Russia/Ukraine

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Russia/Ukraine

Post by Nodack »

I don’t think it’s ok to lose allies. We abandoned the Kurds. That was Trump but, it doesn’t matter. It was the US. We abandoned Afghanistan. That was Trump and Biden and 20 years of endless war that Americans were sick of. We left them a formidable army who abandoned their posts the second we decided to leave.

In Ukraine the US, Russia, China, UK and France all signed onto the Budapest Memorandum and promised to protect Ukraine form attacks if they abandoned their nukes. Obviously Russia by invading isn’t holding their end up. China is sort of allies with Russia and blames the US for Russia invading and certainly isn’t going to defend Ukraine. That leaves the US and Europe to do something about it. The US and Europe is sending weapons in support but ruled out sending in troops. Biden went to Europe to get Europe and the US on the same page and they decided against sending troops into Ukraine but added troops to the border of Ukraine.

Imo Biden is doing just about all he can. If he sent troops into Ukraine what do you think the Republican response would be? We have lots of In2itions out there who blame Biden for being too soft and letting Putin just waltz in while simultaneously calling him a war monger who wants to send their kids to their deaths and start WWIII while simultaneously supporting Trump who thinks the invasion was brilliant.

If the US, France, Germany, UK, China and EU sent troops into Ukraine before Putin invaded he might have thought twice. Biden going in all alone with no other allies and half his own country rooting against him would have been doomed for failure and Republicans would have pounced and demanded he be impeached for it. Biden is handling this as well as I can imagine.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:02 pm
I don’t think it’s ok to lose allies. We abandoned the Kurds. That was Trump but, it doesn’t matter. It was the US. We abandoned Afghanistan. That was Trump and Biden and 20 years of endless war that Americans were sick of. We left them a formidable army who abandoned their posts the second we decided to leave.

In Ukraine the US, Russia, China, UK and France all signed onto the Budapest Memorandum and promised to protect Ukraine form attacks if they abandoned their nukes. Obviously Russia by invading isn’t holding their end up. China is sort of allies with Russia and blames the US for Russia invading and certainly isn’t going to defend Ukraine. That leaves the US and Europe to do something about it. The US and Europe is sending weapons in support but ruled out sending in troops. Biden went to Europe to get Europe and the US on the same page and they decided against sending troops into Ukraine but added troops to the border of Ukraine.

Imo Biden is doing just about all he can. If he sent troops into Ukraine what do you think the Republican response would be? We have lots of In2itions out there who blame Biden for being too soft and letting Putin just waltz in while simultaneously calling him a war monger who wants to send their kids to their deaths and start WWIII while simultaneously supporting Trump who thinks the invasion was brilliant.

If the US, France, Germany, UK, China and EU sent troops into Ukraine before Putin invaded he might have thought twice. Biden going in all alone with no other allies and half his own country rooting against him would have been doomed for failure and Republicans would have pounced and demanded he be impeached for it. Biden is handling this as well as I can imagine.
WTF?!?

I don't think there is a ton that Biden can do. I don't want war, didn't want Russia to invade, and hate seeing the killing.

Why the F do you guys slander me and my position? Not cool.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is big. European countries vote to boot Russia from the SWIFT financial system. This will really hurt Russia.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:08 pm
Nodack wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:02 pm

WTF?!?

I don't think there is a ton that Biden can do. I don't want war, didn't want Russia to invade, and hate seeing the killing.

Why the F do you guys slander me and my position? Not cool.
I have seen your position. You were worried Biden would send your kids to needless war hinting that he is a war monger and you also said his response was weak and just let Putin right in. You seem to support Trump who was very impressed with Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. The videos above show Republicans heaping praise on Putin invading Ukraine. I posted a video of what appears to be an armored vehicle drastically swerving to run over a civilian vehicle. You claimed that was misinformation and gave a detailed description of some different scenario and even hinted that it might have been a Ukraine armored vehicle who ran over the civilian vehicle but gave no evidence to back any of it, which seems to suggest you defending Russia.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

As usual he hasn't done his homework and has no actual ideas when asked.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Just a reminder. From 4 days ago.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

E.U. to ban Russian flights from airspace as Putin puts nuclear forces on high alert:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... kyiv-news/

Never good to hear the words "nuclear" and "high alert" as a war is going on.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Does Carlson have the most punchable face you've ever seen in your life? I don't watch these but I can still see his face in the "attract" shot.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I read The Hill often and someone has been flooding the pages with ads for Tucker.

I think Putin is getting desperate. His economy wasn’t great to begin with. His war is unpopular in Russia. There are some pretty major protests there. Ukraine is looking like the little kid getting beat up by the big kid. Ukraine’s leader being hailed as a brave hero while Putin is being called the new Hitler. The sanctions are crippling Russia. They have been kicked out of Swift. Russia’s stock market is getting pummeled. Russians can’t use their state owned bank cards outside of Russia. There is a fear of everyone in Russia pulling their money out of their bank accounts. Russia’s quick advance has been slowed and Putins losses are starting to make headlines. Ukrainians are fighting back and not surrendering. Putins losses are outweighing his gains.

There are reports of peace talks between Russia and Ukraine now.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Unable to criticize or condemn Trump's pro-Putin comments. Okay. What could be easier than saying these words were wrong? What cowards.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This politician here is safe from Putin. He has no skin in the game. He talks about Putin having to fight old women and children in the streets of Ukraine and vows to stand up to Putin from the safety of the US. He is a leader of the Republican party who started off by condemning Obama for not giving Javelins to Ukraine when he was President and when asked why he won’t condemn Trumps praise of Putin several times he resorts to saying “Ask Trump, not me. I’ll let other politicians make their own statements.” taking the safe way out. He had no problem criticizing Obama right before that. He wants to stand up to Putins aggression but, isn’t willing to stand up to a non elected civilian who IS the leader of the Republican party even though Trump is saying the complete opposite of what he is saying on a global life of death topic.

Coward.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... rt-ukraine
Vladimir Putin has ordered his military to put Russia’s nuclear deterrence forces on high alert, in the latest signal from the Russian leader that he is prepared to resort to the most extreme level of brinkmanship is his effort to achieve victory in Ukraine.

France says Putin needs to understand NATO has nuclear weapons
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/fr ... 022-02-24/
PARIS, Feb 24 (Reuters) - France's foreign minister said that Russian President Vladimir Putin, when making threats about using nuclear weapons, needs to understand that NATO, too, is a nuclear alliance, but he ruled out NATO-led military intervention to defend Ukraine.

Asked whether Putin's threat of "such consequences that you have never encountered in your history" was tantamount to threatening Russian use nuclear weapons in the Ukraine conflict, Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said it was indeed understood as such.

What if Putin went off the deep end and decided “F it, if I go down they all go down”? If Putin decided to go all out and use nukes, which country do you think he would hit first?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kind of silly, but oh well.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Condoleezza Rice describes Putin as 'delusional,' 'erratic'
https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... al-erratic
"He seems erratic," Rice said. "There is an ever-deepening, delusional rendering of history, it was always a kind of victimology of what had happened to them, but now it goes back to blaming Lenin for the foundation of Kyiv in Ukraine. So he's descending into something that I personally haven't seen before."

Rice said she wants to make sure that Putin does not try to connect Kaliningrad, which is between Poland and Lithuania, to the rest of Russia by going through the Baltic states.

"We have to make sure he really understands that the cost would be extraordinary to try to cross an Article 5 line," she said, noting that Baltic states are part of NATO and have its protection.

She also expressed support for the sanctions against Putin and Russia over Moscow's invasion of Ukraine, saying that the U.S. should "concentrate on making him pay the highest cost for what he has already done."

Rice said if Putin does not believe he can achieve his objectives, there may be a chance he scales back his ambitions.

"Putin expected an easy win here," she added. "The reality has been quite the opposite."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

'I've got morons on my team': Romney blasts fellow GOP members for attending White nationalist event and supporting Putin
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/27/politics ... index.html

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:46 pm
'I've got morons on my team': Romney blasts fellow GOP members for attending White nationalist event and supporting Putin
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/27/politics ... index.html
Do you think Romney realizes that almost the entire GOP is lost at this point? Or has he convinced himself that it is just a few bad apples?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think he is/was hoping Trump would burn all his bridges eventually and be cast aside as a bad mistake. He shows over and over again that he can say and do anything that would destroy another politician’s career and his supporters go right over the cliff with him, no questions asked. 99% of Republicans that don’t agree with him are too afraid to say anything.