Supreme Court, Gorsuch, Garland

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Supreme Court, Gorsuch, Garland

Post by Mori Chu »

I can hardly put into words how frustrated/mad I am about Neil Gorsuch and the fact that he is probably going to be on the Supreme Court. That seat rightfully belongs to Merrick Garland. It's nuts that the GOP was able to block Obama from rightfully nominating a Justice for a full year and then hand the nomination over to the next President.

3rdside

Re: Supreme Court, Gorsuch, Garland

Post by 3rdside »

I've paid scant attention to US politics over the years but the healthcare bill and now Gorsuch have me watching like car crash television - how in the actual fuck does that right wing sicko deserve that seat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Republicans gambled and it paid off. I think Gorsuch is more than qualified and about as middle of the road as you're going to get from the Republicans. They could've gone with a true right wing judge from the onset. I don't think the Dems should filibuster and force the Republicans to change the rules. I know a lot on the left want to do block him because that's what the Rs did and they'll look weak if they don't put up a fight, but you gotta pick your battles. This isn't the one to fight. And maybe, just maybe, try and cut a deal in some form or fashion. Approve Gorsuch to get something on healthcare or tax reform.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I tend to agree with Shel on this issue. 538 weighed in on Gorsuch and found him to be fairly liberal for a Republican nominee.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/fo ... migration/

I do think this kind of filibuster should be illegal. We have laws that ensure that we always have people in office in other branches of the government, and I think we should have a similar situation that prevents the White House and Congress from "agreeing to disagree" and just not putting people into the judicial branch. But the Reps did something allowed under the law, and Dems should be glad the nomination is Gorsuch and not someone extremely right-wing.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Gorsuch Doesn't sound too bad considering who they could have gotten.

The whole think stunk leading up to this point. Obama was President when the spot opened up and he nominated his guy. Republicans refused to even consider voting on Obama's pick and sat on it for an entire year hoping to get a Republican President in office. Their gamble worked. Democrats returned the favor and filibustered and Republicans went nuclear and changed the rules to get their guy in anyway.

Chalk up a win for Republicans.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

There are conspiracy theories that Scalia was murdered, and maybe many Reps believe that is the case, idk. Oh well, when you make the bed..
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They say the CIA hired a hooker for $2000 a night and the hooker killed him with CIA heart attack inducing drugs under orders from the White House.

Sounds totally plausable.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:There are conspiracy theories that Scalia was murdered, and maybe many Reps believe that is the case, idk. Oh well, when you make the bed..
People don't really believe that, do they? That is like saying people believe the stuff that Alex Jones says.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:There are conspiracy theories that Scalia was murdered, and maybe many Reps believe that is the case, idk. Oh well, when you make the bed..
People don't really believe that, do they? That is like saying people believe the stuff that Alex Jones says.
8% of the population still believes that Elvis is alive. You'll find all kinds.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
8% of the population still believes that Elvis is alive. You'll find all kinds.
There is no way 8% is the number, even if you just mean Americans. That would mean you couldn't even fit everyone in the greater NYC area.

Regardless, you said many reps may believe that. I just can't fathom people that buy that.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Here's a PPP poll from May. http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main ... -lead.html
Among voters with a favorable opinion of Trump:

-65% think President Obama is a Muslim, only 13% think he's a Christian.
-59% think President Obama was not born in the United States, only 23% think that he was.

-27% think vaccines cause autism, 45% don't think they do, another 29% are not sure.

-24% think Antonin Scalia was murdered, just 42% think he died naturally, another 34% are unsure.

-7% think Ted Cruz's father was involved in the assassination of JFK, 55% think he was not involved, another 38% are unsure.

And closing the loop on the greatest conspiracy theory of this election- a rare one that Trump didn't embrace- 5% of voters nationally think Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer, 18% are unsure, and 77% find Cruz not guilty of the charge of being a serial killer in diapers. So at least he has that going for him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

wow. i mean, at least this is filtered by people that had a favorable opinion of Trump last may. That rules out 50% of the GOP in Congress and the Senate.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's frightening how many people believe these ludicrous conspiracy theories these days.