Sports + Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
colin kaepernick did the most damage to the brand though.
[ [ citation needed ] ]
Just don't hold your breath, Mori.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
[ [ citation needed ] ]
the steep drop in ratings happened this year (not last year, or the year before) and coincided with teh kaepernick issue. lots of longtime old white viewers just quit.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Lots of old time white viewers pissed off about a lot of things.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
SDC wrote:MLS is expanding because THEY THINK soccer is going to get big in the future. for now, it's only popular in blue states and with mostly progressive viewers. if USMNT advances to the final four or win the world cup, the game's popularity will explode.
Supporters in Salt Lake City, Kansas City, Orlando, and Columbus would resist that "only popular in blue states" claim. Throw in the additions of Minneapolis and Atlanta this year as well.
i havent been watching any soccer lately because our cable lost the EPL and la liga. bundesliga is available, but it's different. but here is data

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/08/09/r ... -liberals/

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20 ... -interests
Your USMNT point is very tired. If they managed to go far in the World Cup it would be primarily due to the massive funding and development of soccer infrastructure across the country. The fact of the matter is, soccer is booming in most areas of the country because of the MLS.
at one point, the USA ranked 5th in the world. the rest got better.
The league is rock solid and will only continue to grow as long as the US remains one of the most desired places to live in the world. Just look at how franchise fees have jumped from around $10M to $150-200M in the last decade alone. The league will continue to bring in more investment for the development of facilities, training, and coaches, and that will eventually lead to the USMNT performing better in the World Cup.
call me when the USMNT advances in the world cup final four.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Nodack wrote:Lots of old time white viewers pissed off about a lot of things.
those are not the kinds of loyal viewers you want to piss off if you are the NFL.

SDC

Re: Offtopic: Super Bowl LI

Post by SDC »

in politics as in sports, a 28-3 lead is not enough. greatest comeback victory since nov. 8

SDC

Post by SDC »

here's a fun prediction, san antonio, golden state and cleveland wont be visiting the white house next year.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Indy wrote:
carey wrote:YAAAASSSS. Falcons still don't have a ring. :D
Why do you hate Atlanta?
yeah, you're supposed to hate the patriots and brady and join the resistance.

carey

Post by carey »

SDC wrote:
Indy wrote:
Why do you hate Atlanta?
Yeah, you're supposed to hate the patriots and brady and join the resistance.
Your schtick is tired as fuck.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... -224010821

If the Trump's White House approves the relocation, it would overturn decades of international consensus on Jerusalem.

The message to the Palestinians and Arab world would be clear and provocative, said Nabil Shaath, a senior Palestinian official and former Palestinian foreign minister.

"Moving the embassy is the same as recognising Jerusalem as Israel's united capital. It's a war crime," he told Al Jazeera.

"There's no way we or the Arab world could accept it. It would mean the end of the US as the broker of the peace process. We would fight back and mobilise the rest of the world against the move."

The Israeli army has been advising the government of Benjamin Netanyahu on the possible fallout too, according to a report last week in the Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth. A change of address would be seen as a US green light for Israel to extend its sovereignty over the city and its holy places, including the al-Aqsa mosque, in the view of Israeli military intelligence.

Reactions could include mass protests from the Islamic movements inside Israel; riots in the occupied Palestinian territories and neighbouring states such as Jordan, which is the official guardian of al-Aqsa; and the collapse of Mahmoud Abbas' Palestinian Authority.

The Israeli army believes the move also risks inflaming the wider Muslim world and increasing the threat of terror attacks against Israeli and Jewish sites around the world

SDC

Post by SDC »

Media Research Center: Anti-Trump Media Wanted the Patriots to Lose

http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2017/02/ ... iots-lose/

SDC

Post by SDC »

Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
[ [ citation needed ] ]
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/01 ... v-ratings/

SDC

Post by SDC »

Liberals Explode with Vitriol as #NotMySuperBowlChamps Trends on Social Media
As the New England Patriots took yet another Super Bowl win, liberals from coast to coast exploded with vitriol on social media, furious that a team with tangential links to President Donald Trump came out on top Sunday. Since that final touchdown the hash tag #NotMySuperBowlChamps and other similar tags have been trending.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ial-media/

Indy

Post by Indy »

SDC wrote:
Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
[ [ citation needed ] ]
It is called the POTUS election. Nearly every presidential election year there is a big decline in viewership, at least until the election. Even looking at just this season, the decline was during the first half of the season. Once the election was over, viewership was basically flat from last year. And that doesn't even take into account that they were streaming games on Twitter, and had NBC added this year (so not a great comparison to last year). You should really get your "facts" from more than one source.

Mori Chu

Re: Sports + Politics

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't know why he bothers to post links to Breitbart as support for his arguments. Breitbart is not a credible source of factual news or information. I will never click on a link to their site, nor do I accept them as support for any political point of view or argument.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Interesting take. I've never read Breitbart, so I have no idea. Maybe you could offer SDC a list of acceptable news sources.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:Interesting take. I've never read Breitbart, so I have no idea. Maybe you could offer SDC a list of acceptable news sources.
Here is the Wikipedia article for Breitbart since you have no idea about them (which is alarming or a good way to convince others that you have a "balanced" view):
Breitbart News Network (known commonly as Breitbart News, Breitbart or Breitbart.com) is a far-right[4][5][6][7][8][9] American news, opinion and commentary[10][11] website founded in 2007 by conservative commentator and entrepreneur Andrew Breitbart. It also has a daily radio program on the Sirius XM Patriot channel called Breitbart News Daily.

Breitbart News is headquartered in Los Angeles, with bureaux in Texas, London, and Jerusalem. Co-founder Larry Solov is the owner and CEO, while Joel Pollak is the senior editor-at-large, and Alexander Marlow is managing-editor.[12]

Conceived by Andrew Breitbart during a visit to Israel in summer 2007 as a website "that would be unapologetically pro-freedom and pro-Israel",[13] Breitbart News later aligned with the European populist right and American alt-right under the management of former executive chairman Steven K. Bannon.[14][15] The New York Times describes Breitbart News as an organization with "ideologically driven journalists" that generates controversy "over material that has been called misogynist, xenophobic and racist". Bannon declared the website "the platform for the alt-right" in 2016,[16] but he has denied all allegations of racism and later stated that he rejected the "ethno-nationalist" tendencies of the alt-right movement.[17] The owners of Breitbart News deny their website has any connection to the alt-right or has ever supported racist or white supremacist views.[18] Breitbart News voiced support for Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign,[19] and political scientist Matthew Goodwin described Breitbart News as being "ultra-conservative" in orientation.[20]

Breitbart News has been involved in the ACORN 2009 undercover videos controversy, the firing of Shirley Sherrod, the Anthony Weiner sexting scandals, the "Friends of Hamas" story, the Nancy Pelosi/Miley Cyrus ad campaign, the misidentification of Loretta Lynch, and Michelle Fields' allegations against Corey Lewandowski.[21] Shortly after the election, a number of advertisers such as Kellogg's pulled advertising from the site, to which Breitbart News responded with asking readers to boycott Kellogg's products.[22] Since then, more than 400 organizations have reportedly excluded Breitbart News from future ad buys.[23][24]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitbart_News

Based on the above, it's easy to see why someone would dismiss Breitbart as any sort of fair or non-objectionable source of news.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

SDC

Post by SDC »

Indy wrote:
SDC wrote:
Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
[ [ citation needed ] ]
It is called the POTUS election. Nearly every presidential election year there is a big decline in viewership, at least until the election. Even looking at just this season, the decline was during the first half of the season. Once the election was over, viewership was basically flat from last year. And that doesn't even take into account that they were streaming games on Twitter, and had NBC added this year (so not a great comparison to last year). You should really get your "facts" from more than one source.
there was a huge decline in nfl ratings last year, coinciding with a big increase in baseball ratings in 2016 (compared to previous years.) so your explanation is nonsense.
Last edited by SDC on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:Interesting take. I've never read Breitbart, so I have no idea. Maybe you could offer SDC a list of acceptable news sources.
i could offer you a list of alternative news sources, but what's wrong with breitbart?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

NFL ratings had far less to do with Kaepernick than it did with a mediocre product and an increasing public awareness of the dangers associated with the sport.

Anyone who says they completely stopped watching the NFL because of Kaepernick is just masquerading as an uptight asshole who looks for any reason to put down people unlike themselves. In other words, they're lying.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.