Trump rolls back Obama-era transgender rights law

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Trump rolls back Obama-era transgender rights law

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it's more about conservative vs liberal or progressive politics. In the cases carey was listing (slavery, segregation, racism, and homophobia), I believe he means that whatever was the more progressive policy at the time has turned out to be the consensus "correct" policy today.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I think it's that "States Rights" is always about hostility toward minorities. There are other kinds of state rights, but the term isn't used for them.

Many in the GOP want to eliminate the right of states to regulate health insurance policies sold with their borders. (Or as they put it, "Unleash competition by allowing policies to be sold across state lines.") You don't hear this crap in the Democratic Party, just the party of "States Rights."

This hypocrisy goes all the way back to the beginning. With all the talk about fighting for States Rights, you'd think the Conferate Constitution would have recognized the right of states to determine for themselves whether to be slave states or free states. Nope. Slavery was constitutionally protected throughout the Confederacy. The right to be a free state was not the kind of States Rights they were fighting for.

"States Rights" is rarely used as a rallying cry for any policies other than those intended to harm vulnerable minorities, because proponents of other agendas don't want their agendas to be associated with that crap.

SDC

Post by SDC »

TRANS WRESTLER WINS IN FIRST ROUND OF GIRLS TOURNAMENT...
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local ... 61654.html

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:TRANS WRESTLER WINS IN FIRST ROUND OF GIRLS TOURNAMENT...
Then have him wrestle boys. It's not his fault that they look at his birth certificate and thus have him wrestle women, simply because he was born a woman. Parents and coaches can't complain and detest about her winning while being on testosterone if he's being forced to wrestle according to his birth certificate. Even he states he'd prefer to wrestle boys. It's ridiculous.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I do think (trans + sports) will be a tricky subject. Not really sure what to do about it. Thus far we get by because not many transgender people want to pursue high-level athletic competition, but we will have to decide what is fair and reasonable when they do. I'm not sure what the best solution is. I don't think we should remove sex/gender from sports; it would be a crushing blow to women's sports if they had to suddenly compete against the men.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

As schools complain about the cost of supporting sports in schools, it's not outrageous to think that gender could be eliminated all together from sports competition. This would lower the participants, numbers of teams, equipment, facilities, transportation, coaches, fees, and restrictions based on Title IX requirements. More money could be put back into performing arts programs.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

Trinity’s transgender boy wins girls state wrestling crown
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local ... 21414.html

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:Trinity’s transgender boy wins girls state wrestling crown
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local ... 21414.html
Again, I have no issue at all with the transgender boy. He wasn't choosing to wrestle women. Blame the University Interscholastic League.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC is horrified by the idea of trans individuals existing, so if he can find any article about them accomplishing something, he has to post it in an effort to shame them.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:SDC is horrified by the idea of trans individuals existing, so if he can find any article about them accomplishing something, he has to post it in an effort to shame them.
Mack Beggs is now 55-0 on the season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Does it confuse anyone else that SDC spends his time searching for trans people succeeding at something so he can shame them?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I'm not confused. At this point it's expected.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm surprised you guys are still reading him/her.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:I'm surprised you guys are still reading him/her.
Only when people quote him on the rest of the board. But in this section, I think it is really important to see what other people are saying, regardless of how different their beliefs are. I would say that the level of importance rises inversely proportional to how much you agree with them.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:I'm surprised you guys are still reading him/her.
Only when people quote him on the rest of the board. But in this section, I think it is really important to see what other people are saying, regardless of how different their beliefs are. I would say that the level of importance rises inversely proportional to how much you agree with them.
I'm amazed people like him exist. And then I talk to my friends about their parents. And my own parents. The parallels are uncanny. I can assure you that SDC is probably in his 50s, possibly 60s. Caucasian. Male. The only thing that differentiates him from that same group of people I'm referring to that I'm well aware of is that they aren't anti-trans and anti-Muslim. At least not as outright as he is (maybe it's something their circle of 50+ year old caucasian people talk about their disdain for regularly).

It's sad that so many people live their lives glued to the news and spewing hatred and angst. And for what? To die with hate and spite someday? I've detached myself from the news and my life has been entirely better for it. I catch up from time to time but it's no longer a regular part of my day. It's only been a couple of months but I can say with certainty that my anxiety and depression about the sad state of affairs around me has subsided.

SDC

Post by SDC »

:lol:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC, it's hard to engage you seriously in this discussion when you post "LOL" emojis laughing at transgender people.