, but has barely played lately because I think he's resting for the WC.
I don't think that's the case, at least with Barcelona and Real Madrid, which are the close ones to me. Ronaldo is a psycho, Jordan, Kobe like, and there is no way he misses a final, against Barcelona no less, if he can avoid it. His injury is real, I saw the game when it happened, and the same goes for Neymar.

Messi is the puzzle. He has no known injury, yet he just doesn't run. All he does is walking around. The spanish media and fans were cracking jokes about how he barely covered more distance than Pinto the keeper, against Atletico Madrid in the ECL.

And trust me, it's perfectly possible that Messi moves. Of course, only whenever and wherever he wants to and at an obscene price, but Barcelona right now is a hell for the players. Messi was so booed by some fans yesterday that he told one of them 'go back to work, boludo'.

And it goes beyond the pitch (If you already know all this stuff, skip the rest hehe).

FIFA has suspended Barcelona's trading rights for one year because they broke rules regarding underage players.

The persident Sandro Rosell resigned because the Neymar transfer was declared at €57M (which nobody believed) and turns out the tribunals are finding out that it's at least double that amount, with at least 40M going straight to Neymar's father. There is speculation that this could explain in part Messi's current state.

Of course the coach is done, so that adds to the turmoil, along with many cornerstone players failing to deliver be it due to age or other reasons. That inclues impending departures from leaders Pujol and Valdes.

Their current FO is also quite poor, 'building' a roster with redundant moves while not addressing glaring holes that they won't be able to patch next year unless the FIFA bails them out.

Really, Barca is currently the New York Knicks of the soccer world, a place usually held by Real Madrid, and in that environment, I wouldn't be surprised the least if Messi took one crazy offer from one of the Arabs, for instance.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'll defer to you on all things Liga BBVA because you clearly know more about what's going on there than I do. 8-)

The Messi situation is bizarre. Guardiola left the club and they brought in Martino, who basically seems to be just a Messi yes-man. Martino is definitely gone after the season ends, but who are they going to get to replace him? I suppose it is possible Messi moves to a new club since everything is in chaos right now, but there are major hurdles in the way.

One issue is his price tag. Off the top of my head, only PSG and Manchester City have the bankroll to buy him outright without needing to sell another major piece currently at their club. But what about FIFA financial fair play? I admit that I don't know much about the transfer rules, but I can't imagine it's financial fair play for the most expensive player to go to the club already paying the most in wages (MC).

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Anyone catch the Chelsea vs. Sunderland game this morning? A bit of controversy to say the least.. But hey, Jozy finally made an impact!

I find Jose Mourinho to be pretty funny. I can see why he's easy to dislike. His post match comments today were hilarious, though.
"I only have four things to say," said a clearly agitated Mourinho.

"Congratulations to my players because they gave what they have and what they don't have. Congratulations to Sunderland because they won.

"Congratulations to Mike Dean because he made a fantastic performance. And congratulations to Mike Riley because what they did during the season was fantastic for the way the championship is going.

"So congratulations to all of them and I have nothing more to say. I'm sorry."

SDC

Post by SDC »

it's liverpool's title now, right?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Not quite...

'Pool are 5 points clear with 3 games to play. The match up against Chelsea is the big one.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Quite shocking that a Mourinho team would loss a key game at home against a bottom feeder. What's not as surprising is the blasting of the refs. His antics tend to get old eventually, but one has to give him that he's suffered some awful robberies over the years. The character could be less of a fanatic, but I am a fan of his coaching.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mourinho reminds me a lot of the great coaches in other professional sports with Greg Popovich and Bill Belichick coming to mind first. They're all tactically brilliant, but their schtick with the media can be very annoying.

For all of Mourinho's "special" talents, I think Chelsea have overachieved the last couple of months. They've been great defensively all season, but they've been without an effective striker almost all season as well. They really shouldn't have made it past PSG who were without Ibra for the second game and managed to get through because of Ba's lucky goal.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mourinho reminds me a lot of the great coaches in other professional sports with Greg Popovich and Bill Belichick coming to mind first. They're all tactically brilliant, but their schtick with the media can be very annoying.
joe-say likes the cameras, while pop would rather avoid the media or say little.