DJT Jr , J.Kushner / Russia meeting scandal

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: DJT Jr , J.Kushner / Russia meeting scandal

Post by Nodack »

If you are being subpoenaed by the FBI, that isn't a good thing.

Trump drew his red line in the sand forbidding Mueller from looking into his taxes and finances. Now Mueller is looking into Trumps taxes and finances.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:If you are being subpoenaed by the FBI, that isn't a good thing.

Trump drew his red line in the sand forbidding Mueller from looking into his taxes and finances. Now Mueller is looking into Trumps taxes and finances.
Agreed. But "isn't a good thing" doesn't equal "likely conviction."

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:Agreed. But "isn't a good thing" doesn't equal "likely conviction."
It doesn't, sadly. I did recently read that grand juries choose to indict over 99% of the time unless you're a law enforcement officer. So there's a very good chance that Mueller has some real evidence of some bad stuff going on.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I misspoke when I said "likely conviction"; I meant to say, "likely indictment." My bad.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:Agreed. But "isn't a good thing" doesn't equal "likely conviction."
It doesn't, sadly. I did recently read that grand juries choose to indict over 99% of the time unless you're a law enforcement officer. So there's a very good chance that Mueller has some real evidence of some bad stuff going on.
True, but there isn't a very good sample size for this kind of GJ. And getting an indictment for Flynn seems pretty clear, and likely manafort.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Conducting an announced raid on Manafort's home and seizing records sounds a little more serious than a nothing burger.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/345870 ... me-in-july

FBI agents late last month conducted a raid at the home of Paul Manafort, President Trump's former campaign manager. The agents had a search warrant to seize materials from Manafort's residence in Alexandria, Va. Federal agents arrived at Manafort's home without warning and departed with records, according to the Post.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Pretty interesting development about Manifort. You'd think he would have had months to hide / scrub / get rid of anything truly incriminating if he really did have anything there to be found, though.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The most interesting thing about that story is that it happened in July. And nobody knew until yesterday. Meaning Mueller and his team are incredible tight lipped and professional.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Some on the right take the quiet as evidence that there is no evidence. I am with Indy. The FBI doesn't announce their every move. They keep it to themselves mostly. They will let you know you are in trouble when they put the cuffs on you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I read an article saying that it is extremely unusual for a probe like this to use search warrants. It said that they had to prove to a judge there is a really good chance that there is not only evidence at the location, but that it wouldn't be turned over during normal proceedings, and that it was likely to be destroyed.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The thing I don't get is, why wouldn't he just destroy it a month or two ago? So they raid his house before he has a chance to destroy evidence. But he's known for months that he's a likely target of this investigation. Wouldn't he have just discarded and destroyed anything he could find that was incriminating?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The thing I don't get is, why wouldn't he just destroy it a month or two ago? So they raid his house before he has a chance to destroy evidence. But he's known for months that he's a likely target of this investigation. Wouldn't he have just discarded and destroyed anything he could find that was incriminating?
I am sure you know this better than most, but it isn't easy to destroy electronic evidence (unless you are willing to do a lot of damage to the other things on your computer you actually want to keep). I am doubting they pulled out a lot of manilla folders with printed papers in them (unless he is just really, really stupid).

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The thing I don't get is, why wouldn't he just destroy it a month or two ago? So they raid his house before he has a chance to destroy evidence. But he's known for months that he's a likely target of this investigation. Wouldn't he have just discarded and destroyed anything he could find that was incriminating?
I am sure you know this better than most, but it isn't easy to destroy electronic evidence (unless you are willing to do a lot of damage to the other things on your computer you actually want to keep). I am doubting they pulled out a lot of manilla folders with printed papers in them (unless he is just really, really stupid).
Data can be recovered after being overwritten?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If you don't wipe a hard drive properly, much of it can be recovered even after deletion. The very abbreviated explanation is that "deleting" a file doesn't actually erase it; it simply marks that area of your hard drive as being available for new files. So if no new file happened to be written into that space on the drive, the old file contents are still there and can be restored.

You can get "disk eraser" programs that forcibly write 0s over all of your hard drive, fully erasing everything with no ability to restore. But a lot of muggles don't know how to do that, or even that you would need to do that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:If you don't wipe a hard drive properly, much of it can be recovered even after deletion. The very abbreviated explanation is that "deleting" a file doesn't actually erase it; it simply marks that area of your hard drive as being available for new files. So if no new file happened to be written into that space on the drive, the old file contents are still there and can be restored.

You can get "disk eraser" programs that forcibly write 0s over all of your hard drive, fully erasing everything with no ability to restore. But a lot of muggles don't know how to do that, or even that you would need to do that.
And doing so means you are wiping out everything. Not just the files you wanted to delete.

And if you do any business via emails, that isn't going to help since there is a record on the server (if they haven't been wiped).

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If Manafort did have incriminating evidence that he wanted wiped and thought he might be getting a visit from the FBI you would think he would have the friends/resources to make that evidence dissapear if he had months to do it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/28/politics/ ... index.html

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump's attorney reached out to the Kremlin for assistance in building a Trump Tower in Moscow well into the business mogul's presidential campaign, he said Monday, adding that he discussed the project with Trump three times.

Previous reports have indicated that efforts to build a Trump Tower in Moscow were underway during the presidential campaign in 2015, but it had not been reported that those efforts continued into 2016

Indy

Post by Indy »

Proof of another outrageous lie. This must be another day that ends in 'y.' This is such an embarrassment that none of this matters to the people in this country.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I can't tell whether any of it matters any more. People just don't even react to this stuff when it comes out. I think this is a really dark time in our nation's history. You basically can't get anybody upset about scandals and misbehavior. We have become desensitized to it through how deeply corrupt and improper he is. He would have to be literally caught committing a murder on camera or something.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I can't tell whether any of it matters any more. People just don't even react to this stuff when it comes out. I think this is a really dark time in our nation's history. You basically can't get anybody upset about scandals and misbehavior. We have become desensitized to it through how deeply corrupt and improper he is. He would have to be literally caught committing a murder on camera or something.
Well, keep in mind we have plenty of instances of people in power killing people on camera with no repercussions. So for Donald, it would have to be in HD (so it couldn't be said it was doctored) and it would have to be a white guy (that isn't one of those crazies on the left like antifa or Michael Moore). Then maybe enough people would care.