Israel stuff

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
SDC

Re: Ohio Attacker was a "scared Muslim"

Post by SDC »

advice for obama, if you cant make new friends, dont get rid of the old ones. allies may be scarce someday, especially in the mideast.

http://www.vox.com/world/2016/12/23/140 ... bama-trump

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/rabbi ... le/2610369

Mori Chu

Israel stuff

Post by Mori Chu »

Thought I'd make a thread for various posts about stuff going on lately with Israel/Palestinian relations, the recent UN vote about settlements, Obama and Kerry's actions and comments, Trump's responses to them, etc.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC wrote:advice for obama, if you cant make new friends, dont get rid of the old ones. allies may be scarce someday, especially in the mideast.
I think it's possible to be a strong ally to Israel (tens of billions of dollars of military / financial aid sent there during Obama administration, the most ever and the most to any US ally), while still not 100% condoning every single thing Israel does. Israel isn't perfect and should be called to task when they overreach. And I think that's what Obama and Kerry have tried to do.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
SDC wrote:advice for obama, if you cant make new friends, dont get rid of the old ones. allies may be scarce someday, especially in the mideast.
I think it's possible to be a strong ally to Israel (tens of billions of dollars of military / financial aid sent there during Obama administration, the most ever and the most to any US ally), while still not 100% condoning every single thing Israel does. Israel isn't perfect and should be called to task when they overreach. And I think that's what Obama and Kerry have tried to do.
if what obama did is right, why do it during the lame duck session? he's doing it now because he will be leaving soon and wants to create as much obstacles and landmines as possible for the next admin.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... story.html

Nodack

Re: Israel stuff

Post by Nodack »

Name ONE country other than Israel that doesn't support what Obama did.

Did Obama do it to create a land mine for Trump? I don't know. He didn't consult me on it. Maybe he did. Obama has made it pretty clear he doesn't approve of Israels land grabs long before this.

Trump has made it clear he will let Israel do whatever they want along with Russia. He might even pull out of NATO and not care about what anybody rose does militarily. I'm sure China is happy to hear that too.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Nodack wrote:Name ONE country other than Israel that doesn't support what Obama did.
but that has always been the bipartisan US policy for many years, whether it's republican or democrat administration, which is to protect israel from the UN.

why make this move to please the BDS movement only now, when he is on his way out?

in other news...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/745 ... ex-attacks

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Thankfully nobody created obstacles and landmines for Obama when he was in office and taking office. Republicans never put up red tape or objected a thing he did.

He who cast the first stone and all... How quickly we forget SDC unless it fulfills our own agenda. Am I right?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

but that has always been the bipartisan US policy for many years, whether it's republican or democrat administration, which is to protect israel from the UN
For the most part I agree. Sometimes Presidents do abstain from voting on UN resolutions against Israel.

https://sethfrantzman.com/2016/12/24/ab ... tained-on/
Nixon 3
Carter 5
Reagan 7
Bush 1
Clinton 2
Bush II 2
Obama 1
I agree.

As far as that anti-Muslim link goes SDC, those kind of links serve what purpose? Is it to prove that Muslims are rapists? Men from all races, nationalities, religions or whatever have been raping women for eons. That link just shows me that you don't like Muslims. I could post links of various groups of men raping women all day and using that logic only proves that some men are capable of rape.

I have no doubt that people form negative opinions of various groups and lump them all together as one collective. The truth according to Nodack is that all people are basically the same and all that stuff is meaningless. Different groups think alike on issues that effect them as a whole. Muslims believe in the Koran. Christians believe in the Bible. Suns fans generally like the Suns. Russians are sympathetic to Russian causes. Jewish peole are sympathetic to Israel causes.

I am just as guilty as any. I bash the GOP pretty regularly and tend to speak as though all Republicans are the same. Republicans tend to think all Democrats are the same. I think we are all slightly different but, mostly the same. The political divide is so great that the positions don't matter as much as the war. Our side is right and everybody else is wrong and evil.

If Putin was scared of Trump and the GOP was the party that was hacked by Russia or whoever and all their politicians emails were made public and not the Democrats, then it would be the Republicans crying foul. If that caused Trump to lose and all our many intelligence agencies said Russia was behind it then Trump would be crying foul and telling us all what a great job our intelligence agencies have done and that he was robbed of the Presidency. He would demand a recount and probably a do over. "The system's rigged!" He would proclaim that if he was President that Russia would pay the price.

The Democrats would be calling him a sore loser and probably say there is no real proof that Russia was behind it and that even though Trump lost, he would have lost anyway.
but that has always been the bipartisan US policy for many years, whether it's republican or democrat administration, which is to protect israel from the UN
And generally speaking Americans, Democrats and especially Republicans have been distrustful of Russia for a long long time. Now all of the sudden this love affair of Putin and Russia by the Republican party? The only reason is because Trump proclaimed them and their leader a great friend and ally of the US.

Like I said, it's all about winning the war between the two party's and the positions change like the weather and don't really matter. That just proves to me that our political system is FU. It puts the two sides against each other and instead of working together for the greater good of all of us they fight against each other no matter to the detriment of the country and it's making us a weaker country because of it IMO. Now we have all these 100% partisan websites everywhere proclaming their side represent good and the other side represent evil vile people that need to be vanquished at all costs.

It's stupid and shows me that we humans have a long way to go before we stop hating each other for no good reason.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We are at war with Eastasia. We've always been at war with Eastasia.