Democratic National Convention

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Democratic National Convention

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:^ To respond to Indy's post, I just can't believe that so many people support an openly racist and sexist candidate. Criticizes Muslims all the time. Criticizes women all the time. Criticizes Mexicans, wants to build a wall, accuses a judge of being biased because of "Mexican heritage." Don't even YouTube all his comments about women; they are legion. The guy has done and said so many racist and sexist things, how does he have a voter support base? Is his base really just a bunch of white males? How can that one group hold so much sway?

As someone that lives on the coast, and in big cities, I think you are vastly under-estimating the number of racist white guys in this country, and the number of women that don't have much self-worth. I have a ton of family in rural parts of this country that see him just as carey and nodack described. I think it has a lot more to do with the article I posted last week. It was one of the best things I have read about political motivations in a long time.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Here is the link to what I was talking about:

http://www.phx-suns.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 043#p67043

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Cap posted the proper link. Something about my YouTube Url being shortened caused havoc. It was Jon Stewart.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:Cap posted the proper link. Something about my YouTube Url being shortened caused havoc. It was Jon Stewart.
I don't think this site likes the shortened links or the mobile links for YouTube.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I enjoyed the video.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori, you live in Washington. People are generally good-intentioned and educated there. Arizona has a surplus of unapologetic, gun-toting, hootin' and hollerin' racists. Except THEY play the victim when called racist. It's disgusting. I've had to hide half my Facebook friends this election cycle, or else I'll give in, respond and will end up in the HR office at work.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:Mori, you live in Washington. People are generally good-intentioned and educated there. Arizona has a surplus of unapologetic, gun-toting, hootin' and hollerin' racists. Except THEY play the victim when called racist. It's disgusting. I've had to hide half my Facebook friends this election cycle, or else I'll give in, respond and will end up in the HR office at work.
Mori lives in the Bay Area now. But the same is generally true there.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:Mori, you live in Washington. People are generally good-intentioned and educated there. Arizona has a surplus of unapologetic, gun-toting, hootin' and hollerin' racists. Except THEY play the victim when called racist. It's disgusting. I've had to hide half my Facebook friends this election cycle, or else I'll give in, respond and will end up in the HR office at work.
Yeah, I have a friend from college who grew up in Prescott that I had to tell to quit sending me political emails. Although, not everybody from Arizona has those close minded views. Luckily I grew up in a forward thinking family in AZ. We had racially diverse friends and an open thinking environment.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I grew up in a ghetto complex in the poorest zip code in mesa (I realize that is nothing to the projects in big cities), but it was the best thing I could have hoped for. Yeah, we struggled with having food at times, and even some of the kids in the complex carried to protect themselves, but I wouldn't change it for anything. The perspective you get growing up around all cultures is life-changing. There really is no color to being poor. I can't imagine growing up in a place where most people I saw where the same color or had the same background/family/heritage.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Was going to make a thread about Trump's thing with Khan about the dead soldier, but maybe I'll just post here. That spat is really embarrassing. Trump got dissed by the Muslim-American parents of a dead soldier, and he fired back at them. Several prominent Republicans including John McCain and even Mike Pence have gone out of their way to say that they don't agree with Trump and that they think the fallen soldier is a hero. Trump's campaign advisor even tried to tie the parents of the soldier to Islamic extremism, which was discriminatory and embarrassing.

I think Trump's candidacy is in trouble. I don't deny that he appeals to a certain base of people, but he's showing repeatedly that he isn't fit for the job. His experience and temperament are not even close to those needed by a US President. Really curious to see him in the debates (now I'm hearing a rumor that he may try to skip the debates due to their being scheduled against NFL games?).

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Was going to make a thread about Trump's thing with Khan about the dead soldier, but maybe I'll just post here. That spat is really embarrassing. Trump got dissed by the Muslim-American parents of a dead soldier, and he fired back at them. Several prominent Republicans including John McCain and even Mike Pence have gone out of their way to say that they don't agree with Trump and that they think the fallen soldier is a hero. Trump's campaign advisor even tried to tie the parents of the soldier to Islamic extremism, which was discriminatory and embarrassing.

I think Trump's candidacy is in trouble. I don't deny that he appeals to a certain base of people, but he's showing repeatedly that he isn't fit for the job. His experience and temperament are not even close to those needed by a US President. Really curious to see him in the debates (now I'm hearing a rumor that he may try to skip the debates due to their being scheduled against NFL games?).
He doesn't have to be fit for the job. His supporters are not interested in that. They are interested in hating Obama, and by proxy, Clinton. They would vote for a horse over her. And with the way our electoral college is set up, you only have to fight in a few states to win the election. Right now, Donald just has to win all the states that ALWAYS vote GOP, then get Ohio, Florida and Nevada. There are literally millions of white, rural folks in those 3 states. All 3 of those states voted for Bush both times.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Florida didn't really vote for Bush in 2000. At least, not on purpose.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Was going to make a thread about Trump's thing with Khan about the dead soldier, but maybe I'll just post here. That spat is really embarrassing. Trump got dissed by the Muslim-American parents of a dead soldier, and he fired back at them. Several prominent Republicans including John McCain and even Mike Pence have gone out of their way to say that they don't agree with Trump and that they think the fallen soldier is a hero. Trump's campaign advisor even tried to tie the parents of the soldier to Islamic extremism, which was discriminatory and embarrassing.

He doesn't have to be fit for the job. His supporters are not interested in that. They are interested in hating Obama, and by proxy, Clinton. They would vote for a horse over her. And with the way our electoral college is set up, you only have to fight in a few states to win the election. Right now, Donald just has to win all the states that ALWAYS vote GOP, then get Ohio, Florida and Nevada. There are literally millions of white, rural folks in those 3 states. All 3 of those states voted for Bush both times.
Agree. There will be tons of votes against the democrats in those states, regardless of who the Republican candidate is.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:Florida didn't really vote for Bush in 2000. At least, not on purpose.
It was close enough to be effectively a vote for Bush. Yes, it could have gone either way, but it didn't.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I do think the Electoral College is stupid as currently constructed. If a state is, say, 63% Democrat, it is dumb that 100% of its electoral votes go to the Democrats. It gives candidates no incentive to go campaign and visit states that are too much one color or the other. They should split the electoral votes proportionally. I think Colorado does this. Like if 70% of the vote goes to the Republican candidate and 30% to the Democrat, then roughly 70% of the electoral college votes should go to the Republican candidate, etc. That would really help unlock the whole "red state, blue state" / only "swing" states counting in the election factor, which I hate.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I do think the Electoral College is stupid as currently constructed. If a state is, say, 63% Democrat, it is dumb that 100% of its electoral votes go to the Democrats. It gives candidates no incentive to go campaign and visit states that are too much one color or the other. They should split the electoral votes proportionally. I think Colorado does this. Like if 70% of the vote goes to the Republican candidate and 30% to the Democrat, then roughly 70% of the electoral college votes should go to the Republican candidate, etc. That would really help unlock the whole "red state, blue state" / only "swing" states counting in the election factor, which I hate.

Agreed, but I can't see it changing any time soon. The major swing states actually have quite a bit of power, and they won't want to give that up. As far as I recall, that decision is completely up to the states, so there is no way that Florida or Ohio will break up their hold on presidential elections.