Ohio Attacker was a "scared Muslim"

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
specialsauce

Re: Ohio Attacker was a "scared Muslim"

Post by specialsauce »

Phoenix219 wrote:Sure it does. Thats what tolerance is.... putting up with something that you do not like and do not agree with, like grown adults respecting the fact that others think differently. It, by definition, is what tolerance and diversity is. What you suggest is censorship and thought control.
At what point did I say I'm tolerant of it?

Hate speech is not welcome and I do not respect those who promote or spread hatred directed towards a race, ethnicity, gender, class, etc. Call it what you want. If I'm "intolerant" of this then so be it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My take on it is, I think it's important for liberals to hear what the other side thinks and says. We need to understand them so that we can talk to them, work with them, occasionally persuade them to think about something in a different way. I don't want to be drowned in backward or racist thoughts, but at the same time, I don't want to silence voices I disagree with, either. I also think that individual users can block other users if they don't feel the same way I am describing.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

^ Having said all of that: If you hate all Muslims, you're just wrong, period. And I won't ever change my mind about that.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I agree wth Mori. Half my relatives think that way. I have Fox News, Breitbart, Drudge and Pravda in my news links and read them often to keep informed, even if it's FU propaganda I completely disagree with.

I know we all think different. Everybody's brains are different. Everybody grows up under different circumstances in different locations with different traditions and religions. People are raised by parents who pass down their beleifs to their children. Your peers can influence your beliefs. The media can influence your beliefs. Some people are born with a brain that makes someone have a lot of empathy for others. Some people are born with little to no empathy for others. Sometimes kids are raised in a FU situation that shapes them in bad ways. Some people are trustworthy and some people not so much. Some people turn into Mother Theresa and some turn into Ted Bundy.

Trying to figure out people is sort of a hobby of mine. I see the world as a big melting pot of people that are basically the same. I dream of the day when we can all get along. Some people see the world as a bunch of people that are different then them and a threat they have to protect themselves against. Arabs and Jewish people, Crips and Bloods. Christians, Muslims. Chinese and Japanese. Blacks and Whites. Sunni and Shiite's. The list goes on and on. I myself am guilty of doing the same and consider myself an anti Republican because of the perceived wrongs I have seen over the years. Some of my best friends and family are Republican and I know they all aren't evil people.

So, I try to stay as informed as I can and try to figure how these sane people can think the way they do when from my viewpoint they believe FU things. Most of the time I come to the conclusion that they are being manipulated by propaganda. Does that mean that my viewpoint is tainted by propaganda? Probably. I go with my heart and logic. My heart and logic doesn't believe hating Jews, Blacks, Muslims, Mexicans, etc. isn't logical. It's just wrong. We all want the same things, health, happiness, family, etc. We are all the same.

Ban people here because they are beligerant and disrespectful towards others and refuse to stop? Maybe.
Ban people because you don't agree with their perspective or beliefs? I don't think so. If you don't want to see somebody's posts put them on your blocked list.

Trump- I think he is a rich asshole that has gotten his way his whole life and thinks he knows more than anybody about everything and has no real respect for anybody other than himself. His ego is the most important thing in his life. Based on the things he has said and done I fear for the US. This isn't based around on left propaganda, its based on Trumps own words and deeds. He has been caught lying a vast majority of the time he speaks. He has insulted just about everybody he has come in contact with who didn't kiss his ass and demands he himself be respected. Vainglorious.

SDC

Post by SDC »

specialsauce wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:Sure it does. Thats what tolerance is.... putting up with something that you do not like and do not agree with, like grown adults respecting the fact that others think differently. It, by definition, is what tolerance and diversity is. What you suggest is censorship and thought control.
At what point did I say I'm tolerant of it?

Hate speech is not welcome and I do not respect those who promote or spread hatred directed towards a race, ethnicity, gender, class, etc. Call it what you want. If I'm "intolerant" of this then so be it.
what part of it is hateful?

SDC

Post by SDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:^ Having said all of that: If you hate all Muslims, you're just wrong, period. And I won't ever change my mind about that.
I dont hate ALL muslims.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Cap wrote:SDC is just describing the world the way he sees it. Calling him a bigot and asking for a thread lock or ban is not going to change his views for the better.

I wish I knew what would.
you dont know me, and i dont really know you. we have different life experiences.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:
Cap wrote:SDC is just describing the world the way he sees it. Calling him a bigot and asking for a thread lock or ban is not going to change his views for the better.

you dont know me, and i dont really know you. we have different life experiences.
So the Muslims you are against have shaped your opinions by having a direct impact on your life. That's fair and explains a lot. Had no idea.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

SDC

Post by SDC »

China's approach: No Mosque, No Problem

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyghur/ ... 40127.html

Cap

Post by Cap »

SDC wrote:

Different life experiences, and probably different innate instincts as well.