CIA claims Russia hacked to help Trump win election

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

CIA claims Russia hacked to help Trump win election

Post by Mori Chu »

NYT, WaPo, Reuters, and others all reporting this. CIA says they are confident that Russia hacked into DNC and RNC to help Trump win our election. They apparently got a ton of RNC emails but released none of them because they wanted to help Trump and hurt Hillary. Obama is calling for an official investigation into it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-e ... SKBN13Z05B

Mori Chu

Re: CIA claims Russia hacked to help Trump win election

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump team's official response to the situation. Seriously, ugh. Biggest victories in history??

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Just like Global Warming. Trump and his cronies are going to set us back 40 years in 4.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Economist has a good write-up of the situation:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democrac ... /te/bl/ed/

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump has completely openly undermined faith in any branch of the US Government while praising our long time nemesis at every turn and he is our President. That is beyond F'ed up.

SDC

Post by SDC »

with trump's appointment of this secretary of state, there will be a new reset in russian relations. as they should be.

expansionist china is the real threat. they are just about to finish building another artificial island in scarborough shoal. #wariscoming

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Russia/Putin hates the US.

Reset relations? Hardly

Trump is talking about pulling out of all our financial agreements with other countries. Putin likes that.

Trump is talking about pulling out of NATO and not protecting our allies in case Russia invades. Putin likes that.

Trump is saying our media, FBI, CIA, IRS, Governmnet cannot be trusted but, Russia can be trusted. Putin likes that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

#wariscoming? Is that a good thing? Why is it when Republicans take the Presidency, we immediately get ready for another war?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

War is not a good thing. We shouldn't be looking forward to war with anyone, especially Russia or China.

Why are the CIA and FBI on different sides of this analysis that Russia was behind the hacks?

Didn't Wikileaks say that they didn't get the emails from Russia or did I hear that incorrectly? Somehow I thought that the emails were obtained from someone internal.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:War is not a good thing. We shouldn't be looking forward to war with anyone, especially Russia or China.

Why are the CIA and FBI on different sides of this analysis that Russia was behind the hacks?

Didn't Wikileaks say that they didn't get the emails from Russia or did I hear that incorrectly? Somehow I thought that the emails were obtained from someone internal.
I haven't seen where the FBI has said the cyber attacks haven't come from Russia. The difference I have seen between the CIA and FBI are that the CIA thinks Russia was trying to get Trump elected and the FBI thinks they are just trying to disrupt our Democracy in general.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/us/po ... .html?_r=0
The most serious part of the F.B.I.’s investigation has focused on the computer hacks that the Obama administration now formally blames on Russia. That investigation also involves numerous officials from the intelligence agencies. Investigators, the officials said, have become increasingly confident, based on the evidence they have uncovered, that Russia’s direct goal is not to support the election of Mr. Trump, as many Democrats have asserted, but rather to disrupt the integrity of the political system and undermine America’s standing in the world more broadly.

The hacking, they said, reflected an intensification of spy-versus-spy operations that never entirely abated after the Cold War but that have become more aggressive in recent years as relations with Mr. Putin’s Russia have soured

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/13/politics/ ... -election/
On Friday, former Acting CIA Director Mike Morrell said on a conference call organized by the Clinton campaign that it was "absolutely clear ... WikiLeaks and Guccifer 2 are working with the Russians on this."

Our intelligence community is certain Russia was behind the cyber attacks. Trump is positive the Russians are not behind it. How does he know? He just does. He has bashed our government over and over again including the intelligence community and yet always praises Russia and its leader. That's alarming to me and others.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/tru ... d=44131322
Trump tweeted, “Can you imagine if the election results were the opposite and WE tried to play the Russia/CIA card. It would be called conspiracy theory!”

His Twitter rant followed a statement issued by a U.S. intelligence official this morning denouncing the pushback against the intelligence community’s assessment.

Responding to Trump’s comments over the weekend, an intelligence official told Reuters, “It is concerning that intelligence on Russian actions related to the U.S. election is being dismissed out of hand as false or politically partisan.”

“The inclination to ignore such intelligence and impugn the integrity of U.S. intelligence officials is contrary to all that is sacred to national security professionals who work day and night to protect this country,” the official said.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:War is not a good thing. We shouldn't be looking forward to war with anyone, especially Russia or China.

They don't get the emails directly from Russia. But current intel believes that Russia hands them to middle-men who then hand them to Wikileaks, such that WL doesn't know where the information originally came from.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The US needs to develop better Cyber security, and be able to better counter attack the cyber attacks. I don't want any government, media, or any outside entity to feel like they can manipulate or affect our democracy.

That being said, I have a great deal of skepticism towards our government officials and media because of the crap that came out of Wikileaks. I have a hard time believing any source nowadays. I just want the truth layed out, and I feel like it's now always garbage or some fabricated version with truth sprinkled in to point to someone's biased narrative they are trying to spew. It's "he said, she said" and the truth seems to be somewhere in the middle, where no one seems to be.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have a hard time believing what I read nowdays too. Everything seems to be slanted to fit the viewpoint of the people presenting the information. You have to know your source and assign credability accordingly.

I consider myself center. In reality I am probably slightly left but, I think of myself as a moderate.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Denzel responding to the reports he switched and backed Trump. Denzel keeps it real:

Instead of presenting issues with facts and letting people form their own viewpoints, we've become so lazy that we've allowed news outlets to become brands and tell us what to think and how to feel about the issues. CNN and MSNBC are left leaning. Fox News is right leaning. It's like Coke and Pepsi. Ford and Chevy. One of my favorite movies, Michael Clayton, had a tagline: The Truth Can be Adjusted. Pretty true.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm disappointed at how bad CNN has gotten. I used to think of them as fairly legitimate news, but if you watch them now, they have the same tone and bluster as Fox, only with a Left viewpoint. Can't watch them any more. And MSNBC never even tried to be impartial.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It doesn't bother me that CNN or MSNBC or anyone has partisan views, opinions or stories. Just don't make sh!t up, fabricate stories, claim to be impartial, and then try to shut everyone else up. Is it me or does that seem very State run "Communistic" media tactics?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It bothers me that they have partisan views. News is news. Spinning news is propaganda. I always watched CNN because they were the most unbiased main stream news. Since Trump they have become noticably anti Trump. Even FOX News went after Trump during the election. Places like Breitbart and The Drudge report are over the top propaganda.

I think it hurts our Democracy. Not everybody is as good as I am at seeing propaganda. Lots of people watch their favorite news and think it's not in any way propaganda and just news. Lots of my relatives think FOX News isnt biased at all but, CNN and all the others are liberal propaganda, which they sort of are.

There is so much propaganda, fake news, fraud etc. out there today I get to a point where I don't trust anybody or anything. We never answer our home phone. Its 99.999999% people trying to sell us something or scam us out of our money. If I don't know the number I never answer it. My mother thinks she is this close to winning the Publishers Clearing House millions. She has been this close to winning the millions for decades and is totally convinced any day they are going to knock on her door. They make her beleive she is always one of the finalists.. along with the other 300,000,000 finalists.

People never learn and are gullible. They want to believe. Trump bashed everybody and everything and has convinced a lot of people he can fix everything overnight. We are going to get so tired of winning all the time with him as President that we will beg him to stop winning all the time I believe he said. I see him as a total fraud snake oil salesman who has no idea what he is talking about but, others see a genius. Now he is Presdent and Republicans control the House and Senate as well. There should be no excuses why we don't live in Utopia in a couple of years if he wasn't full of shit.

I am totally convinced I would be a better President than him and I would be a lousy Presdent.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Well, striving for a Utopia will only lead to horrible atrocities, at least that's what history has taught us. I hope that he doesn't think he can create Utopia.

It's funny, everyone thinks that only they can decipher truth from propaganda. We should always be looking at every side and do our best to filter out the bs, which is sure to come often.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think this is completely accurate, but a good primer.