Election Day 2016 Megathread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
AmareIsGod

Re: Election Day 2016 Megathread

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:THE NEXT STAGE OF TRUMP’S AFRICAN-AMERICAN OUTREACH

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... b836051389
Why all the CAPS you crazy asshole?

Just share an article and provide your thoughts and insights. This LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS BULLSHIT isn't persuading me in the least to start favoring or valuing any of your opinions.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:Looks like we get closer and closer to a class-based civil war each day.
What does "class-based civil war" mean?
A civil war with battle lines drawn across class lines. I am not saying that I expect folks to take up arms in the next 4 years, but it does feel more and more like it is getting pretty bad in this country if you are not already well-off.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:Looks like we get closer and closer to a class-based civil war each day.
A civil war with battle lines drawn across class lines. I am not saying that I expect folks to take up arms in the next 4 years, but it does feel more and more like it is getting pretty bad in this country if you are not already well-off.
What is a civil war without people taking up arms? A lot of yelling?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
Have you ever yelled without using your arms? It's unnatural. You're probably going to end up stomping your legs a bunch.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
Would it be better if I used quotes around war?

SDC

Post by SDC »

AmareIsGod wrote:

Why all the CAPS you crazy a******?

Just share an article and provide your thoughts and insights. This LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS BULLSHIT isn't persuading me in the least to start favoring or valuing any of your opinions.
oh, i just copied and pasted the title.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:

I don't think SDC meant anything by the all-caps. It's just an article title. We should be careful to be patient and kind to each other in this area, even if we strongly disagree. I don't think SDC did anything to warrant such an emotional response.

SDC, I often disagree with you, but you are more than welcome to post and share articles like this one. I appreciate your contributions and opinions here.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Florida man faked a pro-Trump KKK hate crime, set his ex's car on fire, and then staged his own kidnapping in ransom note covered with his blood

Vincent Palmer III, 27, set his ex-girlfriend Stacie Winn’s car on fire over the weekend after throwing a brick through the window

He also left a note for her and their four children, who are all under the age of five, which had the words ‘KKK’ and ‘Trump’ written on it

‘I HAVE WATHED [ sic ] YOU FOR A LONG TIME YOU AND YOUR N***** KIDS DON’T Belong,’ read the note left at her Ormond Beach, Florida home

Palmer then fled but returned when Winn called him to reveal what happened, at which point he was arrested on a warrant for failure to pay child support

He was released on Sunday at which point he faked how own kidnapping, again implying it was the work of the KKK

Police located him by pinging his telephone and tracing it to a nearby Burger King, at which point he confessed to setting the fire and leaving the note
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... r-KKK.html

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Just share an article and provide your thoughts and insights. This LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS BULLSHIT isn't persuading me in the least to start favoring or valuing any of your opinions.[/quote

I don't think SDC meant anything by the all-caps. It's just an article title. We should be careful to be patient and kind to each other in this area, even if we strongly disagree. I don't think SDC did anything to warrant such an emotional response.

SDC, I often disagree with you, but you are more than welcome to post and share articles like this one. I appreciate your contributions and opinions here.
I think the formatting threw me off, as if he was shouting an opinion followed by a link. Apologies to SDC and anyone else.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

SDC

Post by SDC »

Headline From Drudge:

BLACK MAN ARRESTED FOR 'VOTE TRUMP' BLACK CHURCH ARSON...
http://wreg.com/2016/12/21/mississippi- ... ote-trump/

MEMBER OF CONGREGATION...
http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/21/black ... the-walls/

SDC

Post by SDC »

so true

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This whole Russian hacking thing has been embarrassing. It's a little embarrassing that the entire DNC was hacked and all their dirty little secrets were posted for all to see. It's embarrassing that Trump egged Russia to do it even more. It's strange that the GOP was left unscathed. It's very embarrasing that our entire intelligence community has come out proclaiming it was Russia was behind the attacks and yet Trump dismisses the assessment cmpletely. He is taunting our intelligence community taking Assange's and Putin's word over our theirs. Thats practically treason and yet his followers are 100% behind him on it. That's almost unbelievable that Republicans have become Russian fans and hate their own government now.

The story isn't as much Russia hacking us as it is our leader turning on his own country. Everybody knows Russia and the US are constantly spying and hacking each other. Thats isn't news. The news is that our new President is more loyal to Russia than his own country.

Deep down I think that Trump isn't doing this because he is such a fan of Russia. Deep down I think Trump is doing this because his ego cannot allow his election to be tarnished by people saying Russia had a hand in getting him elected just like his ego cannot allow his election to be tarnished by Hillary winning the popular vote, therfore she only won because millions of illegal aliens voted for her.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I agree with you Nodack that it's embarrassing and concerning. Trump doesn't listen to our own intelligence agencies and repeatedly praises Putin add being smart and strong. And now a lot of Republicans are repeating the party talking point that the Dems *deserved* to get hacked and that it's their fault having bad info security. This is bad stuff.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Why is Obama delaying the security breifing about the Russians hack?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:Why is Obama delaying the security breifing about the Russians hack?
He isn't. Just because Trump tweets something doesn't make it so.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:Why is Obama delaying the security breifing about the Russians hack?
Haha, thanks for that.

So it was determined that Russia did try to affect the election. Why would we be surprised, since the US tries to affect nearly every election or appointment around the world to put in a person of power that is favorable to US interests? What was found that actually had an effect on the election results?

I'm curious, after the first debate, Hillary was lauded for how Presidential she was and how well she answered the questions and won the debate handily. We then find out that the whole US was hoodwinked into believing this and Hillary was actually being fed the questions prior. So did the MSM try to hack and affect the US election?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
Haha, thanks for that.

So it was determined that Russia did try to affect the election. Why would we be surprised, since the US tries to affect nearly every election or appointment around the world to put in a person of power that is favorable to US interests? What was found that actually had an effect on the election results?

I'm curious, after the first debate, Hillary was lauded for how Presidential she was and how well she answered the questions and won the debate handily. We then find out that the whole US was hoodwinked into believing this and Hillary was actually being fed the questions prior. So did the MSM try to hack and affect the US election?
Agreed here. We do that all the time. I don't think there is anything surprising about Russia trying to influence our elections. I think the surprising thing here is that the president-elect does not believe this (or is lying to everyone about it). And a president that openly devalues our intelligence agencies is a liability. Even if they are wrong (and they have been wrong many times in the past), opening stating they are lying to the American people about this is one of the worst things an incoming president can do.

To your second question--Is it hacking to leak questions? I don't think so, but it certainly is a problem. But to me it doesn't matter that Russia leaked info, or that someone else leaked questions. The biggest issue that affected the outcome of the election, was the FBI letter. And that letter was complete BS. Based on the stats, that only needed to shift .5% in a few states to affect the outcome and explain the difference in the polls from 1 week before the election to the night of. And the FBI director is a friend and former employee of Rudy.

All of that said, the American people got who they deserve/wanted, even if 63 million people said they didn't want him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, that FBI letter definitely affected how Hillary was thought of by a lot of people, or in the very least opened up a dialogue to find out what it was all about. I think there was more to it though. I'm curious what's going on in the Weiner case that the NYPD was looking into.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Time Magazine
Chinese Media Has Told Rex Tillerson to ‘Prepare for a Military Clash’
The U.S. Secretary of State nominee has provoked fury with his hawkish remarks on the South China Sea

China’s state media has responded forcefully to suggestions by U.S. Secretary of State nominee Rex Tillerson that China should be barred from the artificial islands it has built in the South China Sea, warning that any such attempt would force a “devastating confrontation” and both sides should “prepare for a military clash.

On Wednesday, Tillerson told members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that Beijing’s ongoing island-building strategy in the busy waterway — through which $5 trillion of trade passes annually — was illegal and “akin to Russia’s taking of Crimea.”
“We’re going to have to send China a clear signal that, first, the island-building stops,” the former ExxonMobil CEO told the hearing. “And second, your access to those islands also is not going to be allowed.”

“Tillerson’s statements regarding the islands in the South China Sea are far from professional,” the Chinese Communist Party–linked Global Times declared in an editorial on Friday. “If Trump’s diplomatic team shapes future Sino-U.S. ties as it is doing now, the two sides had better prepare for a military clash.””

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Hopefully just saber rattling on both sides.