Sports + Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 4472
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by In2ition » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Yeah, I don't see him bringing back the jobs that were lost to automation, but the jobs that would have gone to other countries and the plants there are coming. When companies say that they are not going to build in Mexico and are bring jobs back to the US, does that mean temp jobs?
"Our Suns are DEAD!!!"

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 7647
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by Indy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:45 pm

In2ition wrote:Yeah, I don't see him bringing back the jobs that were lost to automation, but the jobs that would have gone to other countries and the plants there are coming. When companies say that they are not going to build in Mexico and are bring jobs back to the US, does that mean temp jobs?
Usually it means construction jobs to build the plants that include automation.

As a comparison, it costs us about twice a much to invest in automating a plant here in the US instead of just hiring a sub-contractor in Mexico to do the job with manual labor. So, if it is a huge enough tax incentive, it may make sense for us to invest in automation in the US, but it wouldn't save any jobs (except for those companies that specialize in automating things, but a lot of that is software that isn't necessarily done in this country).

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 13439
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by Superbone » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:41 pm

From Carey's Around the League thread:

How bold will the NBA be in Donald Trump’s America? - http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/20/14284 ... ver-brexit

Interesting political stuff here in the NBA. Info on the Spurs and Knicks owners' support of Trump and how the new political climate may effect the NBA.
O_Gardino: "Ntilikina is going to lead the NBA in assists once he gets going[2025]..."

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 3500
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by SDC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:31 am

Sports Talk Host Ryen Russillo Trashes Colleagues for Ruining Programs with Anti-Trump Rants
Ryen Russillo seems to have had enough and isn’t going to take it anymore.

Co-host of ESPN’s “Russillo and Kanell Show,” Ryen Russillo admits that since politics became so pervasive in sports talk, he no longer knows what his job is anymore. He came to his current profession because he loves to talk about sports, but that appears to be an outdated business model.

“Now I feel like if I’m not doing a social awareness show three out of five days a week, I feel like I’m doing it wrong,” Russillo lamented during his show. “I can’t possibly think that’s the play, long-term, for what I’m supposed to do as a sports talk show host for the next 10 years.”
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/02 ... ump-rants/

i feel sorry for russillo. i used to listen to him but i quit espn podcenter after bill simmons left the company.

User avatar
carey
Posts: 10236
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by carey » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:43 am

What a baby. Russillo is not LeBatard. He drives the content and wants a pure sports show. So just do it and stop complaining.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 8937
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:44 am

There really isn't very much political content on ESPN or any other NBA coverage. Literally two people have spoken out (Pop and Kerr). There's not much meat on the bone.

User avatar
carey
Posts: 10236
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by carey » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:There really isn't very much political content on ESPN or any other NBA coverage. Literally two people have spoken out (Pop and Kerr). There's not much meat on the bone.
If you don't listen to LeBatard you should. He was talking about how ESPN sent out a memo to all their radio shows forbidding them to talk politics unless it was framed through sports figures like Kerr, Pop or SVG. Dan said this is a cowardly way to talk about the injustices of current society and I agree.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by specialsauce » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:25 pm

I disagree.

There's a place for politics.

I don't watch sports to talk about the injustices of society. I watch sports as a RELIEF from that. Just like I go to Facebook as a BREAK from the real world. People are annoying about shoving their views down your throat.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 8937
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:38 pm

That's a tough issue and I can see both sides of it. Ultimately I respect ESPN's decision to decide what they think is best for their network and to ask their on-air talent to abide by it. They probably want to avoid driving away half their viewers by having somebody talk strongly for or against the current administration. It's kind of a no-win situation.

User avatar
Nodack
Posts: 1986
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by Nodack » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Politics is forbidden in the basketball threads here. People dont want to go to the NBA section and talk politics. ESPN was probably being smart. ESPN is owned by Walt Disney 80% and the Hearst Corporation 20%. ABC, A&E also theirs. Taking political sides has risks. Alienating half the population isn't a good thing if you want their business. Keep sports sports and politics politics. Vinegar and water.

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 3500
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by SDC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:45 am

carey wrote:What a baby. Russillo is not LeBatard. He drives the content and wants a pure sports show. So just do it and stop complaining.
but rusillo is right. it's why the nfl and espn are losing viewers.

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 3500
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by SDC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:48 am

NBA Coach Gregg Popovich Says Hard Work Won’t Help Blacks Attain American Dream, Too Much Racism
“If you work hard and lace up your shoes, you can have the American dream, that’s a bunch of hogwash,” informed San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich when asked what black history month meant to him.

Speaking to Jabari Young, who covers the Spurs & NBA for the San Antonio Express-News, the five-time NBA champion mused that he is always intrigued when asked if we always have to talk about race. “You’re damned right we do,” he scolds. Popovich claims racism is America’s “national sin” and it is “systemic” when it comes to equality of opportunity.

“If you were born white, you automatically have a monstrous advantage educationally, economically, culturally in this society,” insists Popovich who turned 68 last week. Popovich doesn’t talk about the fact that blacks hold a three to one margin of players over whites in the NBA, totaling 68% of the league according to a 2014 census survey
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/02 ... ch-racism/

funny that it hasnt been picked up by espn news unlike previous political stuff. i'm sure the nba is crying now like doris burke.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 8937
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:17 am

Breitbart is not news.

User avatar
carey
Posts: 10236
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by carey » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:32 am

SDC wrote:
carey wrote:What a baby. Russillo is not LeBatard. He drives the content and wants a pure sports show. So just do it and stop complaining.
but rusillo is right. it's why the nfl and espn are losing viewers.
What? No it isn't. The NFL is losing viewers because it's a shady organization that purposely hid information from it's employees they should have had. Players are retiring earlier than ever. Kids are playing it less all over the country. Also, I'm not sure if you watched football this year but they put out a lousy product. The only good playoff game was the GB / Dallas game.

ESPN is losing viewers because of cord cutting. People no longer want to pay for these big packages on cable where they only watch 2 of 20 channels but have to pay for them all.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 8937
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:38 am

^ Good response. SDC's post was way off, but I didn't have energy to rebut it. You did so excellently.

By the way, I know it's eyeroll-inducing to talk about soccer being on the rise in the USA, but I notice that the MLS keeps slowly growing and expanding. They're adding a team in Atlanta soon, and that might be huge in terms of getting young Black and Southern Americans to watch more soccer. The game needs to reach a wider audience to truly flourish here.

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 3500
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by SDC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Breitbart is not news.
robert reich tells CNN breitbart was behind the berkeley riots

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/02/04/ ... ators.html

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 3500
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by SDC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:18 pm

carey wrote:What? No it isn't. The NFL is losing viewers because it's a shady organization that purposely hid information from it's employees they should have had. Players are retiring earlier than ever. Kids are playing it less all over the country. Also, I'm not sure if you watched football this year but they put out a lousy product. The only good playoff game was the GB / Dallas game.
colin kaepernick did the most damage to the brand though.
ESPN is losing viewers because of cord cutting. People no longer want to pay for these big packages on cable where they only watch 2 of 20 channels but have to pay for them all.
and the only reason to watch tv is sports. many providers use ESPN as an anchor to make subscribers pay for those other channels that they dont need.

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 3500
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by SDC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:26 pm

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:^ Good response. SDC's post was way off, but I didn't have energy to rebut it. You did so excellently.

By the way, I know it's eyeroll-inducing to talk about soccer being on the rise in the USA, but I notice that the MLS keeps slowly growing and expanding. They're adding a team in Atlanta soon, and that might be huge in terms of getting young Black and Southern Americans to watch more soccer. The game needs to reach a wider audience to truly flourish here.
MLS is expanding because THEY THINK soccer is going to get big in the future. for now, it's only popular in blue states and with mostly progressive viewers. if USMNT advances to the final four or win the world cup, the game's popularity will explode.

but for now, the american outlaws are outnumbered 9 to 1 in stadium attendance by the pro mexican crowd whenever the USA hosts a major soccer match with mexico in california.

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:05 am

SDC wrote:MLS is expanding because THEY THINK soccer is going to get big in the future. for now, it's only popular in blue states and with mostly progressive viewers. if USMNT advances to the final four or win the world cup, the game's popularity will explode.
Supporters in Salt Lake City, Kansas City, Orlando, and Columbus would resist that "only popular in blue states" claim. Throw in the additions of Minneapolis and Atlanta this year as well.

Your USMNT point is very tired. If they managed to go far in the World Cup it would be primarily due to the massive funding and development of soccer infrastructure across the country. The fact of the matter is, soccer is booming in most areas of the country because of the MLS.

The league is rock solid and will only continue to grow as long as the US remains one of the most desired places to live in the world. Just look at how franchise fees have jumped from around $10M to $150-200M in the last decade alone. The league will continue to bring in more investment for the development of facilities, training, and coaches, and that will eventually lead to the USMNT performing better in the World Cup.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
Marty [Mori Chu]
Posts: 8937
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: NBA + Politics

Post by Marty [Mori Chu] » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:18 am

colin kaepernick did the most damage to the brand though.
[ [ citation needed ] ]

Post Reply