AHCA/TrumpCare as repeal/replace of ACA/ObamaCare

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

AHCA/TrumpCare as repeal/replace of ACA/ObamaCare

Post by Mori Chu »

Do we want to talk about this one? AHCA passed the House this week. Still has to go through the Senate, so for those who dislike AHCA there is still some hope that it might not pass there. A lot of my liberal Facebook and Twitter friends are pretty pissed about this and think it will cause millions to lose health insurance or get their rates hiked way up. Thoughts?

ShelC

Re: AHCA/TrumpCare as repeal/replace of ACA/ObamaCare

Post by ShelC »

I don't know much about health care in general and have only read a few things on this but it seems like it's worse, not covering pre-existing conditions and millions losing their coverage - among other things. At least 3 Republicans who approved the deal admitted they hadn't even read it and you can pretty much guarantee Trump hasn't read it, so it feels like they just wanted to move it through to say they did it. Seems 50-50 whether the Senate passes it. There's been a ton of backlash obviously and I think the Dems have done a good job of calling out the Republicans who voted in favor.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Phoenix219: Do you know what AHCA does for people with pre-existing conditions? Honestly asking. Do you know what it says about them?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Do we want to talk about this one? AHCA passed the House this week. Still has to go through the Senate, so for those who dislike AHCA there is still some hope that it might not pass there. A lot of my liberal Facebook and Twitter friends are pretty pissed about this and think it will cause millions to lose health insurance or get their rates hiked way up. Thoughts?
I think Obamacare took us in a direction we needed to go. It didn't make things cheaper, it just covered more people. I have done what I think is a ton of research on this topic over the years. All other industrialized countries on planet earth have Universal Health care (All citizens have health care coverage) already and they have managed to keep costs at about half what we pay while they cover everybody. For a country that considers it self to be #1 in the world in everything, we are ranked 37th behind Costa Rica in health care. Health care prices have been skyrocketing consistently since the 1970's. Obamacare didn't stop that and neither will Trumpcare.

This topic is super partisan. We all want and need health care. We are all Americans. We should ALL be working towards the same goal. We aren't. It's all about winning and losing in the war between the two party's. I get it. Republicans don't want to have to pay for other people's health care. If they have insurance than they already do and have been forever. A poor sick guy cannot be turned away from a hospital. When he can't pay his bill, it's passed down to those who do have insurance. Until they make a law that says hospitals can turn away sick people, insured people will make up the difference. If you drive a car you are forced to have insurance. We all share the costs and and that keeps prices down. Obamacare was designed to have everybody share the costs by having everybody in the pool too. Republicans didn't think we should all be forced to pay for health care coverage if they didn't want it. They actively encouraged people to not sign up hoping to sabatoge the system.

This whole system is flawed, inefficient and shows a complete lack of empathy for our fellow Americans. People from Britain pay for health care through taxes. They don't get hospital bills. They decoded that the health of their nation was a priority to them. In the US the leading cause of bankrupcy is health care bills. In the UK nobody goes bankrupt because they got sick and couldn't pay their hospital bills.

Study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2 ... -coverage/

Getting too long winded. Until American lawmakers sit down and actually come up with a plan that works towards the benefit of Americans and not lobbyists or special interest groups we will always have a FU system. The positive is that Obamacare pushed us down a road a little bit and Republicans are forced to repeal it putting the ball in their court. Will they make good on Trumps promose to cover all Americans with health care for a cheaper price or was that all BS? Of course it was all BS. Like the articles imply, Trump and many lawmakers never read the Bill, something the accused Democrats of 7+ years ago. What ever happens Republicans will own the next generation of American health care. Passing the law now has to go to the next hurdle and that will be harder. The last part of Trump signing it is a given. As long as Obamacare is repealed I don't believe Trump gives a ratts ass what it is in the law. If millions lose their insurance and prices go up that will be something that Democrats will hammer them on. Prices WILL go up no matter what law they pass IMO. I have doubts that they can get their Bill signed into law in the meantime.

There I go getting all partisan myself again.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The only way it is true, is if you consider that it doesn't matter how much it costs. Sure you can get insurance if you have had cancer; you just have to pay 150k/year.

carey

Re: RE: Re: AHCA/TrumpCare as repeal/replace of ACA/ObamaCare

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Phoenix219: Do you know what AHCA does for people with pre-existing conditions? Honestly asking. Do you know what it says about them?
Like your friends Carey & Charles on this board? It fucks us. Hard. Sans lube.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

All that for a tax cut.

Cap

Re: RE: Re: AHCA/TrumpCare as repeal/replace of ACA/ObamaCare

Post by Cap »

I've been trying to figure out this whole preexisting conditions thing, and it's frustrating.

From what I understand, there are protections for patients with preexisting conditions, but states can request waivers from those protections. What I can't find is any clear and credible information on the conditions under which those waivers are likely to be sought and granted, so for all I know those protections could be anywhere from fairly robust to utterly worthless. Commentators tend to assume one extreme or the other depending on which side of the political spectrum they come from. If you can find any credible just-the-facts reporting on this issue, let me know.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If you can find any credible just-the-facts reporting on this issue, let me know.

Good luck with that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This one is still in the news. The bill finally came out from the secret process last Thursday, and they say they'll vote on it later this coming week, with no hearings or amendments on it whatsoever. Pretty disappointed in the process.

Even more disappointed in the substance of the bill. Looks like it'll have huge cuts to Medicaid to pay for tax cuts for rich people. Great.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:This one is still in the news. The bill finally came out from the secret process last Thursday, and they say they'll vote on it later this coming week, with no hearings or amendments on it whatsoever. Pretty disappointed in the process.

Even more disappointed in the substance of the bill. Looks like it'll have huge cuts to Medicaid to pay for tax cuts for rich people. Great.
Did you expect something different?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Indy

Post by Indy »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:This one is still in the news. The bill finally came out from the secret process last Thursday, and they say they'll vote on it later this coming week, with no hearings or amendments on it whatsoever. Pretty disappointed in the process.

Did you expect something different?
Yes. He expected elected representatives to represent those that elected them, not the people paying their bills.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I didn't expect otherwise, but the sheer audacity with which this is being done discomforts me. It feels like a hostile takeover of the government and country. People will die if this passes.

I just hope enough people are calling their reps/senators and protesting. The only way they'll vote "no" on this is if they think it will cost them their jobs.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I didn't expect otherwise, but the sheer audacity with which this is being done discomforts me. It feels like a hostile takeover of the government and country. People will die if this passes.

I just hope enough people are calling their reps/senators and protesting. The only way they'll vote "no" on this is if they think it will cost them their jobs.
And in many cases it won't come close. Constituents are not good at holding their elected representatives accountable to representing their specific needs, but more their "party's values."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So I guess the vote on TrumpCare gets delayed by a week or more. Good news in the short term for opponents of this bill. Unclear what the next step/plan is for McConnell and its proponents. Probably spend the week putting strong pressure on the "no" voters among the GOP.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:So I guess the vote on TrumpCare gets delayed by a week or more. Good news in the short term for opponents of this bill. Unclear what the next step/plan is for McConnell and its proponents. Probably spend the week putting strong pressure on the "no" voters among the GOP.
By strong pressure, you mean give them a few dozen billion for their cause and call it a day. I read that Mitch built the bill to be $188B less than the house bill, so that he can start giving the 2-3 no votes (remember he can lose 2 of them and still win, so even if it is 5 no votes this will work) 20-30B for their pet project (opioid abuse, medicaid for children, etc). That quickly changes them from no to yes.

I would bet that it passes. This is following the exact same path as the House bill. Everyone thought it was dead, the pres came out and basically said so, then they gave the guy in Michigan 20B for his pet project and he changed his tune. Next day they vote and bam,

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, I agree 100% with your post. I think McConnell was very shrewd to hold back some billions from the bill to use as slush money for the holdouts. I think it'll work, especially when paired with the stigma of being an outcast within their own party if they vote no.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Yeah, I agree 100% with your post. I think McConnell was very shrewd to hold back some billions from the bill to use as slush money for the holdouts. I think it'll work, especially when paired with the stigma of being an outcast within their own party if they vote no.
If that's the case, fuck McCain and Flake for not holding out to get us our billions.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Yeah, I agree 100% with your post. I think McConnell was very shrewd to hold back some billions from the bill to use as slush money for the holdouts. I think it'll work, especially when paired with the stigma of being an outcast within their own party if they vote no.
If that's the case, fuck McCain and Flake for not holding out to get us our billions.
Well, it won't go to the state the Senators are in, exactly. It will be designated for the cause that affects their state the most.

But fuck them anyway for only saying they will stand up to the ridiculousness, but then not backing it up. Same with Graham. They all say they don't agree with the President, and that they can't support him on this or that, but then vote right along party lines. Sell outs.