London Attack

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
ShelC

London Attack

Post by ShelC »

Another week, another attack. This time in London, about 10pm UK time, in the younger, busier section of London where people were out and about. Nothing elaborate about the attack, just some guys ramming a van into a crowd of people and then running around stabbing them. As of now, 7 dead and 48 injured. The assailants were killed by law enforcement. The attack and response by law enforcement took all of 8 minutes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/l ... -1.3218632

12 others have since been arrest around London:
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/london ... rk-n768011

Theresa May says "enough is enough" and wants a crackdown on cyber/online "safe havens" . Her full statement on the attack:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/uk-prime-min ... 54902.html

And not to forget about other attacks, which don't garner much mainstream media attention when they happen in the Middle East:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 102304846/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40142606

Indy

Re: London Attack

Post by Indy »

https://twitter.com/Mangal2/status/871332608726228992

Indy

Post by Indy »

Not only was the response incredibly fast to the incident (thank god they didn't have fire arms or bombs), they also quickly snatched up 12 others? That's fast.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So sad to see attacks like this happen. I don't see the point of them by the perpetrators. What goal is advanced? What statement is made? Other than snuffing out a handful of innocent lives, what is accomplished?

I'm also disappointed by our President's response to the attack. On Twitter he used it as an example to justify his desire for a travel ban, he criticized opponents of gun control, and he jabbed at the mayor of London. Classy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:So sad to see attacks like this happen. I don't see the point of them by the perpetrators. What goal is advanced? What statement is made? Other than snuffing out a handful of innocent lives, what is accomplished?

I'm also disappointed by our President's response to the attack. On Twitter he used it as an example to justify his desire for a travel ban, he criticized opponents of gun control, and he jabbed at the mayor of London. Classy.
The goal would be they think they are doing the right thing by taking out as many infidels as possible. The same thing the catholics thought they were achieving with the crusades or their work in Latin America. And the crazy thing is the people carrying out the murders/attacks in the name of their god really think they are justified. Just like the IRA. Terrorism has a very long history in pretty much every culture. I doubt it goes away any time soon.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think the goal is simply terrorism. Disrupt our way of life and make us fearful and not want to do the things we enjoy doing.

Trump will never change with his tweeting. Hopefully, it'll just get chalked up to "he's an idiot" and we move on. That's what we have for the foreseeable future. He took the Mayor of London's statement out of context in one of his tweets but probably won't admit it. The other tweets were just in poor taste. But again, to be expected.

The UK police were fast to act on the scene which is what you hope for. And rounding up 12 that soon is impressive. But like Manchester, if they can find that many that quickly, where was everyone two days ago?

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:I think the goal is simply terrorism. Disrupt our way of life and make us fearful and not want to do the things we enjoy doing.

Trump will never change with his tweeting. Hopefully, it'll just get chalked up to "he's an idiot" and we move on. That's what we have for the foreseeable future. He took the Mayor of London's statement out of context in one of his tweets but probably won't admit it. The other tweets were just in poor taste. But again, to be expected.

The UK police were fast to act on the scene which is what you hope for. And rounding up 12 that soon is impressive. But like Manchester, if they can find that many that quickly, where was everyone two days ago?
Well, if 1/10 of 1% of your population is working against you, how would you combat it? In England, that would mean you have to watch 50,000 people every single day/night. And that is assuming you know all of the people that harbor ill-will towards your government/populace. And this isn't just 'radicalized muslims' we are talking about. In the US, you have to start adding in the anarchists, white supremacists, and all of the other idiotic groups. It is a truly insurmountable task. If someone really wants to kill someone, they can. Anyone.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I know it's a broad judgement to make and I don't mean to be flip about it. But they should know if/where cells are operating and there are people on their lists. I think May said that 5 plots had been disrupted since March. So this could be the one that slipped thru.
If someone really wants to kill someone, they can. Anyone.
This has always been true. The line wolf attacks aren't something we'll likely ever get rid of. And that could be anything from mental illness, religious/racial ideology, etc. That's a needle in a haystack. But the coordinated attacks organized by cells within our cities...we can, and have been able to, combat that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:I know it's a broad judgement to make and I don't mean to be flip about it. But they should know if/where cells are operating and there are people on their lists. I think May said that 5 plots had been disrupted since March. So this could be the one that slipped thru.
If someone really wants to kill someone, they can. Anyone.
This has always been true. The line wolf attacks aren't something we'll likely ever get rid of. And that could be anything from mental illness, religious/racial ideology, etc. That's a needle in a haystack. But the coordinated attacks organized by cells within our cities...we can, and have been able to, combat that.
These aren't coordinate as much as it seems. It is a few guys getting together and deciding to do something. If it was well planned, well coordinated, and well executed, they could have killed hundreds. This is still a needle in a haystack. Think of all of the methods of communication you would need to monitor to capture all bad thoughts, by all people, that *might* lead to something bad for others. I wouldn't give up the freedoms needed to give a group of people that level of power.

And add up all the people killed by radicalized islamists, and compare that to the number killed every week by drunk drivers (200 in the US). Or domestic violence. Or whatever else. We can't stop everything.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Jihadi suicide bomber vs. Ariana Grande fans. Which side will Jim Bakker take?

[youtube][/youtube]

The Ariana Grande fans were "literally" asking for it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:Jihadi suicide bomber vs. Ariana Grande fans. Which side will Jim Bakker take?

I feel so dirty after watching that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:Jihadi suicide bomber vs. Ariana Grande fans. Which side will Jim Bakker take?

I feel so dirty after watching that.
I love how they advertise the entire time and it takes up half the screen real estate.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

[youtube][/youtube]

How did this video show up? I thought I blocked sdc...?
:twisted:
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And now a guy takes a van and tries to mow down Muslims in London. Too much hate in the world right now.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/18/europe/fi ... index.html

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

From the reports I've seen this was a deliberate attack by a white guy who was screaming "I want to kill all Muslims" when he got out of the van. Some speculated it retaliation for the London attack two ago.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:From the reports I've seen this was a deliberate attack by a white guy who was screaming "I want to kill all Muslims" when he got out of the van. Some speculated it retaliation for the London attack two ago.
Hard to call it retaliation when the people tried to murder didn't commit an attack. Strange how almost nobody is calling him a terrorist... And by strange, I mean racist. Soon we will hear he has mental issues and was a lone wolf.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've seen London officials saying they're treating it as a terrorist act. We'll see how it's labeled here and how it's covered.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:I've seen London officials saying they're treating it as a terrorist act. We'll see how it's labeled here and how it's covered.
I only heard that after their mayor called it that. Read the headlines in the papers there, and it was crazy. One I read said a "van" drove into the people, not even mentioning that a white dude did it. If you contrast that same paper with the attack a week or two ago, it was glaring.