NYT leaks Trump 1990s tax returns

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

NYT leaks Trump 1990s tax returns

Post by Mori Chu »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/us/po ... taxes.html

I think this is slimy of the NY Times. Their political reporters are clearly partisan toward Democrats over the years, and they seem gleeful in their eagerness to release these anonymously distributed Trump tax returns. While the information in the leak is somewhat damning toward Trump, this feels like a 4th Amendment "illegal search and seizure" violation to me, a big violation of his personal privacy. I do think it would be good for him to release his tax returns, but forcefully doing so against his will via a leak like this is not cool to me. Disappointed that a major media outlet like NYT would release this. Can you imagine if somebody hacked and leaked all of Hillary's, say, lifetime health/medical information to try to dig up dirt about her health? Is there any doubt that NYT would treat that kind of information differently since it was about their preferred candidate?

Nodack

Re: NYT leaks Trump 1990s tax returns

Post by Nodack »

This whole year has been the year of leaks and hacks. Snowden.I've had my credit card hacked three times in the last three years. The Dem party was hacked. The Olympic Team was hacked. Banner Health was hacked and all their clients info shared. Yahoo was hacked along with 500 million clients. Hillary tried to hide her emails and ended up having to share tens of thousands of them anyway.

I think any paper if offered juicy info would use it. No secrets are safe nowadays. Sleazy? It's media and politics. It doesn't get any sleazier.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Hehe

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/782404429572026368

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:This whole year has been the year of leaks and hacks. Snowden.I've had my credit card hacked three times in the last three years. The Dem party was hacked. The Olympic Team was hacked. Banner Health was hacked and all their clients info shared. Yahoo was hacked along with 500 million clients. Hillary tried to hide her emails and ended up having to share tens of thousands of them anyway.

I think any paper if offered juicy info would use it. No secrets are safe nowadays. Sleazy? It's media and politics. It doesn't get any sleazier.
Only Trump can make us better than everybody else at the cyber.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I bet it was a 400-pound man in his parents' basement!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Don't count out his son. Apparently he is really good with computers and he is only 10!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/us/po ... taxes.html

I think this is slimy of the NY Times. Their political reporters are clearly partisan toward Democrats over the years, and they seem gleeful in their eagerness to release these anonymously distributed Trump tax returns. While the information in the leak is somewhat damning toward Trump, this feels like a 4th Amendment "illegal search and seizure" violation to me, a big violation of his personal privacy. I do think it would be good for him to release his tax returns, but forcefully doing so against his will via a leak like this is not cool to me. Disappointed that a major media outlet like NYT would release this. Can you imagine if somebody hacked and leaked all of Hillary's, say, lifetime health/medical information to try to dig up dirt about her health? Is there any doubt that NYT would treat that kind of information differently since it was about their preferred candidate?
I think it is our right to know that kind of information, and I'm glad the truth is out.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/us/po ... taxes.html

I think it is our right to know that kind of information, and I'm glad the truth is out.
And I would add that it isn't like they got this info and published it the next day. They used an outside party to help corroborate it, spent about 10 days, and contacted Trump and the campaign for feedback in advance of publishing it. All the while not knowing if the anonymous source sent the same copy to several newspapers. And lastly, like OG said, the laws backup the publishing of information like this when it is not illegally obtained and it is in the interest of the public. Tons of precedence for this.

I would say the same thing if they found a medical record for Clinton that shows she has a history of seizures or advanced heart disease, etc.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trumps campaign manager- "But the fact is, this man has paid hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes over decades."

Then show us his taxes.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:Trumps campaign manager- "But the fact is, this man has paid hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes over decades."

Then show us his taxes.
Right. Prove it.
"Be Legendary."