Election Day 2016 Megathread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Election Day 2016 Megathread

Post by Indy »

First, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I wish Trump success in leading a nation that needs unity (of all kinds) more than anything. I have yet to see him unify anything besides poor behavior, but I hope it was all an act, like you said, and he can go back to the things he espoused when he was supporting gay rights and unity three years ago (when he was supporting democrats).
I'm truly disturbed to see people saying/writing that the KKK "won"
To be fair, it was the KKK saying it...
But there are things that worry me, like the Supreme Court nomination and all that comes with that. I worry about LGBTQ rights, gun control, abortion rights. I hope we can move forward and not revert back to where we started on those things.
Not to mention Citizens United. These can have effects that last for decades. Truly scary.

I hope the Republicans were shaken enough to say, "We get it. We're not going to gloat and be s**theads now. If we don't work together and change some things, we'll be next to go". I hope that's what Trump will ultimately stand for symbolically - that people were tired of the norm, tired of the career politicians.
But this isn't what happened. Repubs up for re-election won across the board. If this was really about "draining the swamp" we would have seen incumbents lose, regardless of party. The fact that they won, and Trump won, is a win for the status quo in the GOP; they just have a different leader that will decide to surround himself with the previous leaders (Newt, Christie, Rudy... and there is even talk of Palin in his cabinet).

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That's for now tho. McConnell had this to say tho: "Nothing is forever in this country," he said, as reported by The Washington Post. "We’ve been given a temporary lease on power, if you will. And I think we need to use it responsibly." I'm hoping (doing a lot of hoping these days), he means that. Because it seems like Americans will go with the drastic measure to make their point. And you better believe Dems, minorities and women are going to be out in force voting Republicans out first chance they get.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/DrDavidDuke/status/796249464826687488

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Thanks for the post ShelC. At this point all we can do is wait and see. From my experience the two party's never get the message. Democrats won the WH and controlled all of Congress after Bush. They rammed through Obamacare because they had been trying for many decades and failed. Getting control of everything is like handing a drunk a bottle of rum. They can't help themselves. I haven't known either party to be a party of restraint and giving the GOP total control is giving them a blank check. They won't be able to control themselves and they really don't need to be nice to Democrats because they can push through whatever they want with or without them.

One thing that throws a monkey wrench into all of that is Trump. He is a big unknown and unpredictable and he is is really proud of that. He isn't really a Republican and some of his beliefs/ideas don't mesh with the GOP's beliefs/ideas and that's where we could see some fireworks. His constituents expects the Trump at his rallies. "Lock her up!"

Nobody knows what Trump will do. I expect the worse and hope for the best.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Yes, I'm trolling. But I thought it was funny.

carey

Post by carey »

I expect more than worse. He has spoken often about going after China. If he fucks with China and they call in even a portion of our debt it will be the 1930's all over again. Yes, I realize that is an alarmist's view but we have a wildcard buffoon as President. I'm terrified.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't think he is beholden to a lot of donors and special interests, so he doesn't have to ram through stupid ideas, which is good. I do hope that he concentrates on getting rid of the corrupt politians regardless of party affiliation, and as long as he nominates constitutional judges, instead of those that are trying to push their own agenda to change it, that will be good. I also don't want to see him eliminate the civil rights changes that Obama put in place. Also, if he can make the inner cities safer, cleaner and revitalize them, along eith improving the schools it is long overdue.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:I don't think he is beholden to a lot of donors and special interests, so he doesn't have to ram through stupid ideas, which is good. I do hope that he concentrates on getting rid of the corrupt politians regardless of party affiliation, and as long as he nominates constitutional judges, instead of those that are trying to push their own agenda to change it, that will be good. I also don't want to see him eliminate the civil rights changes that Obama put in place. Also, if he can make the inner cities safer, cleaner and revitalize them, along eith improving the schools it is long overdue.
I have no faith that a man that has made a living ripping people off will be the one to cleanse the corruption from Congress.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I'm scared mostly by trickle-down economics and inaction on climate change. I'm lucky I'm not Muslim, Hispanic, LGBTQ, or female, so I won't be directly impacted by the ugliest aspects of the modern GOP.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:I don't think he is beholden to a lot of donors and special interests, so he doesn't have to ram through stupid ideas, which is good. I do hope that he concentrates on getting rid of the corrupt politians regardless of party affiliation, and as long as he nominates constitutional judges, instead of those that are trying to push their own agenda to change it, that will be good. I also don't want to see him eliminate the civil rights changes that Obama put in place. Also, if he can make the inner cities safer, cleaner and revitalize them, along eith improving the schools it is long overdue.
I have no faith that a man that has made a living ripping people off will be the one to cleanse the corruption from Congress.
I don't have any first hand experience dealing with Trump or even being a customer at one of his properties, but it sounds like you have. As far as cleansing corruption, according to the pristine record of wikileaks, he's already booted out the alleged most corrupt political family to ever be in DC.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:I'm scared mostly by trickle-down economics and inaction on climate change. I'm lucky I'm not Muslim, Hispanic, LGBTQ, or female, so I won't be directly impacted by the ugliest aspects of the modern GOP.
I heard he has secretly funded and developed Robot Sentinels for the past 10 years to hunt down and exterminate all these groups. You're damn lucky.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I don't have any first hand experience dealing with Trump or even being a customer at one of his properties, but it sounds like you have. As far as cleansing corruption, according to the pristine record of wikileaks, he's already booted out the alleged most corrupt political family to ever be in DC.
:roll: keep trollin' along, buddy.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Why the face, an eye roll? That Informer's trademarked response you're stealing. Besides, who trolling who?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Why the face, an eye roll? That Informer's trademarked response you're stealing. Besides, who trolling who?
I was stating an honest opinion. You responded with a snarky response about personally having done business with Trump. Come on man!

Trump has a well documented history of screwing over contractors and then ultimately settling if needed. Not to mention the big Trump university scandal. Are you really going to play dumb to that?

I am not a Hillary apologist and I don't disagree that she is the shining example of corruption in politics, but wishing Trump to end corruption is like asking a drug dealer to lead the war on drugs.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I was stating an honest opinion. You responded with a snarky response about personally having done business with Trump. Come on man!

Trump has a well documented history of screwing over contractors and then ultimately settling if needed. Not to mention the big Trump university scandal. Are you really going to play dumb to that?

I am not a Hillary apologist and I don't disagree that she is the shining example of corruption in politics, but wishing Trump to end corruption is like asking a drug dealer to lead the war on drugs.
You're right, it was tainted with snarkiness, I'm sorry sauce. I'm not usually so snarky, I'm blown away by the hypocrisy I've seen, so it's gotten to me.

I find it difficult to 100% believe everything that the mainstream media was "reporting" and how they portrayed Trump. He wasn't my 15th choice at even a nomination, but honestly the media was exposed as as being entirely biased and working with the Clinton camp on how they wanted to frame his image and message. They could make Mother Theresa look like Hitler's demented mother if they wanted to.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

All good! We're cool. It's been a historically divisive election.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just watched a bit of the Obama/Trump meeting today on YouTube and read something in the comments section that I thought was kind of funny: "Orange is the new black".
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
You can't have an honest opinion without having personally done business with him, just like minorities can't be persecuted with murderous robot sentinels.

Snark is generally supposed to have a point. I don't know what point In2 is trying to make.

Mod Edit: There was no need for that personal attack, Cap. I'm not so much personally calling you out as I am wanting everyone (including myself) to try to keep their emotions/tempers in check - especially during this election that has left me feeling sick to my stomach for various reasons.

And yeah, I recognize the personal irony that is me (of all people! Haha) calling anyone to faux-repentance in the politics section of the .net website.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, who knows), you guys got to see *one* of the ugly sides of my formative years on this site - particularly in this topic section. Needless to say, my views have changed quite a bit since then (thank God), but the familial temper I seem to inherited from both sides has still remained; though very much tempered (haha!) by age and (hopefully) wisdom.

At any rate, tl;dr, I'm the last person who should probably be making this post, but hot dang I really hope that we as a country and come together in the face of such real turmoil.
Last edited by Charlie Smithy! on Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Lettuce be civil.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don't like where this is going. Lots of angst with this election. I've been politicing here for a long time and enjoy our little place to vent but, let's keep it civil please. Its hard with such apposing viewpoints I know. This was a dirty campaign and both sides went for the jugular slinging tons of mud to encite people to follow them and hate the other side. Its no surprise that we have followers from the two sides at each others throats in places like here.

I am not a Trump fan at all and I am going to post anything I think shows him for what I believe him to be, which is a fraud. The other side thinks Hillary should be in jail so there you go. Obama was my favorite all time US President and I got to listen to people calling him every name in the book and claim some outrageous things for 8 years. If you are a Trump supporter you better get used to bad press and people saying shit. It comes with the territory. I try to make my point with facts and figures and not insults. That always turns ugly in a hurry and we all lose.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Now, back to my calling out Trump. He promises to drain the swamp. He's talkng about all those career politicians, special interest and lobbying and in general Washington elites.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/10/politics/ ... index.html
Washington (CNN)To shape his administration, President-elect Donald Trump is drawing squarely from the "swamp" he has pledged to drain.

Trump's transition team is staffed with long-time Washington experts and lobbyists from K Street, think tanks and political offices.

It's a far cry from Trump's campaign, which ended only Tuesday night, and message that he would "drain the swamp" in Washington. He has advocated congressional term limits and proposed a "five-point plan for ethics reform" that included strengthening restrictions on lobbying, including five-year bans for members and staff of the executive branch and Congress from lobbying, and expanding the definition of lobbyist to prevent more revolving door activity.
But he has so far fully embraced lobbyists within his transition, and all signs point to a heavy influence from longtime Washington Republican circles on his transition.

Leaders in his transition include former Rep. Mike Rogers, former Reagan Attorney General and Heritage Foundation fellow Edwin Meese, former President of Heritage Edwin Feulner, former Bush administration official and lobbyist Christine Ciccone, former Dick Cheney adviser Ado Machida, former Senate Budget Committee staffer Eric Ueland and former Sen. Jeff Sessions' chief of staff Rick Dearborn. The effort is chaired by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Trump counts former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Sessions as close advisers.

He hand picked his guys from the swamp he says he would drain. Maybe he just means drain the Democrats in the swamp and not the Republicans in the swamp.