Edited: easier to buy guns than vegetables?

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Edited: easier to buy guns than vegetables?

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:It was a big nothing sandwich for me, but not to everybody in Texas already paranoid of government including the Governor that feels the need to keep an eye on them just to make sure they aren't planning an overthrow.
Yeah, they are a little crazy there.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/opinions/ ... index.html

Dissenters are arising in our midst, too, and pose some danger. A suspiciously sane former state lawmaker, Todd Smith, a Republican, wrote the governor to tell him that his "pandering to idiots" had made him "livid." Although Smith served 16 years in the Texas House, he seems to have salvaged a troubling intelligence. He told Gov. Abbott, "I am horrified that I have to choose between the possibility that my governor actually believes this stuff and the possibility that my governor doesn't have the backbone to stand up to those who do. I'm not sure which is worse."

But be not afraid, America. We are Texans. We will resist logic and intelligence to the very end. And we will keep up our traditions. From the Alamo to the Battle of Goliad, the Confederacy, LBJ's Vietnam, George W. Bush's Iraq War, and even Jerry Jones' Dallas Cowboys, we have a long legacy of losing. And the odds are also against us in the coming Battle of Jade Helm, but we expect to prevail against the invaders, and we will not give up our rights.

Or our air conditioning, cold beer, and Slim Jims.

Signed,

A Patriotic Texan

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

As a native Arizonan, I REALLY get pissed off when other states try to out-crazy us. Eff you, Texas.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That's the spirit!

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Apparently if your neighbor complains too much you can get their guns taken away.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 81076.html

Bailey had complained to the City of Glendale about a neighbor's habit of parking dump trucks used in his landscaping company. The dispute unfolded over several months until Bailey called police over concerns of toxic chemical odors apparently coming from the neighbor's property. The neighbor apparently alleged that Bailey had threatened him, and the following day, he obtained a harassment order against Bailey.

More detail:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/04 ... lieve-why/

He said his neighbor would park two large, smelly “dump trucks” used for his business and other vehicles in the small cul-de-sac where they live.

Bailey said he eventually filed a complaint with the city and the neighbor was ordered to remove all dump trucks and other work-related equipment from the private residence. Though he initially complied with the city’s order, the veteran said his neighbor would sometimes bring the trucks back on some weekends, when the city was closed, “just to irritate us.”

After over two months of calm in January and February, the situation climaxed on March 16 after Bailey called police because he smelled what he thought were “toxic chemicals” coming from the neighbor’s property.

“I spend my days sitting out on my patio relaxing,” he told TheBlaze, explaining that he is severely disabled. “The smell got so bad, I had to come back to my patio and use my inhaler — so I called the police to see if anything could be done.”

When the police arrived, Bailey said he was told by police officers that the neighbor alleged he had threatened to “shoot” him, a claim he said was “bulls**t.” The very next day, March 17, the neighbor told authorities that Bailey had threatened him and filed for an “injunction against harassment.”

Indy

Post by Indy »

If you threaten to kill someone with your firearms, you should be prepared to lose them.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:If you threaten to kill someone with your firearms, you should be prepared to lose them.
Eh. You should be able to kill one person per gun before it is taken away.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Edited: easier to buy guns than vegetables?

Post by Indy »

Two in texas. If they aren't white.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

The claim wasn't investigated, and apparently since he got his stuff back he didn't make the threat. Still make it okay? Thought we had such a thing as due process . . .

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:Two in texas. If they aren't white.
;)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H wrote:The claim wasn't investigated, and apparently since he got his stuff back he didn't make the threat. Still make it okay? Thought we had such a thing as due process . . .
We do. If a police officer reported it and a judge ordered it, sounds processy. And it was overturned. That's even more processy.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Indy wrote:
Dan H wrote:The claim wasn't investigated, and apparently since he got his stuff back he didn't make the threat. Still make it okay? Thought we had such a thing as due process . . .
We do. If a police officer reported it and a judge ordered it, sounds processy. And it was overturned. That's even more processy.
Re-read the article. If he followed this (http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/S ... er/iah.asp) process it sounds like the police probably weren't even involved except for serving it. That's not a judicial process, it's a bureaucratic one. Obviously it ended well, but what consequences does the neighbor face for false reporting? Yet one more reason I'm glad I don't live in the city. I just think the legal bar should be a bit higher to strip someone of their civil rights. If nothing else there should have at least been an opportunity for the defendant to present his side of the case to the courts before it went to that extreme.

As an aside, I found this interesting:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... n-control/

Indy

Post by Indy »

I read both articles, and the website to which you just linked. I am not sure how a judge (judicial branch) issuing an injunction isn't following due process, and isn't a "judicial process" as you said. When you threaten to kill someone, and clearly are repeatedly calling the police, there is evidence of harassment. You don't need to send a detective out to look into it when you have multiple reports filed already of repeated interactions between these two guys (all of it one-sided).

As an aside, I found this interesting:
Which part of that was interesting? Bernie has been the same way for 40 years in congress.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

He denied threatening to kill the guy. Where's the proof that he did?

Presumably if there were any he would have lost his case and been subjected to psychological evaluation.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H wrote:Presumably if there were any he would have lost his case and been subjected to psychological evaluation.
I doubt it. I am pretty sure if he said, "yeah I said that when I was pissed that he kept parking his trucks here, but I was upset and didn't mean it" he wouldn't lose his guns. Hell, people shoot people and don't lose their guns.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

https://www.facebook.com/15956880411289 ... 9475626817

I'm not sure if this is going to work properly since it's off Facebook, but it's a good example of why magazine limits are a bad idea when it comes to self defense. The first carjacker is shot four times and still manages to sprint away. Life ain't like the movies.

Bad awareness on the part of the driver, though.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Are you saying that because people are bad shots, they need more shots?

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

"Bad shots"?

He hit the first guy 4 times. Second guy I couldn't tell for sure. Looks like he was using a 1911, which holds 7 rounds in a standard magazine. Compared to the NYPD's accuracy rate he's an expert marksman. :lol:

Point is people hopped up on adrenaline or drugs will very often take more than one shot to put down, unlike on TV and in the movies.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Even the most restrictive measures out there wouldn't limit rounds to less than 10. So it sounds like it was his choice of using a 7-shot firearm was more at fault than liberals.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

They got 10; they want 7. Mission creep? Or would they be satisfied until the end of time once they got 7.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/12/fe ... lows-rest/