2024 Presidential race

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: 2024 Presidential race

Post by Mori Chu »

Tim Scott drops out. He wasn't doing well, though some folks thought he had a shot at one point. I don't get his appeal, but oh well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Probably after seeing SNL’s portrayal of him last night.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

I could see him being the VP for Trump to appeal to black voters… trumps all about the grift.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Maybe now Tim Scott can finally come out as gay. (That's not meant as a joke or insult; there is a lot of buzz that he has hired/asked somebody to pretend to be his girlfriend during the campaign as a cover.)

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/11/ami ... op-debate/

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:01 am
Maybe now Tim Scott can finally come out as gay. (That's not meant as a joke or insult; there is a lot of buzz that he has hired/asked somebody to pretend to be his girlfriend during the campaign as a cover.)

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/11/ami ... op-debate/
Ah. That explains the girlfriend bit on SNL.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

The DC establishment thinks RFK could win, and they’re panicking

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/43 ... n-a-panic/
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:19 pm

It is a sad indictment of humanity that somebody can write that column and still have a job and willing readers.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:

Pffffft. Not trying to shoot the messenger here, but I question this article. There is absolutely no way that RFK can win the Presidential election. And I doubt that a large number of the "establishment" think that he could.

In terms of polling, RFK gets around 22 percent in a hypothetical three-way race against Biden and Trump, according to this article. Biden gets 39 percent in the same poll. 22 percent ain't peanuts, but it's also important to remember that it will be unlikely that the actual Presidential ballots will have those three candidates listed, since it is very hard to get on the ballot in all 50 states as a third-party candidate.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/0 ... p-00124855

This author seems to have written a large number of "RFK could win!" pieces for lots of various media outlets. Methinks he's pushing his own agenda:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Bria ... son%22+RFK

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:56 pm
JeremyG wrote:

Pffffft. Not trying to shoot the messenger here, but I question this article. There is absolutely no way that RFK can win the Presidential election. And I doubt that a large number of the "establishment" think that he could.

In terms of polling, RFK gets around 22 percent in a hypothetical three-way race against Biden and Trump, according to this article. Biden gets 39 percent in the same poll. 22 percent ain't peanuts, but it's also important to remember that it will be unlikely that the actual Presidential ballots will have those three candidates listed, since it is very hard to get on the ballot in all 50 states as a third-party candidate.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/0 ... p-00124855

This author seems to have written a large number of "RFK could win!" pieces for lots of various media outlets. Methinks he's pushing his own agenda:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Bria ... son%22+RFK
The only reason a third-party or independent candidate can't win is because most of the media tells everyone that they can't win.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Do you like RFK? Do you wish he would win?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:54 pm
I do not agree with him on everything. But if given only three choices (him, Biden, or Trump), then yes I wish he would win.

If he is on the ballot in Arizona, I will probably vote for him since he will likely be the highest-polling candidate that is not Democrat or Republican. I vote in every election, but I refuse to vote for the Democrat or Republican candidates. The only exception to this was a year ago when I voted for Adrian Fontes as Secretary of State just to keep our elections intact (Finchem was that scary). :shock:

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Biden scares me because he is old and losing it. Trump scares me because he is evil and old and definitely losing whatever it was. So far no candidate outside Biden and Trump have posed any serious challenge to either candidate. The Dems seem much more willing to elect a different candidate than Biden but, he is the President and that has to come from him on whether he wants to run again and Biden has made it clear he is running again. We have the GOP debates with the front runner who is ahead by two miles skipping them. They should call it the GOP Presidential losers debate.

I don’t know what is going to happen in the next election. Trump will claim fraud no matter what. That is a given. He could very well be convicted by then too. His base won’t care. Trumps latest remarks about the evil vermin Democrats is straight out of Hitler speeches. If he is elected I truly believe America is done.

Biden is sort of screwed. He is being blamed for everything now. The Hamas/Israel saga has divided the nation along different lines than the normal political ones. Lots of pro Hamas/Palestinian Dems have vowed not to vote for Biden because of his support of Israel. If he supported Hamas instead, a different block of his voters would also turn on him. The progressive media is torn between supporting Biden or attacking him. Inflation is still an issue that will be a big determining factor in the election. Russia/Ukraine, Israel/Hamas/US/Iran/Etc. China/Taiwan are potential WWIII sparks.

I can’t fathom living in America if Trump somehow gets elected again and yet it almost seems inevitable that he will be. This next year will definitely be one for the history books and probably not in a good way.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:02 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
I do not agree with him on everything. But if given only three choices (him, Biden, or Trump), then yes I wish he would win.

If he is on the ballot in Arizona, I will probably vote for him since he will likely be the highest-polling candidate that is not Democrat or Republican. I vote in every election, but I refuse to vote for the Democrat or Republican candidates. The only exception to this was a year ago when I voted for Adrian Fontes as Secretary of State just to keep our elections intact (Finchem was that scary). :shock:
Interesting. Do you agree with RFK on a lot of political issues? What are some issues on which you think he is strong?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Dack I think you’re pretty dead on…. Not sure I’m ready to settle on any candidate right now since it’s way too early. I think RFK is a little out there but given our options fully understand/respect your opinion.

What’s up with Andrew Yang? Haven’t really heard much about him.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:22 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:02 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

Interesting. Do you agree with RFK on a lot of political issues? What are some issues on which you think he is strong?
Well, since I am a libertarian-leaning independent, I think he is strong on peace, civil liberties, anti-corporatism (crony capitalism), restoring trust in government, and unifying the country. Those are things where he is reminiscent of Ron Paul (whom I supported in 2012).

Here is a statement from his website on peace and wars:
As President, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. will start the process of unwinding empire. We will bring the troops home. We will stop racking up unpayable debt to fight one war after another. The military will return to its proper role of defending our country. We will end the proxy wars, bombing campaigns, covert operations, coups, paramilitaries, and everything else that has become so normal most people don’t know it’s happening. But it is happening, a constant drain on our strength. It’s time to come home and restore this country.
https://www.kennedy24.com/peace

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I can’t get behind any candidate who was a coocoocachoo with respect to Covid or election conspiracies. Immediately lose all respect for that individual.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:45 pm
Biden scares me because he is old and losing it. Trump scares me because he is evil and old and definitely losing whatever it was. So far no candidate outside Biden and Trump have posed any serious challenge to either candidate. The Dems seem much more willing to elect a different candidate than Biden but, he is the President and that has to come from him on whether he wants to run again and Biden has made it clear he is running again. We have the GOP debates with the front runner who is ahead by two miles skipping them. They should call it the GOP Presidential losers debate.

I don’t know what is going to happen in the next election. Trump will claim fraud no matter what. That is a given. He could very well be convicted by then too. His base won’t care. Trumps latest remarks about the evil vermin Democrats is straight out of Hitler speeches. If he is elected I truly believe America is done.

Biden is sort of screwed. He is being blamed for everything now. The Hamas/Israel saga has divided the nation along different lines than the normal political ones. Lots of pro Hamas/Palestinian Dems have vowed not to vote for Biden because of his support of Israel. If he supported Hamas instead, a different block of his voters would also turn on him. The progressive media is torn between supporting Biden or attacking him. Inflation is still an issue that will be a big determining factor in the election. Russia/Ukraine, Israel/Hamas/US/Iran/Etc. China/Taiwan are potential WWIII sparks.

I can’t fathom living in America if Trump somehow gets elected again and yet it almost seems inevitable that he will be. This next year will definitely be one for the history books and probably not in a good way.
The collection of candidates this election is depressing. I may not vote this go around. I can’t get myself to vote for Sleepy Joe again, and yet the thought of Trump or one of the lunatic conservatives in the office again is even worse.

What happened to the level headed, not basically dead candidates?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:00 pm
The collection of candidates this election is depressing. I may not vote this go around. I can’t get myself to vote for Sleepy Joe again, and yet the thought of Trump or one of the lunatic conservatives in the office again is even worse.

That would be a mistake. Anybody (or any thing) is better than Trump.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:17 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:00 pm

That would be a mistake. Anybody (or any thing) is better than Trump.
Are they?

Or is one of them just better at hiding their motives?

The only thing keeping me interested in voting for a democrat is the Supreme Court. I can’t have another trump appointed justice added to the most corrupt table in the world