Trump's first 100 days

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Trump's first 100 days

Post by Mori Chu »

Some media sites are talking about Trump's first 100 days as a benchmark. How has he done so far? Etc. Trump did lay out a plan for his first 100, promising lots of various things. He has not made good on most of those promises, other than to get Gorsuch on the Supreme Court. How do you think he has done? Or is the "first 100 days" a dumb arbitrary benchmark?

carey

Re: Trump's first 100 days

Post by carey »

He sucks. All he gives a crap about is lining his own pockets while pandering to a certain group of people so he will be able to continue doing so. All the recent Chinese trademarks he & Ivanka were given after being denied for decades, hiking up the Mar-a-Lago membership fee, the Muslim bans from countries without Trump properties, etc.... the guy is a grifter. Everything he does is for himself. For everything he says (and I do mean everything) you can find a previous quote or tweet of him saying the literal opposite. Plus he is probably the least intelligent President I've seen in my lifetime (I'm 40.) He constantly calls people and places by the wrong names. I'm not convinced he can even read past an elementary level.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

There is one thing I agree with him on and that is our trade deals fucking suck. Americans are getting screwed. I'm by no means a populist but if it continues to be exponentially cheaper to manufacture goods in other countries and import them than to make them stateside our employment rate will continue to decrease. I'm not an economist so I don't necessarily have a great grasp on the minutiae of it all but it seems that there has to be a way to be a globalist and proponent of free trade that doesn't significantly boost one economy while crippling another. That is for smarter men & women than I to figure out.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:There is one thing I agree with him on and that is our trade deals fucking suck. Americans are getting screwed. I'm by no means a populist but if it continues to be exponentially cheaper to manufacture goods in other countries and import them than to make them stateside our employment rate will continue to decrease. I'm not an economist so I don't necessarily have a great grasp on the minutiae of it all but it seems that there has to be a way to be a globalist and proponent of free trade that doesn't significantly boost one economy while crippling another. That is for smarter men & women than I to figure out.
Which types of companies do you invest in? Ones that continue to grow their profits and profit margins, or ones that are shrinking? If you need pay American workers 40k a year to do a job that is now being done by a Mexican worker for 5k a year, are we willing to pay 15-20% more for the product?

Should we be more of a secluded, closed-door society, or one that is more open to the rest of the world?

As you said, it will take smarter people than me to figure out how to fix this problem.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Some media sites are talking about Trump's first 100 days as a benchmark. How has he done so far? Etc. Trump did lay out a plan for his first 100, promising lots of various things. He has not made good on most of those promises, other than to get Gorsuch on the Supreme Court. How do you think he has done? Or is the "first 100 days" a dumb arbitrary benchmark?
It is a stupid, arbitrary benchmark. As long as he isn't impeached, quits, or dies, he will be president for (at least) 1461 days. The first 100 are not that important.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Some media sites are talking about Trump's first 100 days as a benchmark. How has he done so far? Etc. Trump did lay out a plan for his first 100, promising lots of various things. He has not made good on most of those promises, other than to get Gorsuch on the Supreme Court. How do you think he has done? Or is the "first 100 days" a dumb arbitrary benchmark?
It is a stupid, arbitrary benchmark. As long as he isn't impeached, quits, or dies, he will be president for (at least) 1461 days. The first 100 are not that important.
Then why did Trump make a 100 day plan that he absolutely failed?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Well, all presidents develop a 100 plan. Probably because average American voters are short sighted and hear great things in the plans and think they will get done in 100 days.

As to why he didn't achieve what he set out to achieve, that is because he usually doesn't.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Times have changed. People don't go out to stores as much, they shop online. 8000+ brick and morter stores are closing this year. Good or bad? Just part of the change imo. It costs a lot to run a bunch of stores. You can have a website, one warehousewith a few employees in it do the same job along with some robotics for a hell of a lot cheaper. Robotics? They are or have replaced a lot of employees in different sectors. Good or bad? Depends on who you talk to. They are cheaper and more efficient. We won't have to even drive cars soon. Bye bye trucker, taxi jobs.

Humans are being replaced with computers/robots. Why do we do with all the humans? There are still jobs that require humans and the more educated you are generally the better chance you have at landing a decent job but, not everybody can be a lawyer or rocket scientist. There will always be a large section of society that has little or no education that still need to eat. Poor desperate people do desperate things and that can have adverse effects on society.

Trump promised jobs. I don't think he can snap his fingers and make that happen. This is bigger than Trump or politics. This is a time where we have to look at the big picture ans say what do we do as a society to ensure we take care of our people in the future while embracing technological advances.

Don't think Trump has any clue.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:Don't think Trump has any clue.
Unfortunately, I get the impression he doesn't care either. I hope I'm wrong.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think he cares about himself and making himself look good. I don't think he is forward thinking enough to even grasp the concept of the future of the planet.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Gregg Popovich just can't stop talking about Donald Trump
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/15/politics/ ... index.html

Usually things happen in the world and you go to work and you have your family and your friends and you do what you do.To this day, I feel like there's a cloud, a pall over the whole country in a paranoid, surreal sort of way. It's got nothing to do with the Democrats losing the election, it has to do with the way one individual conducts himself, and that's embarrassing. It's dangerous to our institutions and what we all stand for and what we expect the country to be. For this individual, he's in a game show. Everything that happens begins and ends with him, not our people or our country. Every time he talks about those things, it's a ruse. Disingenuous, cynical."

"It's still early and I'm still sick to my stomach. Not basically because the Republicans won or anything, but the disgusting tenor and tone and all the comments that have been xenophobic, homophobic, racist, misogynistic, and I live in that country where half the country ignored all that to elect someone. That's the scariest part of the whole thing to me.....
...I'm a rich white guy, and I'm sick to my stomach thinking about it. I can't imagine being a Muslim right now, or a woman, or an African-American, a Hispanic, a handicapped person, how disenfranchised they might feel. And for anyone in those groups that voted for him, it's just beyond my comprehension how they ignore all that.
And so, my final conclusion is — my big fear is — we are Rome."

Indy

Post by Indy »

...I'm a rich white guy, and I'm sick to my stomach thinking about it. I can't imagine being a Muslim right now, or a woman, or an African-American, a Hispanic, a handicapped person, how disenfranchised they might feel. And for anyone in those groups that voted for him, it's just beyond my comprehension how they ignore all that.
That is what boggles my mind. If you are not a multi-millionaire white guy, why would you support him?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Because he promised the moon and the stars and also promised to never lie to the American people. MAGA.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Dumb people believe dumb shit. Water is wet.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.