Midterm Elections

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Midterm Elections

Post by Indy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:16 am

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:26 pm
Nodack wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:22 pm
Proposition 127

Arizona voters have rejected a measure requiring regulated utilities to obtain 50 percent of their electricity from renewable energy sources like solar or wind power by 2030.

Steyer poured millions into the proposed constitutional amendment — one that was fiercely opposed by the state's largest utility, Arizona Public Service. A group backed by the utility fought the measure, spending millions of dollars on ads, and rounding up a wide coalition of opponents.

The utility's parent company spent more than $25 million to oppose the measure, arguing it would raise consumer costs by as much as $1,000 a year per customer annually and hurt the reliability of the state's electrical grid.

Initiative supporters say Arizona hasn't taken advantage of its role as the sunniest state in U.S. to develop more solar energy. California's Legislature enacted a similar measure in 2015.
So the parent company, which is probably worth over a billion dollars, spent $25 million to oppose this proposition in part because it would raise consumer costs by as much as $1,000 a year?

Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me.
Utility companies are huge. The parent of APS (Pinnacle West) is worth about $10B. So year, to your point, 25M is a drop in the bucket. They are expecting a gross profit of nearly 2B this year. Profit. They basically spent 1% of their profits on this. And depending on how they spent it, it is probably tax deductible...

Nodack

Post by Nodack » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Corporations spend big to defeat ballot measures
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... t-measures

Corporations and business groups spent hundreds of millions in this week’s midterm elections to defeat ballot measures that would have harmed their bottom lines.

Groups supporting or opposing ballot measures in states across the country spent at least $1.1 billion in 2018, according to data from the online political database Ballotpedia.

Indy

Post by Indy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:57 am

I am not sure how, but we need to find a way to remove corporate money spent to influence elected officials/public policy. Our representatives are supposed to represent us, not a corporation. CU really f*** us even more.

Nodack

Post by Nodack » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:26 pm

I think I need to invest in advertising, especially around elections. We can’t feed the poor or pay the debt but we can find billions to spend on political ads every election.

Indy

Post by Indy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:55 am

Nodack wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:26 pm
I think I need to invest in advertising, especially around elections. We can’t feed the poor or pay the debt but we can find billions to spend on political ads every election.
Its so we can keep hundreds of billions in the hands of about 100 people.