Rachel Maddow gets ahold of Trump's 2005 tax returns

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Rachel Maddow gets ahold of Trump's 2005 tax returns

Post by Mori Chu »

So if you haven't heard this story yet, Rachel Maddow of MSNBC hyped that she had gotten ahold of a leaked copy of Donald Trump's 2005 1040 tax form. She displayed and discussed it on air the other night. In general there were no "bombshell" things in it, so many felt that Maddow's stunt was overhyped and underdelivered.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... tacle.html

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politi ... story.html

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/t ... dow-236066

The White House itself seemed to get wind that these forms were out in the wild and tried to get out ahead of the story by releasing its own statement about the taxes before Maddow went to air.

Here's a Twitter thread arguing that it is still newsworthy. Among the interesting things here are that Trump paid a lot of the tax he did pay because of a rule called AMT, the adjusted minimum tax. And currently the Trump administration is discussing reducing or removing the AMT. Hmm, isn't that convenient.

What do y'all think about this whole brouhaha?

ShelC

Re: Rachel Maddow gets ahold of Trump's 2005 tax returns

Post by ShelC »

I can't stand Maddow and it seemed like a bait and switch for tune-ins.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Not much was learned here. It was hyped up as a gotcha, but seemed like on Maddow was got. Still don't believe it shows everything, bit I honestly don't care about his taxes. I just care about how much I'm paying.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r wrote:Donald Trump married Melania Knaus in 2005. She had been a permanent resident since 2001. She became a US citizen in 2006. Part of the US naturalization checklist the last 5 years tax returns OR the last 3 years tax returns if married to a US citizen, which would be in Melania's case:

2003 single filing...
2004 single filing...
2005 joint filing with DJT

Melania's citizenship depended on a squeaky clean join tax filing in 2005. This is why Trump, yesterday, leaked his own (partial) 2005 1040 form. It was the only year he was forced to play by the rules.

This was a clear attempt to game the US public and media, distract from all the other shit that's going on, and make himself look as awesome as possible to his base.

If this was a 'leak' by a 'concerned 3rd party' there's no way it would be so beneficial to Trump.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And just two pages.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:Not much was learned here. It was hyped up as a gotcha, but seemed like on Maddow was got. Still don't believe it shows everything, bit I honestly don't care about his taxes. I just care about how much I'm paying.
It isn't about how he games the system and doesn't pay for things like the military. It is about where his financial obligations are.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:And just two pages.
That were stamped "Client Copy"

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The most interesting thing I gleaned from the 2005 Trump tax returns is that he pays most of his tax due to the Alternate Minimum Tax (AMT), a tax rule that Trump currently wants to get rid of. This would eliminate much of his tax burden and allow him to pay almost zero tax for all of his businesses.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I guarantee you when Trump's 4 years are up (if he makes it that long), the laws are going to be more favorable to him and his businesses than they were before his reign (of terror).
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

That makes him smart. :-/

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:That makes him smart. :-/
Yeah, that should be the agenda for all POTUSes. "Don't ask what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you." Right?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wasn't that how the Kennedys made and kept their family fortune(along with bootlegging)? I thought I heard that the family doesn't pay income tax, as a family member wrote into law a provision that only applied to their family, releasing them from such a burden.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I haven't heard of that. Can you link the article?