Social media

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Social media

Post by In2ition »

It's been a Dem view far before 2017.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:13 am
It's been a Dem view far before 2017.
Can you cite a source for this, please? Show me a Democrat who advocates for this, or show me a party platform or document saying that the party wants this, or any major Democratic politician who has made a statement indicating that they want this.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t see any articles where any Dem says that.

That’s like me saying Cons have hated all minorities and Jews far before 1939.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I will be happy when the average citizen is a mutt and most people are a mixture of different things. It’s already happening all over and especially the US and I think it’s a good thing.

Obama, half white, half black. Mother a Christian. Father a Muslim. Grew up around them all and respects them all. Favorite President ever.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

"Demographics are destiny" is an observation that the makeup of the US is changing over time, becoming less white and more non-white. There is a big difference between acknowledging that reality and actively building a conspiracy to import illegal immigrants and nationalize them and trick them into voting a certain way.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's not just acknowledging it, it's actively trying to hasten "demographics is destiny" for a political goal, no matter the cost. It's win at all costs for Dems.

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:50 pm
It's not just acknowledging it, it's actively trying to hasten "demographics is destiny" for a political goal, no matter the cost. It's win at all costs for Dems.
How much foil do you go through in a month?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TOO wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:40 pm
In2ition wrote:
Really?

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:48 pm
TOO wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Really?
It made me laugh.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TOO wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:15 pm
In2ition wrote:
TOO wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Really?
It made me laugh.
You laughed at your own joke? That's funny.

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:29 pm
TOO wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:15 pm
In2ition wrote:
TOO wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Really?
It made me laugh.
You laughed at your own joke? That's funny.
Indeed.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hmm, interesting. Elon is backing Gina Carano on a lawsuit against Disney for firing her from The Mandalorian show a few years ago. As I recall, she was let go for making some offensive tweets or online statements.

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/s/5pJGLluucc

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What were the offensive tweets?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Google is your friend. Here are some of her tweets. Note that even if her tweets do not offend you, Disney is not obligated to hire or retain her. They can choose to employ or not employ her as they see fit. They had her on for a season of a show, then after that, they chose not to bring her back for a second season.
Gina Carano will not be returning to The Mandalorian or the Star Wars galaxy after sharing a post on social media implying that being a Republican today is like being Jewish during the Holocaust.

Last November, she issued contentious tweets, one in which she mocked mask-wearing amid the novel coronavirus pandemic and another in which she falsely suggested voter fraud occurred during the 2020 presidential election.

She also jumped in on another conspiracy theory, over the suicide of pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, posting Wednesday a square full of letters containing the message, “Jeff Epstein didnt kill himself.”

One of the first firestorms she sparked online came in September when she addressed the pressure to use trans-friendly pronouns — instead updating her Twitter bio with the words “beep/bop/boop.”

“I’m not against trans lives at all. They need to find less abusive representation,” she wrote in the since-deleted post.

A month before that, she had taken on someone who told her that Black Lives Matter protesters were “trying to educate you so you can get on the right side of history.”

“In my experience, screaming at someone that they are a racist when they are indeed NOT a racist & any post and/or research you do will show you those exact facts, then I’m sorry, these people are not ‘educators.’ They are cowards and bullies,” she wrote in a reply shared by Vanity Fair.

She also went over mask-wearing and leftist leaders in a post of a mocking “breaking news” alert — and showing two men with masks over their eyes rather than their mouths.

“Democratic Government leaders now recommend we all wear blindfolds along with masks so we can’t see what’s really going on,” the November tweet read.

She also joined calls to “open up your businesses & churches” because “people are dropping like flies from depression and suicide, overdoses, MURDER.”

In early November, she also posted about the need to “fix the system” amid early claims that the election was rigged against President Donald Trump.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... y-4131168/
https://nypost.com/2021/02/11/see-gina- ... her-fired/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You are really offended by these tweets?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:55 am
I don't much care about them. But Disney isn't required by law to keep employing somebody if they don't want to, so it is dumb of Carano to try to sue them. She has no case for wrongful termination.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:59 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:55 am
I don't much care about them. But Disney isn't required by law to keep employing somebody if they don't want to, so it is dumb of Carano to try to sue them. She has no case for wrongful termination.
You may be right that she has no case for wrongful termination, but perhaps she has some receipts that prove otherwise. I guess we'll wait to find out. Can we at least agree to not characterize her tweets as hateful? She got banned from Twitter too, which was ridiculous.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:05 am
You may be right that she has no case for wrongful termination, but perhaps she has some receipts that prove otherwise. I guess we'll wait to find out. Can we at least agree to not characterize her tweets as hateful? She got banned from Twitter too, which was ridiculous.
I personally would almost never choose to ban somebody from Twitter/X unless they commit crimes or post really vile things like racism or threats of violence or whatever. Certainly Carano's tweets look tame compared to the cesspool that Musk's Twitter/X has become. There's no way she would get banned for those tweets today; she'd probably be rewarded for such behavior if anything.