Kathy Griffin offensive image

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Kathy Griffin offensive image

Post by Mori Chu »

The comedienne posted a photo of herself holding a prop that looked like Donald Trump's severed head covered in blood. Predictably everyone got upset and criticized her for doing this, so she pulled the image and apologized. The WH administration even said that Bannon Trump saw the image and became upset.

A lot of Republicans / conservatives are mad and outraged by all this. There's not much to say about it as far as I can tell. It was stupid and offensive and really poor taste; no defending it. I haven't seen a single liberal defend it. Everyone agrees she was stupid and should not have done it. She does not represent liberals or Democrats.

That's pretty much the end of it as far as I am concerned.

I do want to point out that there have been lots of people who have made offensive images of the President at the time, like Obama or W Bush photos with a Hitler mustache drawn on them, or Obama pics with a noose drawn on them, or whatever. It's always wrong. Nobody should condone this kind of stuff, regardless of party. Dunno what Griffin was thinking here.

Cap

Re: Kathy Griffin offensive image

Post by Cap »

Why does anybody even know who Kathy Griffin is? Every time I see her on TV, I wonder how she got that gig. She's not funny, insightful, or attractive. She likes to be transgressive (as in this case), but not in ways that are particularly interesting. I don't understand why she isn't living under a bridge.

Is this incident enough for CNN to drop her from their annual New Year's celebration? I hope so.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:Why does anybody even know who Kathy Griffin is? Every time I see her on TV, I wonder how she got that gig. She's not funny, insightful, or attractive. She likes to be transgressive (as in this case), but not in ways that are particularly interesting. I don't understand why she isn't living under a bridge.

Is this incident enough for CNN to drop her from their annual New Year's celebration? I hope so.
They already have announced they did. And yeah, I don't get why she is relevant.

carey

Post by carey »

The image was offensive but these same people on the right condemning her never said a word about all the stuff Ted Nugent said about cutting off Obama & Hillary's heads. In fact, Trump had him as an honored guest at the White House. Or what about all the nastiness Obama's daughters had to deal with? They had to watch effigies of their father being lynched & burned all over the news. Again, I'm not condoning what Griffin did but the hypocrisy on the right is always baffling to me.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:Why does anybody even know who Kathy Griffin is? Every time I see her on TV, I wonder how she got that gig. She's not funny, insightful, or attractive. She likes to be transgressive (as in this case), but not in ways that are particularly interesting. I don't understand why she isn't living under a bridge.

They already have announced they did. And yeah, I don't get why she is relevant.
Then I guess I'm glad it happened. I'd have preferred they had simply fired her long ago for being bad television. It shouldn't have taken her decapitating POTUS in effigy to get rid of her. But at least she's gone. Anderson Cooper deserves better, and so do I.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good question. Never thought she was funny. I guess they like her big hair and "outrageous" personality.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That was pretty offensive. As much as I dislke Trump, she went too far.