Sporting News: ‘Charles Barkley (Apparently) Doesn’t Care About Black People’

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
SDC

Sporting News: ‘Charles Barkley (Apparently) Doesn’t Care About Black People’

Post by SDC »

Former NBA star Charles Barkley recently began filming his new six-part TNT mini-series The Race Card, which explores “race, class, and cultural differences” in America.

According to Nick Birdsong, who wrote about The Race Card in Sporting News, the show’s biggest cultural difference might not be between black people and white people, but instead between black people and Charles Barkley.

On Wednesday, Birdsong ripped Barkley as “ill-informed,” “insensitive,” and a speaker of “repulsive” rhetoric. Those adjectives, and others, came from a Tuesday filming of The Race Card in Baltimore where things apparently became testy between Barkley, his guests, and his audience.

According to The Undefeated, ESPN’s race and culture site, Barkley brought up the issue of police deaths and challenged the crowd to show as much anger about violence against the police as they do for violence from the police. Citing the recent murder of a San Antonio detective murdered while writing a traffic ticket, Barkley asked the audience, “Did anybody say, ‘Man, I feel bad for their family’? There was no love [for police] in this room.”

Diane Butler, the mother of Tyrone West, a Baltimore man who died in police custody in 2013 angrily rebuked Barkley for urging the crowd to have sympathy with the police and the hard decisions they have to make in the field. Butler said to Barkley, ”I don’t know you, I don’t like you.”

Barkley responded, “I’m sorry for your loss. As far as you not liking me, it really doesn’t bother me. I’m used to it. I’m like the homecoming queen. All the ugly girls hate you. That’s part of my life. I never take anything personally.”

This did not sit well with Nick Birdsong of Sporting News. He wrote, “Comments like that are exactly why it’s becoming increasingly evident Barkley isn’t fit to host a show centered around the race. He’s just as, if not more, incendiary than anyone on either side of a polarizing issue as police brutality.

“Regardless of what he was responding to with his reply, his remarks reek of immaturity. That’s a fine retort to someone who disagrees with your opinion that a jump-shooting team such as the Warriors can win multiple championships, but to use that analogy directly to a woman whose child lost his life, regardless of whether you think it was just or unjust, is the epitome of imbecility.”

Barkley then went on to say that, to him, true discrimination in America is not about race at all: “America discriminates against poor people, whether you’re white, black, Hispanic, whatever. Poor people are dealt a crappy hand.”

The idea that class, and not race, divide America further provoked Birdsong to further disillusionment: “Even more bewildering is the fact Barkley, a 53-year-old black man from small town outside Birmingham, really thinks the disparities in America, in particular police brutality, are about class, not race.

“Barkley is far removed his days growing up in a single-parent household in Leeds, Ala. He has been rich far longer than he has been poor; perhaps more importantly, he has been famous far longer than he has been an unknown. His privilege has made it next to impossible for him to identify with black and brown people whom a cop won’t recognize from television.”

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2016/11 ... ck-people/

carey

Re: Sporting News: ‘Charles Barkley (Apparently) Doesn’t Care About Black People’

Post by carey »

Don't like articles from fucking Breitbart.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Re: Sporting News: ‘Charles Barkley (Apparently) Doesn’t Care About Black People’

Post by Mori Chu »

Breitbart is not news. I will never click a link to that site.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Breitbart is not news. I will never click a link to that site.
what's wrong with breitbart?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

SDC wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Breitbart is not news. I will never click a link to that site.
Lol

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Actually Breitbart is all right.

Er, I mean, alt right.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Breitbart is extremist right wing propaganda, nothing more. The fact that their leader is shaping policy for the US is scary and a new low for the US. I am so ashamed. It's like we just elected Darth Vader as our leader.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I could respect Darth Vader.

This guy is an antagonistic huckster with an extremely bad comb-over.
He's Cartman with too much money ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

SDC wrote:

SDC

Post by SDC »

i read breitbart sometimes and they never come off as racist or anti semitic. so wtf are you talking about?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:i read breitbart sometimes and they never come off as racist or anti semitic. so wtf are you talking about?
We're talking about what everybody knows but you.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

SDC is like a host in Westworld.
*reads racist Breibart*
"Doesn't look like anything to me"

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Charles is 100% on in his diagnosis of it being a class issue and not a race issue. He is one of the few to see through the propaganda and call it how it is. People do not like hearing reality, especially when it comes with a dose of personal responsibility and self reflection. There wasn't a damn thing racist in what he said. Stop the spin.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Phoenix219 wrote:Charles is 100% on in his diagnosis of it being a class issue and not a race issue. He is one of the few to see through the propaganda and call it how it is. People do not like hearing reality, especially when it comes with a dose of personal responsibility and self reflection. There wasn't a damn thing racist in what he said. Stop the spin.
i recall barkley used to be a republican. was planning to run for gov in alabama as an R before 9/11.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:
SDC wrote:i read breitbart sometimes and they never come off as racist or anti semitic. so wtf are you talking about?
We're talking about what everybody knows but you.
sorry, but i dont see any anti semitism in breitbart's site.

http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

We've been told that the site is racist, sexist, islamophobic, anti-Semitic, homophobic, and any other ist or phobic you can think of, and therefore anyone that worked for them has to be all of those too. Maybe the same people that have told us this could possibly be feeding us lies or garbage to discredit people that disagree with them? Perhaps they could even be in charge of editing tape to make it seem exactly like they said things that would make them seem to be these things too. That seems to be the best way to win an argument or discussion nowadays, just call them names and drop the mic. Just be the first one to do it, and do it louder and more often than your opponent. That's what it feels like and it seems like it's getting worse.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There is plenty of evidence of Breitbart being no good. Feel free to Google it. It's not a reputable or respectable site.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I've never read Breitbart.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Bannon in his own words.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/15/us/po ... .html?_r=0
I’m a Leninist,” Mr. Bannon was quoted as saying by a writer for The Daily Beast who met him at a party in 2014. He later said he did not recall the conversation. “Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal, too,” the site quoted him as saying. “I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment

• “We don’t believe there is a functional conservative party in this country, and we certainly don’t think the Republican Party is that,” he told the same gathering. “It’s going to be an insurgent, center-right populist movement that is virulently anti-establishment, and it’s going to continue to hammer this city, both the progressive left and the institutional Republican Party.”
.”

Breitbart’s Greatest Hit (Pieces): Some Of The Website’s Most Disgusting Headlines
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bre ... adb56f1bdb

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.2755173

SDC

Post by SDC »

Nodack wrote:Bannon in his own words.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/15/us/po ... .html?_r=0
I’m a Leninist,” Mr. Bannon was quoted as saying by a writer for The Daily Beast who met him at a party in 2014. He later said he did not recall the conversation. “Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal, too,” the site quoted him as saying. “I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment

• “We don’t believe there is a functional conservative party in this country, and we certainly don’t think the Republican Party is that,” he told the same gathering. “It’s going to be an insurgent, center-right populist movement that is virulently anti-establishment, and it’s going to continue to hammer this city, both the progressive left and the institutional Republican Party.”
.”
he's referring to the republican establishment
Breitbart’s Greatest Hit (Pieces): Some Of The Website’s Most Disgusting Headlines
what headlines did you find offensive? :?