World Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: World Politics

Post by Mori Chu »

Nobody here thinks that non-US-citizens should vote in federal elections. You gave a bunch of exaggerated strawman comments about people who aren't citizens voting, along with space aliens, cats, fetuses, etc. Nobody here is advocating for silly things like that. We just want all US citizens over 18 to be given access to the ballot box. That's it. Simple. And I struggle to see any reasonable argument against that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I wish it was that simple. Have you read the bills of HR1 & HR4, or the NASA bill that tries to sneak them in too?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Like I said before. No matter what Biden does it will be too aggressive and not aggressive enough allowing Republicans to claim whatever he does was wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... r-ukraine/
As Ukraine braces for a potential Russian invasion, though, Republicans are less united on what Biden should be doing differently.
The party is largely on the same page in urging Biden to get tougher on Russian President Vladimir Putin, with many Republicans pressing the administration to impose harsh economic sanctions sooner rather than later. But there are differences about how far to go.
At least one Republican is urging the president to deploy U.S. troops to Ukraine itself in addition to sending soldiers to NATO member countries in Eastern Europe. Others have questioned why Biden is moving to arm Ukraine at all.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Like I said before, idk what he should do, but I didn't think he should just let Putin hold the gas pipelines over the heads of the EU countries.

I wonder if that's ever happened before, that whatever the President does, the opposing party will say it's wrong? It's probably the first time in history, therefore, "The Republicans are evil".
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Would Biden start a war in Ukraine to cover for his disastrous first yr in office, his tanking poll numbers, rising inflation, to appease the military industrial complex or to cover his shady af business dealings in Ukraine?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I've only heard that this is not just a small fringe of truckers, but 50K trucks from all corners of Canada converging on their capitol.

Thousands of truckers are driving to the Canadian capital to protest federal vaccine mandates some say are 'destroying' their businesses
Grace Kay
Wed, January 26, 2022, 11:11 AM·3 min read

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tho ... 17428.html

Several convoys of truckers are driving to the Canadian capital to protest the country's vaccine mandate.

The protest is part of an effort called Freedom Convoy which has raised over $5.2 million Canadian dollars.

Conservative Party members in Canada say the mandate will exacerbate supply-chain snags.

Thousands of truckers have been driving to the Canadian capital since Sunday in protest of the COVID-19 vaccine mandate for truckers.

Multiple convoys of truckers across Canada are headed to Ottawa with plans to converge at Parliament Hill for a rally on Saturday against vaccination requirements. The Freedom Convoy, the group that organized the protest, wrote on its GoFundMe page that it believes the government is "implementing rules and mandates that are destroying the foundation of our businesses, industries, and livelihoods."

As of Wednesday, The Freedom Convoy has raised more than $5.2 million Canadian dollars ($4.1 million US) and gathered over 67,000 donations. However, GoFundMe said on Tuesday that it has frozen the funds until organizers of the effort can provide a detailed spending plan, per their fundraising policies, according to a report from a Vancouver news station.

Canada's vaccine mandate for truckers was imposed on January 15. The new rules require US truckers to present proof of vaccination in order to cross the border, while Canadian truckers without a vaccine passport are required to quarantine and take a COVID-19 test when they reenter from the US. The US imposed a similar mandate on January 22.

Though the Canadian Trucking Alliance (CTA) — a group that represents over 4,500 carriers in the country — has denounced the protest, it previously called for the US and Canadian government to delay the vaccine mandate on the basis that it could impact upwards of 15% of truckers, or about 16,000 unvaccinated Canadian drivers.

Insider previously reported that the mandate could exacerbate shortages and price hikes in both the US and Canada. Eighty percent of trade between the US and Canada moves by truck, and Canada accounts for one of the US's largest export markets. Trade between the two countries totaled over $600 billion in 2019.

James Ward, president of Truckload Carriers Association, previously told Insider that he believed the vaccine mandates in both countries would worsen the shortage of truck drivers and make it more difficult to bring in new ones, while adding to longer wait times at the border.

Several YouTube videos show supporters gathering along the Trans-Canada Highway in Saskatchewan on Monday night to support the truckers. Saskatchewan police reported a convoy of over 1,000 trucks headed for the capital on Tuesday, according to FreightWaves.

Local Vancouver news reported that several Conservative members of Parliament in Canada gathered along the highway to support the truckers, after other party members warned the mandate could worsen the supply-chain crisis.

In a press conference on Monday, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Conservative Party members are "fearmongering."

"Almost 90% of truckers in Canada are already vaccinated, and the best way to continue to prevent supply chain disruptions is to ensure that everyone gets vaccinated," Trudeau said.

Indy

Post by Indy »

There are two different issues going on in Canada with respect to truckers. One is that they are protesting the poor state of roads. The other is the mandate for truckers that cross borders.

A quick google tells you that there are roughly 160k truckers that are impacted by the mandate, and 90% are already vaccinated. That makes it extremely unlikely that 50k are protesting. At most it would be 16k. And this article puts the number in the hundreds. Not thousands. And not tens of thousands...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6324942

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I know what the article says, Indy. I'm telling you that the truckers are saying it's upward of 50K. I'm not lying to you, but someone is.

Indy

Post by Indy »

you are so gullible

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The article he linked didn't say it was 50k trucks. Where did you hear that part, in2? Citation needed.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sounds to me like a bunch of truckers are big scared babies. If not being vaccinated is hurting your business, get vaccinated. Or stfu about it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:07 pm
The article he linked didn't say it was 50k trucks. Where did you hear that part, in2? Citation needed.
people are saying.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:05 pm
you are so gullible
WARMINGTON: 'Freedom' truckers may form world's longest convoy
Author of the article:Joe Warmington
Publishing date:Jan 26, 2022 • 1 day ago • 3 minute read

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... est-convoy

According to Guinness World Records, the longest truck convoy ever recorded was 7.5 km long, in Egypt in 2020.

The Freedom Convoy heading from British Columbia to Ottawa is said to be considerably longer.

“It’s 70 km long,” said Benjamin Dichter, spokesman for the Freedom Convoy 2022. “I have seen footage from an airplane. It’s impressive.”

By Wednesday, truckers hope to have taken their protest through to Manitoba and will make it to southern Ontario on Friday.

Plans call for the convoy to arrive in Ottawa on Saturday for a protest.

If it gets there on time — and if the convoy holds together as it has in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan — it could be 10 times larger than the world record.

“The largest parade of trucks consisted of 480 trucks and is achieved by Tahya Misr Fund (Egypt), in Cairo, Egypt, on 20 November 2020,” Guinness says on its website. “With a length of 7.5 km, Tahya Misr Fund was able to organize a parade of 480 trucks, amid the harsh weather and heavy rain, breaking the Guinness World Records title for the largest parade of trucks, which was achieved 16 years ago in the Netherlands with a parade size of 416 trucks.”

There are estimates the Canadian convoy could comprise 50,000 trucks from the West, East, and even from the United States. It’s difficult to speculate what will transpire in the days ahead.

It looks like Ottawa could be swamped with long-haul trucks on Jan. 29. But with winter weather and potential issues, including possible roadblocks or traffic snarls, time will tell.

Whatever happens, it won’t be for lack of support.

Thousands of Canadians have lined the route, cheered from overpasses and offered to feed drivers in their homes and restaurants.

It’s a grassroots demonstration that has become far bigger than anything organizers had envisioned.

With that comes problems. Media reports said a GoFundMe campaign for the convoy, which had surpassed $5 million by Wednesday morning, had been frozen by GoFundMe.

“Fake news,” said Dichter, whose name — along with Tamara Lich — is listed as an organizer. “It’s not true.”

GoFundMe spokesman Rachel Hollis told the Toronto Sun “we are continuing to work directly with the organizer to gather information about how funds are being distributed. This is part of our standard process to ensure the protection of all donors” and “once a withdrawal plan is provided by the organizer, our team is on standby to safely and quickly deliver the funds.”

Organizers have said the raised money, far more than they ever anticipated, is to help truckers with fuel, lodging and food costs.

“But this has never been about that money,” said Dichter, who added with or without it, the convoy will roll forward.

Dichter said he and Lich are the only two speaking on behalf of the Freedom Convoy. So when social media posts talk of insurrection or violence, he added, it will be clear such agitators or saboteurs are not involved in organizing their “peaceful” and “law-abiding” demonstration.

The protest, Dichter said, is about lifting vaccine mandates for truckers at the Canada-U.S. border and other issues relating to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, including forcing drivers to wear masks in trucks.

For the public, the convoy has become a beacon of hope that overreaching COVID-19 lockdowns, restrictions and mandates will soon come to an end.

However, the Liberal government is standing firm.

“The government of Canada and the Canadian Trucking Alliance both agree that vaccination, used in combination with preventative public health measures, is the most effective tool to reduce the risk of COVID-19 for Canadians, and to protect public health,” said a joint statement from federal cabinet ministers Omar Alghabra, Seamus O’Regan and Carla Qualtrough, and Canadian Trucking Alliance president Stephen Laskowski.

This is shaping up to be a potential game of chicken, and the world convoy record may fall, too.

jwarmington@postmedia.com

Indy

Post by Indy »

If it is 9x longer than one with 480 trucks, that means it has 4300 trucks. That isn't 50,000.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:09 pm
If it is 9x longer than one with 480 trucks, that means it has 4300 trucks. That isn't 50,000.
That's only one road in one section of the country at that time. You understand that, right? You don't possibly think that all the trucks come from the same location and drive the same exact route at the same time, right? Btw, the article stated "There are estimates the Canadian convoy could comprise 50,000 trucks from the West, East, and even from the United States. It’s difficult to speculate what will transpire in the days ahead." Did you miss that part? I guess it's not just "hundreds", as you dismissively claimed.

If you insist on being swarmy about it, I advise you to take it up with Joe Warmington, who wrote the article. His email address was at the bottom of the article: jwarmington@postmedia.com Let me know how he responses and if he retracts the article or makes a correction.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I guess we will see in a week or so. And the article is quoting the organizer of the truckers to say how big the convoy is. That is like citing Sean Spicer on how big Trump's inauguration crowd was.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, I'm sure he may be overestimating, but from the video I've seen so far, it's been quite large. So who should I believe on this one? Who's closer to the situation?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not sure you have to believe anyone in their estimates about how many truckers might show up to protest some things next week. Just wait until they show up to protest, listen to what they said, and see for yourself.

Just for reference, the Ontario Provincial Police are reporting a total of 113 trucks.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

113, 5000, 50000, who's to say??? I guess we'll never know. All I know is that the FAKE media is NOT covering it!