Trump's Muslim ban

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
ShelC

Re: Trump's Muslim ban

Post by ShelC »

Not a ban:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/826060143825666051

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
[tweet]No it's NOT a Muslim ban, you hysterical morons.
Giuliani: Trump asked me how to do a Muslim ban 'legally'
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... an-legally

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R) said in an interview on Saturday that President Trump had previously asked him about legally implementing a "Muslim ban."

But Giuliani then disputed the notion that the president's sweeping executive order barring refugees and people from seven predominantly Muslim nations amounts to a ban on Muslims.

"I’ll tell you the whole history of it: When he first announced it, he said ‘Muslim ban,'" Giuliani said on Fox News.

"He called me up, he said, ‘Put a commission together, show me the right way to do it legally.’"
Well that was a fail, since he wasn't able to do it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

ShelC wrote:Not a ban:

Trump on banning Muslims.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/826060143825666051

The bad dudes have had decades to rush into our country. And if it is true that bad dudes would try to rush into our country, what better time to catch bad guys. Contrary to what Trump says there is already vetting going on. There is also a no fly list and if your name is on that list you are going to have a real problem getting in.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's also not what you say, but how you say it. Obama and his admin "slowed the process to a crawl", which really limited the number of entries and some said acted as extreme vetting - but no outrage. But this admin wants to be loud, brash and make waves. It's part of their strategy. And then when the left flip out, they point to dishonest media coverage, unfair criticism from Dems and overreaction from liberals. All of that plays to their followers and reinforces their followers' beliefs about the left. They've already started making changes to the "ban", allowing different types of exemptions. Those things should've been done from the start, but is also be part of the strategy. Start with the extreme to appease his followers, then slowly and quietly scale back.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Speaking and acting before thinking has become the hallmark of DJT's legacy.

“We are developing what additional vetting, ‘extreme vetting,’ might look like.”

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/0 ... e-vetting/
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Some things in politics never change.

Obama is elected. The Dems control the House and Senate as well giving them total control. Republicans respond by mucking things up, slowing things down, voting no on everything and basically being as much a pan in the ass as possible. Democrats are outraged that Republicans aren't willing to work with them.

Trump is elected. The Cons control the House and Senate as well giving them total control. Democrats respond by mucking things up, slowing things down, voting no on everything and basically being as much a pan in the ass as possible. Republicans are outraged that Democrats aren't willing to work with them.

I can't believe how biased I have become. I was pissed when the Republicans did it to Obama. Now I find myself pulling for Democrats to resist Trump and the GOP now that they are the minorities.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I read today that 49% of the US thinks this ban is a good thing. JFC.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:I read today that 49% of the US thinks this ban is a good thing. JFC.
Is it a permanent ban? Don't worry, this hysteria will eventually pass and everyone will move onto the next "worse thing in the world"... probably the SCOTUS pick.

BTW, doesn't 8% of the country believe that Elvis is still alive?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wouldn't put it past them to continue extending the ban or say it's indefinite until they "figure out what's going on". Bannon is all about keeping people out. Trump less so.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:I wouldn't put it past them to continue extending the ban or say it's indefinite until they "figure out what's going on". Bannon is all about keeping people out. Trump less so.
And it is clear who is in charge.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:I read today that 49% of the US thinks this ban is a good thing. JFC.
Is it a permanent ban? Don't worry, this hysteria will eventually pass and everyone will move onto the next "worse thing in the world"... probably the SCOTUS pick.

BTW, doesn't 8% of the country believe that Elvis is still alive?
It worries me that people think presidential EOs that are overturned by judges, but are still being enforced, are nothing to worry about. There is a reason we have 3 branches of the government.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Trump doesn't care and the Republicans won't fight him otherwise they'll feel his wrath. Dems are spineless and powerless anyway. You only hope, HOPE, that at some point Ryan, Pence and Preibus grow a pair and fight him when the opportunity presents itself.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's sad that I have to root for Congressional Republicans to save our democracy. I feel a grave sense of impending doom.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:It's sad that I have to root for Congressional Republicans to save our democracy. I feel a grave sense of impending doom.
I actually feel that way about our military. I am hoping that they (especially high ranking generals and Mattis) know what it right and just, and won't cross that line, even if the president orders them to. I never thought I would be saying that I am relying on our military to keep the president in check...

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mattis seems to be a man of integrity. I wonder if/when he bows out or is forced out.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:Mattis seems to be a man of integrity. I wonder if/when he bows out or is forced out.
I know someone that worked with him day in and day out, and they are a fan. That integrity is what will get him kicked out as soon as he crosses paths with bannon.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

What I don't get is that all these people are meeting with Trump and Bannon - celebs, billionaires, industry giants and the like - and none of them have come out and said "these guys are legitimately crazy and a threat to our way of life. They must be stopped". Mark Cuban, a huge Trump hater/Hillary supporter (who's since become a supporter of some initiatives), met with Bannon in NYC and had coffee. What possibly could have been discussed and why won't Cuban comment in any way about it?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A test for Trump. Troops killed and wounded as Russia and Ukraine trade fire breaking the cease fire.

http://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-avdiyivk ... 69587.html

We know Putin will test Trump to see his reaction. Will Trump look the other way or confront Putin?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Trump is going to let Russia do whatever the hell it wants in their region.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Trump is going to let Russia do whatever the hell it wants in their region.
Of course. That's why they elected him.
"Be Legendary."