Terror attack in Manchester during concert

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Terror attack in Manchester during concert

Post by Mori Chu »

22 are dead, and 59 injured. I don't know much about the perpetrator, but they say he set off a suicide bomb, killing himself and the others. The youngest reported dead is 8 years old. :-( Such a sad occurrence; these were innocent people.

Of course once details come out about the bomber, we'll get the inevitable glorification of the murderer by plastering his name and face and life's story all over the news. Then it will be a chance to attack whatever race, religion, and nationality he is. Not looking forward to that inevitable part of this.

http://www.politico.eu/article/multiple ... ter-arena/

For what it's worth, President Trump issues a statement saying that the bomber is an "evil loser." That'll show him.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/2 ... ack-238705

Indy

Re: Terror attack in Manchester during concert

Post by Indy »

Random thought: I get that any act of terrorism is intended to terrorize, but specifically targeting young girls/women is incredibly misogynistic, too. I heard that ISIS claimed this act, and it makes me wonder how big of an overlap the Ven diagram between radical islam and gamer gate.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Ummm.... how about, almost none?

You've GOT to be kidding me.

That is one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard on this board.

Someone ban me, please. I don't want to be able to respond to this drivel anymore.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Why so offended?

Cap

Post by Cap »

When you say overlap in the Venn diagram, are you referring to philosophy or to people?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Phoenix219 wrote:Ummm.... how about, almost none?

Someone ban me, please. I don't want to be able to respond to this drivel anymore.
I'm confused. What is offensive or ignorant? I must be missing something here.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This act was such a cowardly, pathetic thing to do. What is wrong with these people?! Targeting innocent young women and girls? Sickening!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:When you say overlap in the Venn diagram, are you referring to philosophy or to people?
Both, to an extent. Primarily the young men growing up in the west that convert/become radicalized. There is often a huge rejection syndrome (even if only self-perceived). Gamer gaters have a very similar pattern. I hadn't thought about it until today when i started thinking about someone intentionally targeting young women/girls specifically.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Learn something new everyday. I can see it.

Didn't know what Gamer gaters or gamergate was until I looked it up.

http://gawker.com/what-is-gamergate-and ... 1642909080

With that being said, how is that even remotely close to something that is offensive to draw parallels to? I really am confused. Are you a big time gamer Phoenix and this comment paints big time gamers in a bad light or something? If so, just wow. That's the most ignorant thing you've heard on this board? Really?!?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Guess I wasn't the only one thinking this... not gamergate specifically, but the extreme misogyny.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... 7bf8eddb70

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't know if GamerGaters have any overlap with radical Muslims. But GamerGaters are deeply sexist idiots and their entire argument has no merit.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Terror attack in Manchester during concert

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't know if GamerGaters have any overlap with radical Muslims. But GamerGaters are deeply sexist idiots and their entire argument has no merit.
Nice one. Have you seen all the idiots freaking out about the female only screening of Wonder Woman by Alamo Drafthouse? So many men complained that Alamo addressed it publicly... by having another women only screening. Lol. Image MRA manbabies are hilarious.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

So barring entry to someone due to their sex, race, color or creed is okay again?

Segregation is back in style?

So Progressive.

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't know if GamerGaters have any overlap with radical Muslims. But GamerGaters are deeply sexist idiots and their entire argument has no merit.
Nice one. Have you seen all the idiots freaking out about the female only screening of Wonder Woman by Alamo Drafthouse? So many men complained that Alamo addressed it publicly... by having another women only screening. Lol. Image MRA manbabies are hilarious.
Wonder Woman was created by and for adolescent-minded males, so I guess that's something else that has been stolen from us. I mean them.

I heard that the female only screening featured an exclusive director's cut that's a zillion times better than what everybody else is going to see in theaters, and after the movie a naked pillow fight.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Republicans have a very fragile ideal of straight cis male masculinity and react aggressively when they perceive it as being under attack.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

carey wrote:
This response was great. Lmao

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Phoenix219 wrote:So barring entry to someone due to their sex, race, color or creed is okay again?

So Progressive.
:lol:

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
carey wrote:
This response was great. Lmao
This is amazing. I love that company. Really bummed our local one closed this April.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:So barring entry to someone due to their sex, race, color or creed is okay again?

So Progressive.
:lol:
cis white males complaining about disenfranchisement...

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I never heard of gamergate. I just read read Amareisgod's link and now I care even less about it.

I have never heard of the Venn Diagram either. Kind of interesting. Do terrorists and male gamers have anything in common? I have no idea and don't care that much.

The Wonder Woman private screening for girls? I don't care.

The attack in London was horrible like they all are. The attack in Portland was horrible like the all are. People killing innocent people to avenge other people killing innocent people. People hating other people for stupid reasons.

Ummm.... how about, almost none?

Someone ban me, please. I don't want to be able to respond to this drivel anymore

And then you respond right away anyway. Nobody is going to ban you for speaking your mind as long as you do it somewhat respectfully.

ISIS targeting little girls at a concert? That just makes them look evil.

Some right winger targeting a young Muslim girl on a train in Portland? That just makes him look evil.

In response to some right winger targeting a young Muslim girl and killing people on a Portland train some Republican politician has decided that maybe he should hire a militia for security.

Portland Republican says he might use militia groups for security
http://thehill.com/homenews/335566-port ... r-security

A top Oregon Republican said Monday he’s considering using militia groups for security purposes after a man directing anti-Muslim rhetoric at two women fatally stabbed two men and injured a third this weekend.

“…. There are these people arising, like the Oath Keepers and the Three Percenters,” he added. “We’re thinking about that. Because there are now belligerent, unstable people who are convinced that Republicans are like Nazis.”

Buchal told the Guardian he did not want to become involved with extremists.

The Guardian said The Three Percenters are described by Political Research Associates as “a paramilitary group that pledges armed resistance against attempts to restrict private gun ownership.”

The Oath Keepers have been dubbed by the Southern Poverty Law Center as “one of the largest radical antigovernment groups in the U.S.”

The mayor of Portland, Ore., called for a "Trump free speech rally" to be canceled after a man directing anti-Muslim rhetoric at two women fatally stabbed two men and injured a third this weekend, according to the Associated Press

This politician talking about hiring militia is doing a great job of ratcheting up the tensions and just like hiring the Hells Angels for security at Woodstock this can only make things worse, not better.

The Mayor of Portland calling for the Trump rally trump be cancelled might be trying to stop more violence but, he will be labelled a Lib trying to stop free speech.

I can't stop stupid people from doing stupid things. I can only talk about it here where is does no good. I think the hostilities between the two party's will continue to escalate. Trump supporters aren't too thrilled with all the anti Trump rhetoric since the election and are ratcheting up tensions. Democrats aren't too thrilled with Trump and his shenanigans and are ratcheting up tensions too. I am hoping that good will triumph over evil but, that isn't always the case is it. We all think we are right and everybody else is stupid.