2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
AmareIsGod

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:59 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:46 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:50 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:41 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:36 pm

I can't answer that one. Are they ALL laughed out of court or are you being hyperbolic?
He doesn't say "all" in there. He just says they are being laughed out of court. And they are. I think you admitted that people you trust are telling you that even first year law students could do better. That is laughable when you literally have hundreds of millions of dollars to hire the right people. It tells you that good lawyers are not willing to put their standing with bar on the line for these frivolous suits.
You're right, my mistake. It's a fair question.
How much of the 300 to 400 million (is it more by now?) in donations from the Trump base of supporters to fight this election fraud do you really think is going towards these legal efforts, considering how poorly their cases and evidence are being put together? How much of what you are continuing to read and believe isn't a ploy to sap as much as possible, knowing there really isn't anything substantial to change the results, just so Trump, Guliani and others can pocket millions when Biden is sworn into office? You don't think this is some massive con job to get as much in donations as possible which Trump has no obligation to use any percentage of towards actually fighting these results?...
Good question. I have no idea. Are they even required to use it, or can they just pocket the money? I'm not sure what the rule is on this. You have a grifter like Ali Alexander aka Scammy Davis Jr. who is pushing Stop the Steal, but I'm pretty sure that scumbag is pocketing all the money donated to him, even though he says he is giving the money to help the legal efforts.
Just want to say I'm sorry for being a bit of an ass in the politics section. You can have your opinions, whether liberal or conservative, and support one candidate or another and still be a phenomenal person. My parents (now in their early 60s) were Democrats growing up. Voted for Clinton and Obama. Toward the latter part of Obama's 2nd term, they started to shift. A friend of my dad's, a retired fire department chief, was extremely conservative and would constantly go on and on around my dad about the whole birther deal, that Obama was a Muslim and a bunch of other things. My dad started watching Fox News all the time and, unknown to me, started posting a bunch of comments on Facebook on his friends accounts that would go on and on different directions about Obama being a Muslim and making all of his political decisions based on his Muslim belief's and to appeal to Muslims.

When Hilary ran, they went on and on about Benghazi and her emails. Needless to say, they voted Trump and did so again this election. My dad said a lot of racist shit when we we're growing up. "Ching Chang Chong" type Chinese impersonations and things about people of color. His grandpa was pistol whipped, robbed and later died from his injuries by several young black people in a neighborhood in West Virginia (his grandpa owned a grocery store and, from what I've heard, was sleeping around with a young black girl in the neighborhood). I believe his wife (my dad's grandma) was raped during this robbery and assault and had some lasting injuries until her death. My dad never really liked black people when we were kids and would make a lot of inappropriate comments. My mom told me that a black guy she knew was checking her out one time at a bar when my dad and her were dating, a big guy, and my dad went up and sucker punched him and knocked him out. Lots of stories of my dad getting in fights and always being on the winning end (he was an athlete, both high school and college football).

The point is, my dad softened up as we got older and my sister and I would get on him and he embarrassed when he'd make his racist comments. He wasn't a Republican but a Democrat during those years. I know that some of his anti Obama stances and disparaging opinions of Muslims are rooted in that buried racism that exists, even if he doesn't portray himself as a racist these days.

All of this being said, though I disagree completely with my parents politically and their avid support of Trump (and though my dad had and has racist flaws), I love them both more than anything and don't know of two better people when it comes to their work ethic and their selflessness. They have done many things for many people, for my brother, my sister, myself and our children. They've taken in drug addicted extended family to stay with them, they've paid funeral expenses for family members that live below the poverty line and my dad has literally, on three separate occasions, saved someone's life.

I say things towards you in strong disagreement of your Trump assessment but I also know and believe you just may be an incredible person. So please know that I don't mean ill will towards you. I just struggle to grasp the support of Donald Trump from so many.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Just had a very nice meeting with Attorney General Bill Barr at the White House. Our relationship has been a very good one, he has done an outstanding job! As per letter, Bill will be leaving just before Christmas to spend the holidays with his family...
In other words “I asked you to overturn the election after I claimed fraud and instead you told America there was no fraud. Therefore You’re FIRED!”

Indy

Post by Indy »

bIGDRAWLS0072 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:20 pm
The Storm is coming!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

You knew Barr would be next and I'm glad he essentially got what was coming to him. Trump is loyal to no one but expects blind loyalty. My question is can/will Trump replace him with someone who will do his bidding, whatever that may be?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

William Barr politically kowtowed to Trump at every single opportunity up to the point of supporting a coup and over turning the democratic process of the United States.

I ask Trump supporters, if he's willing to dump someone like Barr, what makes you think he'd treat you any differently?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:39 pm
William Barr politically kowtowed to Trump at every single opportunity up to the point of supporting a coup and over turning the democratic process of the United States.

I ask Trump supporters, if he's willing to dump someone like Barr, what makes you think he'd treat you any differently?
Clearly the only reason Trump turned on Barr is because Barr turned on Trump first. So Barr is still the bad guy, and Trump didn't do anything except try and protect this country.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:40 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Clearly the only reason Trump turned on Barr is because Barr turned on Trump first. So Barr is still the bad guy, and Trump didn't do anything except try and protect this country.
Then, by firing Barr, he's admitting that he hired the wrong guy to protect the country. So he failed. Again.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They won’t say he turned on Barr. Barr’s resignation and Trump praise of him sounds like he just wanted to spend Christmas with the family and resigned a little early because Trump wanted to help him out because he’s such a swell guy. I’m sure it had nothing to do with Trump saying he was going to fire Barr a couple of days ago. I’m sure him timing it at the very moment Biden clinched the Presidency with the EC college was completely coincidental.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ah, right. The ol', "You can't fire me. I quit." maneuver. These guys are so clever.

bIGDRAWLS0072

Post by bIGDRAWLS0072 »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This was moving. The Republican Party has gone so far down hill that lifelong Republicans are jumping ship. It's disgraceful how much they let Trump control their party and continue to kowtow to him.

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:22 pm
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:41 pm

He doesn't say "all" in there. He just says they are being laughed out of court. And they are. I think you admitted that people you trust are telling you that even first year law students could do better. That is laughable when you literally have hundreds of millions of dollars to hire the right people. It tells you that good lawyers are not willing to put their standing with bar on the line for these frivolous suits.
You're right, my mistake. It's a fair question.
How much of the 300 to 400 million (is it more by now?) in donations from the Trump base of supporters to fight this election fraud do you really think is going towards these legal efforts, considering how poorly their cases and evidence are being put together? How much of what you are continuing to read and believe isn't a ploy to sap as much as possible, knowing there really isn't anything substantial to change the results, just so Trump, Guliani and others can pocket millions when Biden is sworn into office? You don't think this is some massive con job to get as much in donations as possible which Trump has no obligation to use any percentage of towards actually fighting these results?...
Good question. I have no idea. Are they even required to use it, or can they just pocket the money? I'm not sure what the rule is on this. You have a grifter like Ali Alexander aka Scammy Davis Jr. who is pushing Stop the Steal, but I'm pretty sure that scumbag is pocketing all the money donated to him, even though he says he is giving the money to help the legal efforts.
Just want to say I'm sorry for being a bit of an ass in the politics section. You can have your opinions, whether liberal or conservative, and support one candidate or another and still be a phenomenal person. My parents (now in their early 60s) were Democrats growing up. Voted for Clinton and Obama. Toward the latter part of Obama's 2nd term, they started to shift. A friend of my dad's, a retired fire department chief, was extremely conservative and would constantly go on and on around my dad about the whole birther deal, that Obama was a Muslim and a bunch of other things. My dad started watching Fox News all the time and, unknown to me, started posting a bunch of comments on Facebook on his friends accounts that would go on and on different directions about Obama being a Muslim and making all of his political decisions based on his Muslim belief's and to appeal to Muslims.

When Hilary ran, they went on and on about Benghazi and her emails. Needless to say, they voted Trump and did so again this election. My dad said a lot of racist shit when we we're growing up. "Ching Chang Chong" type Chinese impersonations and things about people of color. His grandpa was pistol whipped, robbed and later died from his injuries by several young black people in a neighborhood in West Virginia (his grandpa owned a grocery store and, from what I've heard, was sleeping around with a young black girl in the neighborhood). I believe his wife (my dad's grandma) was raped during this robbery and assault and had some lasting injuries until her death. My dad never really liked black people when we were kids and would make a lot of inappropriate comments. My mom told me that a black guy she knew was checking her out one time at a bar when my dad and her were dating, a big guy, and my dad went up and sucker punched him and knocked him out. Lots of stories of my dad getting in fights and always being on the winning end (he was an athlete, both high school and college football).

The point is, my dad softened up as we got older and my sister and I would get on him and he embarrassed when he'd make his racist comments. He wasn't a Republican but a Democrat during those years. I know that some of his anti Obama stances and disparaging opinions of Muslims are rooted in that buried racism that exists, even if he doesn't portray himself as a racist these days.

All of this being said, though I disagree completely with my parents politically and their avid support of Trump (and though my dad had and has racist flaws), I love them both more than anything and don't know of two better people when it comes to their work ethic and their selflessness. They have done many things for many people, for my brother, my sister, myself and our children. They've taken in drug addicted extended family to stay with them, they've paid funeral expenses for family members that live below the poverty line and my dad has literally, on three separate occasions, saved someone's life.

I say things towards you in strong disagreement of your Trump assessment but I also know and believe you just may be an incredible person. So please know that I don't mean ill will towards you. I just struggle to grasp the support of Donald Trump from so many.
It's fine. I'm not perfect. I'm sure I haven't been the nicest to people from time to time, and I admit I may have gone overboard on Indy(sorry Indy), even though I do think he's been an arrogant ass over time. It hit on my last nerve, and arrogance is the least admirable character trait imo. I don't like or appreciate bullies or bully tactics. I don't mind having disagreements with others, but it's hard to come into the political forum over the yrs, when you are ganged up on and some just come in to pile on without actually bringing in a good point or adding to the discussion. I stopped coming around when Marty claimed, very wrongly, that all Reps were racist. I thought that was completely uncalled for and completely wrong, yet it seems to be some kind of tactic. I'm not racist, xenophobic, Islamophobic, homophobic, transphobic or any other type of disparaging box people try to put each other in. I am acrophobic though. I have a deathly fear of heights.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bIGDRAWLS0072

Post by bIGDRAWLS0072 »

Now the new AG can do the job Barr should have been doing.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I don't think that was really the case, that he kowtowed to Trump at every single opportunity. There are a lot of Republicans that were/are very critical of Barr and how he's handled things over the yr.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Hey guys, I went to my boss today and told him I'm the new boss. So he needs to start calling me boss to protect the company.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:04 pm
Hey guys, I went to my boss today and told him I'm the new boss. So he needs to start calling me boss to protect the company.
How's that working out for you? Seems like a bold move. I approve.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:59 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I don't think that was really the case, that he kowtowed to Trump at every single opportunity. There are a lot of Republicans that were/are very critical of Barr and how he's handled things over the yr.
I exaggerated. It's hard to resist doing so when some on the other side of the table are constantly pulling out absolutely ridiculous "facts".

Still doesn't change that Barr did a bunch of terrible things (IMO) to appease Trump and his voter base, yet he's out of a job once it comes to overturning a presidential election.
Last edited by Flagrant Fowl on Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:04 pm
How's that working out for you? Seems like a bold move. I approve.
About as well as Trump's attempt.

Joking aside, just coming out and saying, "Trust me. I'm the best for the job." without any factual evidence is the quickest way for me to not trust someone.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:57 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:22 pm
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
It's fine. I'm not perfect. I'm sure I haven't been the nicest to people from time to time, and I admit I may have gone overboard on Indy(sorry Indy), even though I do think he's been an arrogant ass over time. It hit on my last nerve, and arrogance is the least admirable character trait imo. I don't like or appreciate bullies or bully tactics. I don't mind having disagreements with others, but it's hard to come into the political forum over the yrs, when you are ganged up on and some just come in to pile on without actually bringing in a good point or adding to the discussion. I stopped coming around when Marty claimed, very wrongly, that all Reps were racist. I thought that was completely uncalled for and completely wrong, yet it seems to be some kind of tactic. I'm not racist, xenophobic, Islamophobic, homophobic, transphobic or any other type of disparaging box people try to put each other in. I am acrophobic though. I have a deathly fear of heights.
I am not sure where I was being arrogant or bullying anyone. I happily engage in conversation with everyone here, regardless of their political views. I do call things like I see them, and maybe I need to be a bit more thoughtful in how my words in here could hurt someone else's feelings.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Arrogance is a lest admirable character trait. From the other side’s perspective Trump is the most arrogant person I can think of. He’s also one of the biggest bullies I can think of. I remember just posting in the Suns thread where I didn’t really like Barkley, Ainge or Bell when they played on other teams. When we got them I guess I enjoyed their antics because it was for the benefit of my team. I suppose being on the right, his antics are similar and as long as he’s doing it for your team they don’t seem as bad.