DJT Jr , J.Kushner / Russia meeting scandal

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

DJT Jr , J.Kushner / Russia meeting scandal

Post by Mori Chu »

Pretty big bombshell story coming out of NYT this week. Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner, and Paul Manafort met with Russian government lawyers who promised damaging information about Hillary Clinton. If you wanted a smoking gun for collusion with Russia, this may be it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/kr ... a3cbd2835e

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/u ... inton.html

Indy

Re: DJT Jr , J.Kushner / Russia meeting scandal

Post by Indy »

Does anyone else think nothing will come from any of this? I know it has only been 6 months, but it feels like with the current life or death commitment to party over country (on all sides) that it will just stall again and again until his term is up.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy wrote:Does anyone else think nothing will come from any of this? I know it has only been 6 months, but it feels like with the current life or death commitment to party over country (on all sides) that it will just stall again and again until his term is up.
This x1000000000000. Every week there's a bombshell report and it blows over. I can't even keep track anymore but literally every few days someone says to "No, this is for real this time. This is BIG!" It's been 8 months of Russia, collusion, financials, perjury, Comey hearings, Sessions hearings, meetings with Russians, being in the same room as Russians, being photographed with Russians, etc and still no smoking gun. 8 months of smoke and no fire.

I've been wanting to write about the media for a few weeks going back to another thread but just haven't had the time. But in general, I do hold the media responsible for a lot of this. News stations like CNN and MSNBC created Trump and got him elected, CNN has Lord and Conway on all the time despite their BS and nonsense because of ratings. WaPo and NYT publish false or misleading stories for sales and clicks and then spin in back over to CNN and MSNBC. And even when they have legit info it usually leads to nothing. This only allows Trump to continue his fake news narrative, makes him the victim and reinforces to his base that the MSM is creating this witchhunt against him.

If Congress, the FBI, Mueller want to investigate that's fine. But hammering away every day with stories and suppositions that there was collusion or misdeeds without coming up with hard evidence is just hurting the cause IMO. And I keep going back to Denzel in Training Day: It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nothing matters until certain Republicans turn on him. Until then, they'll endure this stuff in a pathetic attempt to pass legislation.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I never met with any Russians. -Lie #1

You have proof that I did? Oh, wait, I remember now. I was meeting the Russians to discuss poor orphan children. -Lie #2

The NYT has my emails proving that I am lying? OK, maybe I wasn't meeting them to discuss orphans and was there because the Russian governemnt offered me dirt on Hillary but, they didn't want anything in return and I never got anything from them and my dad had no idea that the 3 of us were having this meeting. Honest -Truth this time?

This is Trump juniors emails, not fabricated unsubstantiated sources. This is the Trump team being courted by the Russians and the Trump team eagerly taking the bait. Witch hunt? Why did so many of them lie about their meetings with the Russians if it is nothing? If you have nothing to hide why hide it? Trump brags about meeting Putin, what a great guy Putin is and how great they got along. Then the Russian thing breaks and Trump all of the sudden has never heard of Putin and certainly has never met the guy.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -text.html

On Jun 3, 2016, at 10:36 AM, Rob Goldstone wrote:
Good morning
Emin just called and asked me to contact you with something very interesting.
The Crown prosecutor of Russia met with his father Aras this morning and in their meeting offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father.
This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump - helped along by Aras and Emin.
What do you think is the best way to handle this information and would you be able to speak to Emin about it directly?
I can also send this info to your father via Rhona, but it is ultra sensitive so wanted to send to you first.
Best
Rob Goldstone

On Jun 3, 2016, at 10:53, Donald Trump Jr. wrote:
Thanks Rob I appreciate that. I am on the road at the moment but perhaps I just speak to Emin first. Seems we have some time and if it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer. Could we do a call first thing next week when I am back?
Best,
Don
Sent from my iPhone

Sent: Monday, June 06, 2016 12:40 PM
To: Donald Trump J
Subject: Re: Russia - Clinton - private and confidential
Hi Don
Let me know when you are free to talk with Emin by phone about this Hillary info - you had mentioned early this week so wanted to try to schedule a time and day Best to you and family Rob Goldstone
This iphone speaks many languages

On Jun 6, 2016, at 15:03, Donald Trump Jr. wrote:
Rob could we speak now?
d
Donald J. Trump Jr.
Executive Vice President of Development and Acquisitions The Trump Organization
725 Fifth Avenue | New York, NY | 10022 | trump.com

Sent: Monday, June 06, 2016 3:37 PM
To: Donald Trump Jr.
Let me track him down in Moscow
What number he could call?

On Jun 6, 2016, at 15:38, Donald Trump Jr. wrote:
My cell [REDACTED] thanks
d
Donald J. Trump Jr.
Executive Vice President of Development and Acquisitions The Trump Organization
725 Fifth Avenue | New York, NY 10022 | trump.com

On Jun 6, 2016, at 3:43 PM, Rob Goldstone wrote:
Ok he's on stage in Moscow but should be off within 20 Minutes so I am sure can call Rob

On Jun 6, 2016, at 16:38, Donald Trump Jr. wrote:
Rob thanks for the help.
D

On Jun 7, 2016, at 4:20 PM, Rob Goldstone wrote:
Don
Hope all is well
Emin asked that I schedule a meeting with you and The Russian government attorney who is flying over from Moscow for this Thursday.
I believe you are aware of the meeting - and so wondered if 3pm or later on Thursday works for you?
I assume it would be at your office.
Best
Rob Goldstone

On Jun 7, 2016, at 5:16 PM, Donald Trump Jr. wrote:
How about 3 at our offices? Thanks rob appreciate you helping set it up.
D
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 7, 2016, at 5:19 PM, Rob Goldstone wrote:
Perfect won't sit in on the meeting, but will bring them at 3pm and introduce you etc.
I will send the names of the two people meeting with you for security when I have them later today.
best
Rob

On Jun 7, 2016, at 18:14, Donald Trump Jr. wrote:
Great. It will likely be Paul Manafort (campaign boss) my brother in law and me, 725 Fifth Ave 25th floor.
Sent from my iPhone

Sent: Wednesday June 08, 2016 10:34 AM
Good morning
Would it be possible to move tomorrow meeting to 4pm as the Russian attorney is in court until 3 i was just informed.
Best
Rob

On Jun 8, 2016, at 11:15, Donald Trump Jr. wrote:
Yes Rob I could do that unless they wanted to do 3 today instead... just let me know and ill lock it in either way.
d
Donald J. Trump Jr. Executive Vice President of Development and Acquisitions The Trump Organization 725 Fifth Avenue | New York, NY 10022

Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 11:18 AM
They can't do today as she hasn't landed yet from Moscow 4pm is great tomorrow.
Best
Rob

Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 12:03 PM
To: Jared Kushner, Paul Manafort
Subject: FW: Russia - Clinton - private and confidential
Meeting got moved to 4 tomorrow at my offices.
Best,
Don
Donald J. Trump Jr. Executive Vice President of Development and Acquisitions The Trump Organization 725 Fifth Avenue | New York, NY | 10022 n | trump.com

Indy

Post by Indy »

'Dack--Do you think that email chain will now make GOP Senators turn on Trump and support impeachment?

Nodack

Re: DJT Jr , J.Kushner / Russia meeting scanda

Post by Nodack »

No, I don't Only Graham and McCain are critical of Trump. Everybody else just treats Trump as the crazy unckle they put up with but, still support because he's part of the family. The emails are clear evidence that they were indeed working with the Russians to sway the election. Remember we started out with them saying they never met with any Russians. Now Trump Jr., Manafort, Tillerson, Sessions, Stone, Page, Kushner and Flynn have all had to admit their ties to Russians. I'm not buying that Trump was kept put of the loop and had no idea so many of his team were conversing with the Russians behind his back.

Politico chart. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ons-214868

Indy

Post by Indy »

Well, Graham and McCain whine about Trump, but they both follow the party line and do exactly what he wants. They are just bitches.

Indy

Re: DJT Jr , J.Kushner / Russia meeting scanda

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:No, I don't Only Graham and McCain are critical of Trump. Everybody else just treats Trump as the crazy unckle they put up with but, still support because he's part of the family. The emails are clear evidence that they were indeed working with the Russians to sway the election. Remember we started out with them saying they never met with any Russians. Now Trump Jr., Manafort, Tillerson, Sessions, Stone, Page, Kushner and Flynn have all had to admit their ties to Russians. I'm not buying that Trump was kept put of the loop and had no idea so many of his team were conversing with the Russians behind his back.

Politico chart. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ons-214868
Trump gave a rally/stump speech a couple hours after Junior confirmed the meeting. He said specifically that he was going to have a press conference in a week or so to share a lot of bad information about Clinton. There is plenty of evidence there that he knew the meeting was taking place, and the gist of what the meeting was about.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:Well, Graham and McCain whine about Trump, but they both follow the party line and do exactly what he wants. They are just bitches.
Lol. Yep.

The FBI opinion is the one that counts and they are really good at staying silent for long periods of time. My best guess is that this is keeping them very busy and that they won't disclose their findings for another six months. Just like Benghazi and the Republicans, Democrats are certainly not going to let this go anytime soon. Even if just like Benghazi nothing comes from this I think the damage has been done.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Today's news. Trump Jr. did nothing wrong. He was trapped by a Democrat conspiracy. The whole meeting was set up by Democrats in a sinister plot to get dirt on Trump. The Russian lawyer was a plant.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/14/media/t ... index.html

The Democrats wanted Hillary to win so badly that they were willing to go to extremes to trap him before the election? They got their dirt long before the election and then sat on it for a year and didn't bother showing their dirt before the election when it could have done some good? Does that make any sense? Not to me. It sounds like just another BS fabricated deflection to go along with all their other BS fabricated stories to deflect.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This article clears some things if true. I thought Trump Jr.'s story about orphans was made up BS but, it turns out it is partially true. The Russian lawyer did contact Trump Jr. and tell him they had dirt on Hillary they wanted to share. Once they met, the lawyer who doesn't speak English wanted to talk about (with a translator) the The Magnitsky Act instead. The circumstances of how she was in the country are also a little interesting and happened under Obama/Lynch.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... with-trump

The Magnitsky Act imposed financial and other sanctions on Russia for alleged human rights violations connected to the death of a Russian lawyer who claimed to uncover fraud during Putin's reign. Russia retaliated after the law was passed in 2012 by suspending Americans' ability to adopt Russian children.

The Moscow lawyer had been turned down for a visa to enter the U.S. lawfully but then was granted special immigration parole by then-Attorney General Loretta Lynch for the limited purpose of helping a company owned by Russian businessman Denis Katsyv, her client, defend itself against a Justice Department asset forfeiture case in federal court in New York City.

Interviews with a half dozen Americans who came in contact with Veselnitskaya or monitored her U.S. activities in 2016 make clear that one of her primary goals was to see if the Congress and/or other political leaders would be interested in repealing the 2012 Magnitsky Act punishing Russia or at least ensure the Magnitsky name would not be used on a new law working its way through Congress in 2016 to punish human rights violators across the globe.

"There’s zero doubt that she and her U.S. colleagues were lobbying to repeal Magnitsky or at least ensure his name was removed from the global law Congress was considering,” said U.S. businessman William Browder, who was the main proponent for the Magnitsky Act and who filed a FARA complaint against Veselnitskaya, Dellums and other U.S. officials, claiming they should have registered as foreign agent lobbyists because of the work.

The Russian lawyer used a music promoter friend to get an audience June 9 with Trump Jr. promising dirt on then-Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton but instead using the meeting to talk about Magnitsky and the adoption issue, according to Trump Jr. and Veselnitskaya.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So a week later and this is pretty much another non-story. It gets added to the mountain of suspicion but still no smoking gun. I'm waiting for Mueller's report because I think he'll dig up the most dirt, unless Trump fires him first. Trump's financials are where the answers lie; follow the money.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:So a week later and this is pretty much another non-story. It gets added to the mountain of suspicion but still no smoking gun. I'm waiting for Mueller's report because I think he'll dig up the most dirt, unless Trump fires him first. Trump's financials are where the answers lie; follow the money.
Yep. When it was heard Mueller was going to look into Trump's financials was when Trump started talking about his power to pardon himself and his family.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Always gotta follow the money. Looking into his financials will uncover EVERYTHING, legal or otherwise. That's what he's most scared of, that's when the walls will start closing in. The pattern of firing people or threatening to fire people who get too close to things he doesn't want uncovered might just be what does him in. Fire Comey, threaten to fire/discredit Mueller, Sessions is on the outs it seems. Disturbing trend. He's gotten away with everything else he's said and done, I don't think he'd get away with all of that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:So a week later and this is pretty much another non-story. It gets added to the mountain of suspicion but still no smoking gun. I'm waiting for Mueller's report because I think he'll dig up the most dirt, unless Trump fires him first. Trump's financials are where the answers lie; follow the money.
I don't think it is a non-story, but you are right that the investigation is ongoing and that this is not the end of any particular story yet.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am so sick of Trump. He just disgusts me as a human being. All his followers can talk about is winning their war against Liberals. Thats all this is to them, a war against Liberals. There is no right or wrong, it's just about winning the war. Undo anything Obama did out of spite. Get rid of Obamacare out of spite and not even care what our health care looks like after that. This is so sad.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The latest leaked word is that it seems Donald Trump himself may have dictated to Don Jr the false public statement he gave about his meeting with Russian operatives/spies. If true, this is a White House cover-up and could lead to accusations or charges against the President.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 5bfc28950a

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mueller has requested a grand jury. This is really big. My understanding is that this means he has enough evidence to support a likely conviction.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/0 ... 3?lo=ap_e1

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Mueller has requested a grand jury. This is really big. My understanding is that this means he has enough evidence to support a likely conviction.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/0 ... 3?lo=ap_e1
From the judges I have read, it simply means he wants to subpoena people to talk to them. It has no indication there is evidence to even bring charges yet, to anyone, much less the president.