Ohio Attacker was a "scared Muslim"

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
specialsauce

Re: Ohio Attacker was a "scared Muslim"

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:Saudi Arabia is in this region, and many of the fundamentalist schools have come out of there. I think many of the 911 attackers came from there and were also upper class to upper middle-class families that didn't have physical or economic hardships. I'm not aware of the hardships that have occurred in Saudi Arabia. Correct me if I'm wrong about that, I'm certainly not a middle eastern scholar by any means. And, we've had some American suburban white kids that also joined in too, I think. That doesn't seem Regional.
I'll repeat myself. The longstanding history for the US to involve itself in foreign countries be it through sanctions, deployment of troop, etc has destabilized the REGION. Not a particular country, REGION. The region that is very rich in oil. Happens to be a region where Islam is the primary religion. This develops animosity toward the US from the entire REGION as they see the US as a threat.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:Saudi Arabia is in this region, and many of the fundamentalist schools have come out of there. I think many of the 911 attackers came from there and were also upper class to upper middle-class families that didn't have physical or economic hardships. I'm not aware of the hardships that have occurred in Saudi Arabia. Correct me if I'm wrong about that, I'm certainly not a middle eastern scholar by any means. And, we've had some American suburban white kids that also joined in too, I think. That doesn't seem Regional.
I'll repeat myself. The longstanding history for the US to involve itself in foreign countries be it through sanctions, deployment of troop, etc has destabilized the REGION. Not a particular country, REGION. The region that is very rich in oil. Happens to be a region where Islam is the primary religion. This develops animosity toward the US from the entire REGION as they see the US as a threat.
Yes, the region just happens to be an area that is rich in oil. I might be ignorant to this, but I thought we are buying the oil in this area, not stealing it or screwing over the people of this area because of it. Isn't there a certain sect of Islam(not all Muslims of course) that has been the perpetrators of attacks on other Muslims, Christians, and Americans in the area and across the globe?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Yes, the region just happens to be an area that is rich in oil. I might be ignorant to this, but I thought we are buying the oil in this area, not stealing it or screwing over the people of this area because of it. Isn't there a certain sect of Islam(not all Muslims of course) that has been the perpetrators of attacks on other Muslims, Christians, and Americans in the area and across the globe?
No. Those are not religious people, regardless of how they affiliate themselves. Its the same with christianity as the child molesters, KKK, adulterers, etc. AKA NOT actually religion affiliated.

If you really think that the US government has completely honest intentions in the decisions they make across the globe, we might as well stop. You're too voluntarily or subconsciously blinded to have a discussion with. You think we invaded Iraq solely because of a tip that Hussein had WMDs? Get real. Dick Cheney wanted his oil. And we didn't get it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have posted this many times but, this spells it out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4354269.stm
The Bush administration made plans for war and for Iraq's oil before the 9/11 attacks, sparking a policy battle between neo-cons and Big Oil, BBC's Newsnight has revealed.

The industry-favoured plan was pushed aside by a secret plan, drafted just before the invasion in 2003, which called for the sell-off of all of Iraq's oil fields. The new plan was crafted by neo-conservatives intent on using Iraq's oil to destroy the Opec cartel through massive increases in production above Opec quotas.

Mr Aljibury, once Ronald Reagan's "back-channel" to Saddam, claims that plans to sell off Iraq's oil, pushed by the US-installed Governing Council in 2003, helped instigate the insurgency and attacks on US and British occupying forces.

"Insurgents used this, saying, 'Look, you're losing your country, you're losing your resources to a bunch of wealthy billionaires who want to take you over and make your life miserable,'" said Mr Aljibury from his home near San Francisco.

"We saw an increase in the bombing of oil facilities, pipelines, built on the premise that privatisation is coming."

Philip Carroll, the former CEO of Shell Oil USA who took control of Iraq's oil production for the US Government a month after the invasion, stalled the sell-off scheme.

Mr Carroll told us he made it clear to Paul Bremer, the US occupation chief who arrived in Iraq in May 2003, that: "There was to be no privatisation of Iraqi oil resources or facilities while I was involved."

Trump’s illegal, impossible, and ‘beyond goofy’ idea of seizing Iraq’s oil
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... 703bd3db48

Republican presidential nominee Donald J. Trump said on Wednesday that the United States should “take the oil” in Iraq as part of the “spoils of war” and to keep it out of the hands of ISIS. “I’ve always said, shouldn’t be there, but if we’re going to get out, take the oil,” he said.

Trump's plan to seize Iraq's oil: 'It's not stealing, we're reimbursing ourselves'
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... izure-isis

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You answered your question for me with a judgement on my supposed answer that I never gave you? I thought it was for secret ancient technologies uncovered in Iraq and the discovered tomb of Nimrod.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

specialsauce wrote:What exactly is your point here SDC? Just come out and say it.
my point is...

is it islam vs christianity...
http://www.wsj.com/articles/indonesia-s ... 1479270252

or islam vs china
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016 ... ernor-ahok

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
No. Those are not religious people, regardless of how they affiliate themselves. Its the same with christianity as the child molesters, KKK, adulterers, etc. AKA NOT actually religion affiliated.

If you really think that the US government has completely honest intentions in the decisions they make across the globe, we might as well stop. You're too voluntarily or subconsciously blinded to have a discussion with. You think we invaded Iraq solely because of a tip that Hussein had WMDs? Get real. Dick Cheney wanted his oil. And we didn't get it.
I don't really think that the US government has given us their complete honest intentions in the decisions they make across the globe. I think they hide their true intentions all the time, manipulate the truth to fit the story that they want to present. I do not like this at all, and I know that they do this to for their own self interests and not for the protection of their people. I don't want to be lied to, and I don't want someone to manipulate the truth to "protect" me. Let me make my own decisions by giving me the truth. Don't do f'd up stuff, unless you are willing to own it and experience the ramifications for the decisions.

Sauce, please don't answer your own question to me, create a Straw-man argument, knock it down and declare me voluntarily or subconsciously blind. How is that fair discussion? If I'm lying, call me out. I kid sometimes, but I hope I don't outright lie to you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC wrote:
specialsauce wrote:What exactly is your point here SDC? Just come out and say it.
my point is...

is it islam vs christianity...
http://www.wsj.com/articles/indonesia-s ... 1479270252

or islam vs china
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016 ... ernor-ahok
It's neither. You will start to make progress on understanding this issue when you stop thinking of "Islam" as a big unified entity that all thinks and acts in unison. There are over 1.5 billion Muslims in the world, and they cannot be grouped in such a simple way.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

All you Suns fans are the same.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ohio State Knife Attacker Abdul Artan Was Taking a Class About Microaggressions. His group project was due later this week.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/12/01/ohio- ... l-artan-wa

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not sure what the point of the article was. The article, from what appears to be a right wing site since it's freedom this and that all over it seems to imply that the class made him into a radicalized terrorist because of the assignment. First of all I question anything written in it just because of the source. If we just assume it isn't BS then:

According to the syllabus, the point of the microaggressions project is to make students "recognize the role of social diversity" and "demonstrate an appreciation for other points of view and cultures."

I don't see anything too wrong with that at all.

The assignment, worth 15 percent of his grade, required students to find a dozen examples of microaggressions on social media and explain which identity groups were the victims, according to the syllabus.

Sounds like they wanted him to find examples of people getting F'd over by some other group and explain why that group was the victim. It sounds like he did some research on Muslims getting F'ed over.

Abdul Artan—a Pakistani immigrant who reportedly became radicalized after learning about injustices committed against fellow Muslims.

What does that tell us if this is the case? I imagine it means completely different things to different people depending on your point of view. Reason-Freedom Isn't Free supporters probably think it proves that all Muslims are terrorists and he was just another Muslim who was doing what comes naturally from blood thirsty Muslims and their evil Satan God. The school was at fault for turning him into a terrorist from what they taught him in their liberal classrooms.

What does the incident tell me? It tells me we have a problem. It tells me that we have pissed off a lot of Muslims and need to do a better job at letting them know we aren't their enemies. Unfortunately our actions give the opposite impression sometimes.Unfortunately there are those in the US who have decided that Muslims are our enemy and are doing their part to ratchet up tensions along with their counters on the other side in the Muslim world who also want to ratchet up tensions and promote violence. Declaring war on ISIS I agree with. All the anti-Muslim rhetoric from the alt right I see I don't agree with.

Maybe Islam has a problem too. It has a problem with the impression that they are standing around and not promoting peace with the West as much as they should or could. They have their own Trumps who aren't interested in promoting peace.
Last edited by Nodack on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I am not clicking on biased sites like that. "Reason.com" give me a break.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I'm waiting for SDC to throw out an article from "murica.com" or some crap next as a source of information.

edit: that's an actual site. I wonder if SDC has it bookmarked. If not, here you go: http://www.murica.com/
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

SDC

Post by SDC »

SHE MADE IT UP: NYPD Arrests Muslim Girl Who Claimed Attack by Trump Supporters
The police source told The News that police gave Seweid numerous opportunities to recant her story but she kept sticking to it. Finally, on Wednesday, she admitted she made the whole thing up, citing “family problems.”
http://heatst.com/life/she-made-it-up-n ... upporters/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

While there are some unfortunate phony incidents like that, I think we should not ignore the fact that there is much discrimination and violence toward Muslim Americans right now. They deserve better and should be respected and protected.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Unreal: Ohio State Attacker is placed on student list of police shooting victims.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Who cares what one student writes on their sign in magic marker?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Just a heads up, the above post is NSFW. I know there are no warnings or a post description (just a link). In case you have family or co-workers around (or are uncomfortable watching someone get killed), it is the video of the Russian Ambassador to Turkey getting killed.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Dude....