United Airlines violently manhandles passenger

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: United Airlines violently manhandles passenger

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:Here you go Nodack.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/25/us/united ... rs-report/
Rodriguez's statement to his watch commander, along with another officer's statement which CNN has seen, was submitted "under duress," according to the report. "I am only giving this statement at this time because I know that I could lose my job if I refuse the direct order given to me," the statement reads.
The four officers named in the report -- Rodriguez, Long, Steve Smith and John T. Moore -- were all placed on leave within 10 days of the incident, documents show.
The Chicago Department of Aviation said at the time that the incident "was not in accordance with our standard operating procedure, and the actions of the aviation security officer are obviously not condoned by the Department," referring to Long.
CNN has attempted to reach representatives for the officers named in the report, but did not receive responses immediately.
I still don't get this part and what it means to the picture. "I am only giving this statement at this time because I know that I could lose my job if I refuse the direct order given to me," Does that mean they weren't ready to make a statement at that time? Does that mean they made up everything and none of their story is true? In the article the only thing I see some discrepancies about is how belligerent Dao was leading up to the removal. Was he calm or screaming? None of that matters to me. He can be calm as he wants but, there is no discrepancy that he boarded the plane and was asked to leave several times by employees and the Police. They didn't punch him, shoot him or taze him that I see evidence of. They grabbed him and tried to lift him out. They said Dao fell forward and hit his mouth on the opposite seat's armrest when the cop lost his grip. Maybe the cop did it on purpose. Maybe he was just weak. Maybe the cop was telling the truth and Dao was flailing his arms and that caused the cop to lose his grip. Maybe Dao will say they punched him in the face. I haven't heard that said anywhere yet but, I wouldn't rule it out.

They giving the statement under duress part is very vague as to what it means. I don't think you can read too much into it. If you have them saying later that they hate Asians and decided to beat this guy up for fun I will change my opinion on how the police handled the situation. Right now I see no evidence that the police acted out of malice.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/27/news/co ... ended_pool

CEO Gary Kelly announced Thursday that Southwest (LUV) will no longer overbook its flights, ending a practice that sometimes leaves paying passengers without a seat.

It's standard practice for airlines to sell more tickets than there are seats in anticipation of no-show fliers.
When a flight is overbooked, federal rules require that airlines first check to see whether anyone will give up his or her seat voluntarily. Airlines control how much they offer to pay, though they usually shell out a travel voucher toward a future flight or a gift card.

If no one volunteers, airlines can boot passengers from flights against their will. Federal rules say those fliers have the right to demand payment instead of perks -- but after the United fiasco, it's clear that airlines want to avoid these circumstances altogether.

It's impossible for an airline to guarantee it will never have to bump a passenger. Carriers still have to transport other pilots and crew members to work, and an air marshal could also need a seat. But ending overbooking does make it less likely.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just watched the video Sauce provided. I don't get it. Did he run back in "just kill me, just kill me, ..." after he was dragged out? Was he playing dead as he was dragged out?
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:I just watched the video Sauce provided. I don't get it. Did he run back in "just kill me, just kill me, ..." after he was dragged out? Was he playing dead as he was dragged out?
Somehow he got back onto the plane. At that point looks like he had just lost his mind.