Ferguson

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Ferguson

Post by Mori Chu »

It's not necessary to release someone's name out to an angry public in order to get "justice." That release is far more likely to get the person harassed and/or killed.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Mori Chu wrote:It's not necessary to release someone's name out to an angry public in order to get "justice." That release is far more likely to get the person harassed and/or killed.
Exactly. Not to mention that it makes it less likely for someone to actually come forward if they have a legitimate complaint.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu wrote:It's not necessary to release someone's name out to an angry public in order to get "justice." That release is far more likely to get the person harassed and/or killed.
one thing i realized is when the these people and their defenders are exposed as falsifiers/liars, they never apologize to the REAL victims like officer wilson or the fratboys at UVA. Instead, what we get are more whining from people like andy saying that this (ie punishing the liars) will only prevent somebody in the future from from coming forward to report on real racism or actual rapes, and pooh poohing what the liars did because at least their deception raised social awareness on a legitimate issue.
Last edited by SDC on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

No, I didn't say that at all. I said, more than once, that she should be tried and prosecuted for what she did. I did not pooh pooh what she did, and I did not say that her lies raised social awareness at all. What she did is detrimental to the legitimate issue, in fact. She doesn't have to be publicly raked over the coals for that to happen; it already has.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ghost wrote:No, I didn't say that at all. I said, more than once, that she should be tried and prosecuted for what she did. I did not pooh pooh what she did, and I did not say that her lies raised social awareness at all. What she did is detrimental to the legitimate issue, in fact. She doesn't have to be publicly raked over the coals for that to happen; it already has.
who got raked over the coals again? since we dont know the identity of the accuser, her reputation is still pristine.

CONFIRMATION BIAS
John Mcwhorter: The Truth About UVA and Ferguson Isn't Good Enough for P.C. Crowd
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... verge.html

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I know you recognize the words I type, but are you incapable of understanding sentences?

I did not say anyone has been raked over the coals. I am saying that what she did, lying and making false accusations, has already caused harm for the next time someone is legitimately in a situation where they are tempted, but afraid, to file a police report.

If her identity is revealed, she will be raked over the coals. This would cause more damage in the future, put her at risk that far exceeds any sort of just penalty for what she did, and provide absolutely no public benefit except to people who may want to threaten her.

Are you deliberately trying to play dumb and not understand what I write, or just incapable of it?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Officer Wilson is not a "victim" in the Ferguson story.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And now we have another Ferguson in S.C., but worse. This time a cop shooting an unarmed guy in the back several times as he runs away and it's all on video. Then somebody else films the guy planting a taser on the guy after the fact. Ouch.

carey

Post by carey »

Until good cops start purging bad ones from the force I'll never trust another police officer. This thin blue line or whatever they want to call it is fucking nonsense. Get rid of the damn sociopaths and restore honor to your professions assholes.

I assume you've seen the one where a K-9 officer has his dog maul an unconscious man who later dies of his wounds while another officer does nothing but watch. Shameful.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

carey wrote:Until good cops start purging bad ones from the force I'll never trust another police officer. This thin blue line or whatever they want to call it is fucking nonsense. Get rid of the damn sociopaths and restore honor to your professions assholes.

I assume you've seen the one where a K-9 officer has his dog maul an unconscious man who later dies of his wounds while another officer does nothing but watch. Shameful.
Mandating GoPros or something similar would be a good start. Make disabling them a firing offense.

The reduction in legal settlements would pay for them in no time.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, I hate to offer a heavy-handed solution, but it seems like cops need to start wearing cameras. It'll protect them from frivolous claims and lawsuits, as well as protecting innocent people from being victimized. As Dan says, they'll cost some money but they'll pay for themselves in recovered potential court fees and general happiness/satisfaction.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I would bet that municipal insurance companies are going to start demanding them or raise premiums. The studies I've seen show that there's a marked decrease in complaints against officers when they're wearing them.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Another one
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local ... 50951.html#
In the two minutes after the man was stunned with a Taser, it appeared deputies kicked him 17 times, punched him 37 times and struck him with batons four times. Thirteen blows appeared to be to the head. The horse stood idly nearby.
The man did not appear to move from his position lying on the ground for more than 45 minutes. He did not appear to receive medical attention while deputies stood around him during that time.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I remember this one from a couple years ago, Phoenix police planting drugs on a homeless woman. But there are hundreds of stories like this.

"Blue wall of silence" it's called. But look at all the videos on the right side of that youtube screen. Those are police engaged in criminal conspiracy. Politicians have promised to be tough on crime for decades, but what's this? Tough on people? Too many bad cops out there.

While the President and mayors across the country are calling for cops to be put on cameras, there's this winner in Texas. http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/03/ ... ming-cops/

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Cops using deadly force in the news. Here's a cop justified in shooting the suspect, but restrains himself more than I think I would have in that situation. Only the bad ones making the news. Here is a good one.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/19/us/ohio-n ... index.html#

On Thursday, Officer Jesse Kidder could have opened fire on a man in New Richmond, Ohio, and likely would never have heard a breath of the protest that followed the shootings of Eric Harris and Walter Scott.

What might have been a "suicide by cop" ended in the suspect's arrest and booking, thanks to what Kidder's colleagues say was his "great restraint."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And then Baltimore started and we haven't even mentioned it. I guess we are numb to this now.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

We've all insulted each other enough that there's no one left to talk to.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I'm not easily insulted. If I only talked to people who weren't screwed up I wouldn't have any friends. I have yet to meet a perfect person without issues. We all have egos and think we are always right about everything. We lose each other here when we start insulting each other's intelligence. There are only a few of us that are brave enough to come here. I value our discussions here and hope they can continue.

You have been a knowledgable poster OE32. You know your stuff. You have rubbed a few people the wrong way. I guess you insulted their intelligence. If you want to get on Indy and Ghost's bad side just start acting like a superior know it all. That doesn't fly with them. Dan and I rub each other the wrong way sometimes. We come from different positions and can't help but take a jab at each other sometimes. I usually feel bad after I do it and usually it was because I read something else on the web that pissed me off and I take it out on Dan because he supports the side I am pissed at.

It takes a special mentality to be able to come here and talk politics without going ballistic.

Indy

Ferguson

Post by Indy »

To be fair, almost nobody here goes ballistic. For the most part, we are incredibly civil.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

There are definitely some moments where we get along less civilly than others...but everyone who posts here regularly is cool by me. It's a small crew, but we've come a long way from azcentral and even from the old phxsuns board.