Running Mates

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Ghost

Re: Running Mates

Post by Ghost »

Mori Chu wrote:
Ghost wrote:The GOP is dead after this election. Their party is so broken that they just nominated a dude who is only BARELY a conservative. Even if, somehow, they won the general election, they don't even support him. What a catastrophic failure on their part.
I don't think anything about the party will be "dead" after Trump's likely loss in November. They will likely decide that he lost because he wasn't a "true" Republican, didn't truly espouse the party's beliefs, wasn't picked and groomed by the party establishment. We'll get Paul Ryan as their candidate in 2020 running against the incumbent Hillary, and he'll probably be more representative to them.
Quite literally, many current Republicans will be dead before the 2020 election. The party is so wildly out of touch with both their constituents and reality that the physical death of an ever-increasing number of them to old age is actually less of a threat than the risk that they turn off younger voters. The only way they survive is to change their platform and bring it more to the center.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Which is the opposite of what the are doing today.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:Which is the opposite of what the are doing today.
Actually, I think Trump is more centrist than Cruz.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Trump knows what he's doing. He might just pull this off and become President.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Running Mates

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:Trump knows what he's doing. He might just pull this off and become President.
Did you read the article from one of his former staff? I'm going to have to strongly disagree that he knows what he is doing. This all seems very right place, right time to me.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think he went into this on a whim or looking to bow out early. It's for sure right place, right time but he also knew when to jump on the opportunity. He's created this character through his brand and his reality show which has allowed him to be pretty much invulnerable to everything thrown at him. As I've said before, politics aside, the guy's a marketing/PR genius. Even that Fox special last night with Megyn Kelly was positioned to give him a broad audience and allow him to seem more accessible, low-key, "Presidential". And he did it with a female journalist he used to be at war with which may have changed some minds in the process.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:I don't think he went into this on a whim or looking to bow out early. It's for sure right place, right time but he also knew when to jump on the opportunity. He's created this character through his brand and his reality show which has allowed him to be pretty much invulnerable to everything thrown at him. As I've said before, politics aside, the guy's a marketing/PR genius. Even that Fox special last night with Megyn Kelly was positioned to give him a broad audience and allow him to seem more accessible, low-key, "Presidential". And he did it with a female journalist he used to be at war with which may have changed some minds in the process.
I don't think he knows what he is doing, but he hires people to know those things. I think he could be elected, but he won't know what to do when he gets there. Governing is completely different than running an election, or even running a business. He doesn't understand that.

And the fox special was carefully orchestrated to make women hate him less. Right now, the way he is poling, he cannot win unless there is a huge shift in the like-ability with women.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Trump has a talent for getting attention and self-promotion, and hires people to support that.

Has anybody seen ESPN's 30-for-30 about the USFL? Trump is prominently featured.

While many of the original owners were invested in the league and wanted to make a go of it, the feeling was that Trump's ultimate goal for the New Jersey Generals was to be so good that the NFL would bring that team into the league, in tact, even if the rest of the USFL went belly up. That, of course, did not work out ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Why not? Did the Generals get tired of all the winning?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Cap wrote:Why not? Did the Generals get tired of all the winning?
Trump and the USFL sued the NFL using anti-trust statutes. The USFL actually won in principle, as the NFL was found to have violated anti-monopoly laws

But because the USFL elected to change its season from spring to fall to compete with the NFL, actual damages of $1 were award. With the anti-trust laws and interest, the actual damages came out to $3.76. The jury found that the USFL had changed its strategy to a more risky goal of forcing a merger with the NFL. Furthermore, the switch to a fall schedule caused the loss of several major markets. Essentially, the ruling was "yes, there was a monopoly, but many of the damages claimed by the USFL were self-inflicted."
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Re: RE: Re: Running Mates

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
ShelC wrote:Trump knows what he's doing. He might just pull this off and become President.
Did you read the article from one of his former staff? I'm going to have to strongly disagree that he knows what he is doing. This all seems very right place, right time to me.
Carey: Do you still have a link to said article?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »